Finished is Better Than Perfect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September's Number

Hi everyone! Here it is - September's number is 2. Previous month's numbers were: January, 3; February, 1; March, 10; April, 9; May 12; June, 8; July, 4; August, 7.

Wow! September is here already! Children are back in school, or, gasp, away at college! Starbucks already has their pumpkin spice latte available (never have had one!). I see the days getting shorter - just barely noticeably so. What is it like in the southern hemisphere?

How is everyone doing - project/quilt wise and also generally? JJ (my dog) and I have had some more medical issues in August, but we seem to be on the mend again!
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Hi Sylvia,
    I'm happy to say my #2 was done this past winter when I had a bit more time to finish that one and a few others. I still have others to work on, it's not for lack of UFOs. Yesterday I rented a long arm at my LQS, and quilted the 3 Dudes quilt for my girlfriend. It measures 103" x 103", quite large. Now to bury any threads and attach the binding. She also bought fabric for pillow shams and throw pillows, so this is my next project to finish in the next few weeks.

We had a busy summer, as I flew to Kansas twice this summer. First to get my FIL in a memory care residence and assess what needed to be done with the family home. There was a hording relative that lived there in recrnt years, and them living in same house for over 65 years, but at least there were no animals living there. Not even a bug, mouse or other critter. So that was bonus or I would have freaked. I hired junk removal people and other services to coincide with the second trip. We had relatives come and help themselves to the many tools, furniture and MIL's artwork. That went well. Then the junk removal people came. They did sort and put aside two rooms full of new items in packages and boxes for donation to women's shelter and for veterans. A lot of furniture was also donated. The rest was separated for metal, and I found a couple in need to take it away so they could sell it. The remainder was junked. The wood piles were donated. The four abandoned cars and trailers were sold, as well as some of the larger new equipment. At the end of the week, the house, garage and yard was cleared of everything. Landscaping was all done, trees pruned, grass cut. It looked like a family home for the next owners. Now I am just waiting to hear that the house has been listed. That was my exhausting summer.

We also had a new grandson born this week. We now have 6 grandchildren under the age of 6. I hope to spend some time with them as they are all in town. I feel my attention is split between my mom who will be 95 this week, and grandkids. Sometimes I would just like to get away from everyone and sew for a rest. I think I hear retreat in my future.

Have a good month everyone and I look forward to seeing your finished projects, or sewing distractions.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I am way behind, but still making progress. I hope to do some catching up this weekend. I spent some time last weekend cutting strips in preparation for more sewing. I'll get there, just not as fast as I would have liked. But finished is better than perfect, and even if I don't finish all of the UFOs I put on my list, anything done is progress!

Comment

Thanks for posting September's number. I had done #2 earlier in the year when I was switching things around. I am behind with my own stuff as I've spent a lot of time making things for my friend at church who fundraises for The Leprosy Mission.

I've made a few other bits and pieces (not on my list) and have had a few holidays but hope to start catching up in the next week or so.

Comment

Well, I knew I wouldn't get much sewing in during camping season and I didn't. We had a couple of medical emergency's take place during the summer with my mom and hubby which prevented us from camping 3 weekends but everyone is dong better and so we are now back to camping every weekend until the weather gets to where we can't do it any longer.

I did some memory bears for a co-worker and a couple of other little projects not on the list. I really just need to get to my sewing room after work every night during the week even if it is just for 30 minutes a night so that I feel like I am accomplishing something especially on the Harry Potter quilt which has to be done by Christmas.

Comment

I finished my #2 on the list! It truly is my "finished is better than perfect" quilt top. I started it a couple of years ago and really struggled with it. It's a cross walk pattern from Jenny's tutorial, and I had a terrible time getting the pieces to line up correctly. I put it away and just got it out a couple of weeks ago. I know there are mistakes in it, but now that it's finished, I don't notice them as much. I think the quilting will help to disguise some of them. I like it much better than I thought I would when I was originally working on it. Now to see what else I can catch up on.

Comment

We're not quite in the southern hemisphere, Tropic of Cancer, but it's HOT. Really hot and humid! Not much motivation to quilt but I sit by the air conditioned room with a fan on me and I have been able to piece. Need to start quilting some things Monday. I'll see how I do. Might have to go back to piecing .

Comment

Finished is Better Than Perfect

About this Group

Do you have some UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that you want to finish? Are you having a hard time choosing what to finish next, or are you just not feeling motivated? Do you have some specific goals you want to complete in 2018? This group is for you! We have a fun way to get those projects done in 2018.

Here is how it works.

First, you create a list, numbered from 1 - 12, of 1) things you want to finish; 2) OR projects you want to do; 3) OR a combination of 1 and 2. Then, you post your list to this group. (You can edit and change your list at any time.)

Every month, this group will publish a random number between 1 - 12. We will each work on that number from our list. If you prefer to do your list in a particular order, you can certainly do it that way as well. When you have finished your project, please post a picture here as well.

We’re here to support each other. It’s amazing how knowing what project to tackle helps to motivate us to finish what we start.
              Type: Public
              Topics: 71
              Comments: 389

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X