5. Owl Quilt - Quilt & Bind
    6. Purple Piping Quilt - Quilt & Bind
    7. Teal & Gold Bird Quilt - Quilt & Bind
    8. I Spy Quilt - Quilt & Bind
    9. WSQG QW20 Challenge Quilt - Piece, Quilt, Bind & Embellish
    10. Black & Orange Quilt - Finish Appliqué, Quilt & Bind
    11. Poppy Quilt - Quilt & Bind
    12. WSQG Mystery Quilt - Piece, Quilt & Bind

As you can see from my list I seem to be able to get the quilts pieced but have difficulty getting them quilted. I get stuck when it comes to the quilting because I’m afraid I’ll ruin the top. I’m a total novice when it comes to the actual quilting. I know that by doing I’ll gain more confidence & get better but taking the leap is difficult.

Join the club!!!

Comment

Try something small. You know the blocks that backed the clear vinyl zippered pouches you made? Something like that size.
      I putzed around with that size and made hot pads, and cushion thingies for between my serving bowls & platters. Nobody will see them, they are somewhat useful, and I got practice both straight line and free motion quilting. Most of them I didn't even bother to bind! I used weird fabrics that I had inherited and made patterns to go over them.
      It helped a lot to build confidence. I'm sure you will do just fine!
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I shouldn’t give advice, because my FMQ skills leave much too be desired. But I am better than I was 2 years ago. I like walking foot quilting, and can do straightish and wavy lines well enough to please me. I try to make a potholder every quilt and I experiment on that before venturing on quilt. It gives me a bit of confidence. Also I have a quilting call my picnic quilt that has huge areas that I experiment with FMQ. It is on my list to finish.. the Fmq is so bad on it, though and so random ...

Comment

I like to practice on placemats. They give me enough area to really get into a pattern, and then we can use them without worrying about spills, etc. My mom also really likes getting them.
          Lyn

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
          🙄

Comment

Yes, try straight lines with your walking foot, like Old Newbie says. If you can piece, you can do straight or wavy lines. Also, if your machine has a serpentine stitch you could adjust the length/width of that stitch and give it a try. You might enjoy watching Jacquie Gering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVIj...cD9sqvlWug0xLg
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I practice my FMQing on ugly fabrics. Then either I cut them in smaller pads that I use as pot holders (my DH destroys them faster than I sew them when he BBQs) or cat mats that I place on the windowsill for my cat to bask on them. She doesn't mind the booboos. I have also used some between my frying pans when I pile them up. There are many domestic uses for bad samples. If they are a little better, they become cushion covers.

Comment

The only advice I can offer is to take the smallest quilt, and plan out how you want to quilt it. Stich iin ditch is good, actually stitch next to ditch is better. Just have fun and don't stress over the finished product. It's better than a top sitting on a shelf.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

get the right fm foot i.e open toe or closed for you and set the tension, grab on old pillow case, make a sandwich, all stitching will all look strange at first, keep going, try echoing and dont forget to breathe relax shoulders, you have got this. xx

Comment

2020 Fabulous Finishing Group

About this Group

Do you have some UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that you want to finish? Are you having a hard time choosing what to finish next, or are you just not feeling motivated? Do you have some specific goals you want to complete in 2020? This group is for you! We have a fun way to get those projects done in 2020.

Here is how it works.

First, you create a list, numbered from 1 - 12, of 1) things you want to finish; 2) OR projects you want to do; 3) OR a combination of 1 and 2. Then, you post your list to this group. (You can edit and change your list at any time.)

Every month, this group will publish a random number between 1 - 12. We will each work on that number from our list. If you prefer to do your list in a particular order, you can certainly do it that way as well. When you have finished your project, please post a picture here as well.

We’re here to support each other. It’s amazing how knowing what project to tackle helps to motivate us to finish what we start.
                  Type: Public
                  Topics: 41
                  Comments: 403

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X