No announcement yet.

Farm Girl Vintage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for Working with the little pieces!!

I've been working on some Row by Row Experience blocks with small half square triangles and got a great tip from a recent thread on the forum whether to steam or not steam. Rebecca and Pam recommended finger pressing and pressing once the block is complete. I decided to give it a try as my 2 1/2" and 2 1/8" half square triangles seemed to be shrinking that I was working on and I was struggling to make things match up. See my update on the original thread here http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/qui...triangles.html

What are some other tips folks have for working with the smaller pieces?? Most of these 6" Farm Girl Vintage blocks have some pretty small pieces!

Terri

I have been working on the little 6 inch blocks since July. The one thing that I have found super helpful is to saturate your fabric w starch before you cut your pieces...let it dry and them steam press it til it is almost stiff. Got this off a Lisa Bonjeans video. When I have cut my pieces and actually start assembling the block I then turn off the steam and press w a dry iron. And squaring up the subunits to the blocks before final assembly. Also pressed all seams open. My blocks have improved so much since doing this I think I am going to redo some of the first ones I did. Must say the 14x14 inch barn blocks in the back of the book are super easy and super fun to do.

Comment

Thanks!! I make all the HSTs significantly larger and then cut down to the size they need to be after a really really good steam and starch press. I heavily starch them b/c I tend to use the method Jenny uses for 4 HSTs at a time and it leaves bias edges, the starch keeps them from distorting

Comment

Farm Girl Vintage

About this Group

A group for fans of the Farm Girl Vintage books and patterns by Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnet. Share your plans and ideas for projects using these fun patterns and share your photos of finished projects!

The image in our group icon is from http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.ca/2015/01/pre-order-my-new-bookfarm-girl-vintage.html - definitely a place for some inspiration!
      Type: Public
      Topics: 18
      Comments: 76

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X