Finished is Better Than Perfect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First week of the year!

One week in the books, and I am proud to say that I got my sewing/embroidery machine set up!!!! I know it doesn't sound like much, but my poor Janome 11000 SE had been in the repair shop for close to three months. Then it sat next to my sewing cabinet all through Christmas and New Years. Yesterday, I finally got our "Christmas" cards posted. (I tend to rely on the old fashioned 12 days of Christmas starting on the 25th and ending on Epiphany. If the cards get out by January 6, I'm good!)

So after my sweet hubby took the Christmas cards to the Post Office, we went to a Saturday night church service with the plan that I would finish AT LEAST THREE STEPS of my Hoopsisters quilt block. I got two steps in and realized I couldn't find my water soluble thread. I spent the rest of the evening looking for it, straight up until bedtime.

My sweet hubby said that if it would help,he'd ask me some questions to try to jog my memory. Bless his heart, I realized that I was not only missing my water soluble thread but also my embroidery bobbin thread and the multiple cones of embroidery thread needed to finish the quilt, as well as a ton of Janome blue tip needles!!!! And then I remembered that those were all in a zippered bag together, and I was pretty sure I knew where that bag was. I slept soundly, got up, found the bag, and today—finally, finally,finally—I'm Hoopsister-ing away!

That's how my first week of the year went. How about yours?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Don't we all have naughty elves in our sewing rooms?
    I haven't worked yet on my #3, as this consists in assembling a large quilt and all my space in my sewing room is filled with On Ringo Lake blocks from Bonnie Hunter's last mystery. I have a few days off this week so I hope to be done with this soon.
    I actually pulled out the box that contains my #6: hand sewed British paper pieced hexis. I counted how many clusters I had (51) and decided on the final number for a lap sized quilt (63) so I kitted and started basting enough hexis for the remaining (12) clusters needed. I am about to take the train in 1 h to babysit my nieces as every Monday, and I will certainly have some random moments (in the train or while they are at the playground) when I can stitch a little.

Comment

Good use of your time, Lourixe!

Comment

I am supposed to be working on #3 which is part quilted but spent several days tidying my stash. That's done, now I just have to sort my scraps but have decided to do a bit at a time, at least all the scraps have been separated into 3 boxes, Christmas fabrics, 2-2.5" and over 2.5" - have decided not to save tiny bits but when I get a bag full I make new cat cushions.

After a very busy 4 days I had some time so cut 2x2.5" pieces for my temperature quilt - 365 of them plus a few extras for the key. Didn't do myself any favours as all the standing and bending plays havoc with my hips and back - now in pain so will have to rest!!

Wednesday will be the next time I can get in the sewing room

Comment

I made a lot of progress on my #3 this weekend and finished piecing the top. I still have a lot to do though. I still need to purchase the backing and binding then quilt and bind it. I currently have a practice quilt on my frame so need to finish practicing my FMQing so I can get #3 on the frame. I have next Monday off for MLK day so I'm hoping to at least get it on the frame next weekend.

Comment

Sounds like everyone is having a pretty good first week. I too have been focused on my On Ringo Lake quilt; but I'm not even to the block stage yet--I'm still on clues 4 & 5. I did make progress on my monthly goals this weekend though. I got two backings made (one for my #3 FMQ and one for a hand-quilting project), have almost finished the blocks for my piecing #3, and got the binding started on another UFO. Hoping to make some more progress before I go to bed.
            "I must be royalty, I have quilts-in-waiting."

Comment

I'm going great guns now. My hope is that I can keep up at least half this pace!

Comment

I 'm on a roll also. Yesterday I started quilting my Summer in the Park quilt. It's about queen size. I finished the top, pieced and backing and binding in 2016. So it's the oldest not-quilted top in my cupboard. I got the blocks and border with stitch in the ditch. I am just pondering how to quilt each block. I will check books and do simple FMQ - on my Sweet 16. Maybe I will try out some of those rulers that I have been buying.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Got the center rows sewn into strips. We're getting new carpet so a lot of furniture moving and cleaning is going on, so I don't think I'll have much energy to work in the quilt until that is done.

Comment

These responses have lit a fire under me to get going! I've been procrastinating instead of cleaning up my sewing room so I have a nice clean room to start the new year off with.
                    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I have finished my On Ringo Lake mystery quilt top (not an UFO) but it means I can now tidy up my sewing room and hang a DIY design wall (large piece of fleece) to assemble my long forgotten Jamestown Landing blocks.

Comment

Finished is Better Than Perfect

About this Group

Do you have some UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that you want to finish? Are you having a hard time choosing what to finish next, or are you just not feeling motivated? Do you have some specific goals you want to complete in 2018? This group is for you! We have a fun way to get those projects done in 2018.

Here is how it works.

First, you create a list, numbered from 1 - 12, of 1) things you want to finish; 2) OR projects you want to do; 3) OR a combination of 1 and 2. Then, you post your list to this group. (You can edit and change your list at any time.)

Every month, this group will publish a random number between 1 - 12. We will each work on that number from our list. If you prefer to do your list in a particular order, you can certainly do it that way as well. When you have finished your project, please post a picture here as well.

We’re here to support each other. It’s amazing how knowing what project to tackle helps to motivate us to finish what we start.
                      Type: Public
                      Topics: 71
                      Comments: 389

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X