Kimsophia's list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kimsophia's list

I got half my projects done from last year so I am importing the undone ones and adding new ones. Two of those are well underway and won't be hard to polish off if I stick to them.

I really aim to NOT buy anything more. That means not browsing online for anything more! I have enough instructions that I've really wanted at the time and bought, but have gotten lukewarm about in the meantime. :P

1. Sue Spargo wool applique

2. Erica Wilson unicorn museum needlepoint (underway) DONE

3. 3-D cottage cross stitch

4. 3-D nativity: donkey, sheep, two shepherds, ox?

5. Finish two Erica Wilson autumn needlepoints into pillow

6. Finish Seashells Cross Stitch (underway) DONE

7. "Trick or Treat" Victoria Sampler

8. Smithsonian museum abolitionist sampler

9. The Happy Childhood sampler

10. "Silk Wisteria" Victoria Sampler

11. Country Diary/Wildflower embroidery

12. Jacobean Crewel Work (substituted nightgown) DONE

or, substitute:

13. I Love Cats bookmark (substituted puff padding chair cushion) DONE

That ought to keep me off the streets for another year ;-)

You'll notice no quilting this year. I really can't face it for a good long while. I find it too stressful. Accurate measuring and cutting and sewing are not my strong suit. I still use the machine for mending and I might use flannel from my stash for something but nothing big. I might make felt toys again at some point too.

I'm especially pleased with my needlepointed footstool and reupholstered chairs from 2019. And I'm now taking stuff to the consignment store from my mom's estate that have been stored here for 25 years. I don't think I'll be using any of that stuff, and I never did, but it has been so painful to face getting rid of it until now.

Can't wait to see everyone's photos of their triumphant finishes in 2020!
    Last edited by kimsophia; March 26th, 2020, 05:57 PM.

Looks like you love handwork. You should try a hexi quilt if you’ve never done one. The cutting doesn’t have to be precise, and it is handwork. I love it! I can’t see well enough to do the counted cross stitch anymore. I loved doing that, but I like it on the really small fabric, and it makes me blind! The hexis give me the same satisfaction.

Comment

Thanks, I did not know that about hexi quilts. I made the MSQC Floating Hexagons but that was definitely a machine made piece...

Comment

I am curious about the Smithsonian abolitionist piece. Sounds very interesting.

Comment

I'm trying unsuccessfully to copy a photo in here. When my husband wakes up he will probably be able to figure it out.

Anyway, I like to shop on eBay for bargains or for partially completed pieces which I then finish. Somehow it makes me feel good to finish up a project someone started. I feel like I'm helping her (or him) out. Also these can be real bargains because most people do not want to work on somebody else's piece. Browsing one day, I found this kit for a very strange needlepoint reproducing of a Smithsonian Museum cross stitch sampler. I've done two other museum pieces. Somehow these make me feel connected to the original work and its crafters. So there's another thing I enjoy, and this piece was not like any samplers I've seen. For one thing, it had African Americans on it, for another, it had devils on it, and well, it had a ton of things I have never seen stitched into a sampler before (a Punch and Judy show?) but no alphabet. I couldn't find a photo of it in the Smithsonian website's photos of their samplers, but I contacted them and they kindly wrote back and sent me a close up photo to see what was going on. The canvas needlepoint kit only has a portion of the entire piece. It is believed to be an abolitionist piece due to the "We's free" caption beneath a dancing African American couple. I'll try to get a photo in.

Comment

My number nine is a happy childhood sampler. This was inspired by a cross stitch patterns by Perrette Samouiloff called Happy Childhood, The Playground and Gone Fishing.

https://www.creativepoppypatterns.co...l-296_299.html

Now I'm not sure I want to make it all cross stitch. I can do a variety of embroidery stitches. The idea is to depict some happy scenes from my childhood and I sketched out a plan a year or two ago. I'm going to think some more on this while I rip out bad areas of the unicorn needlepoint. I think I'm going to switch the center area from tent stitch to long stitch. Thankfully I had not stitched a lot of tent stitches in this area. Ripping it out is dangerous because I've put holes in the canvas doing it. I can reweave canvas, but it's not my ideal job.

Comment

I'm blocking the unicorn needlepoint tonight. I ripped out the long stitches and did them over a few times before I liked how it looked. It's tougher to erase your mistakes on canvas than paper! :P

Comment

Forgot I needed to sew a double row of continental tent stitch all around the border for sewing the pillow case onto...well at least that's a no brainer.

Comment

I did not think of eBay as a source unfinished items. That is history in itself. . Your project sounds fascinating

Comment

If you are interested in abolitionist stitching, this is an article the Smithsonian lady recommended: https://portside.org/2019-12-09/obje...at-does-it-say

My unicorn needlepoint is still warped enough that I'm reblocking it to get it more square. In the meantime I'm reworking my first pillow. I sorta know what I'm doing this time, so I sewed strips of leftover chair reupholstery project fabric along the sides of the top to expand it. Now I just need to attach the backing fabric to the front. That seems like it would be an easy matter, but it isn't. The pillow form is overstuffed with feathers which makes it very comfy to lean against, but abnormally warped high in the center and skinny and flat at the corners. So I'm not going to be able to bang out three straight seams and just hand stitch the rest shut. I'll be basting it first to get a better grip on what I'll need to do to fit the pillow nicely, as the shape of the form is so curved. Oh, and the fabric has a rectangular pattern on it, so there's directionality to the fabric for an extra degree of difficulty! My poor brain!

Comment

We got stomach flu these past several days around here and nobody's been doing much of anything, but I did get the unicorn pillow finished. I also re-did the finishing of the "spring meadows" needlepoint pillow so both match now, using leftover chair upholstery material. I changed the unicorn pillow quite a bit from the original pattern. I changed the colors and even the shapes on the outside of the medallion area to look more like a Kaffe Fassett piece I like called The Blue Orchard Chair. He had his crew needlepoint an entire chair, seat, back and arms. He's done a few of those large works, including a sofa to match the large painting above it so it looks like a continuation of it. I can't really imagine doing something that large, although he uses long stitch instead of tent.

The pillow form was a lot easier to fit than I thought. It really was three straight seams and hand stitch the bottom shut. The striping caused by the rectangles actually made it easier to sew straight. So I crossed off my #2 today.

Comment

We seem to be in the 6-9 inch snow forecast now for Saturday night. We have a big snowblower so there will be no need to break our backs shoveling but we should buy some groceries. I have been researching my Sue Spargo project again. I bought the Craftsy class tutorial for this, which has changed to a company called Bluprint, but I did find they have my account still. It's wool applique, which I haven't done before, and her class isn't real technique specific. I'm seeing mixed opinions about using interfacing under the wool. It can't be a heavy type that my hand needle will have trouble piercing but there's a knit type I might try an experiment with stitching on using scraps. I don't want the wool background getting distorted and baggy from the handling while stitching. She seems to compensate for the sagginess by heavily quilting everything afterward but I'd rather skip that step. I'm also thinking of changing the piece from a grid of butterflies to a spring garden motif with a variety of her flowers, leaves, birds and bugs. So, lots to think about...

Comment

There are lots of little skinny icicles hanging from the trees and deck railings. The crabapples all have tails. The snow will be starting soon.

I can't use the knit interfacing under the wool and then embroider through that--it's still plastic that blocks piercing by my needle, so the Sue Spargo project will be baggy or quilted. I've ordered a Sue Spargo book so I can see her stitching more clearly than I can on her Craftsy video class.

Since there's not going to be any tapestry yarn weight needlepointing going on here I sorted out all my wool tapestry yarn from my wool crewel yarn and bagged them separately by color. That was a job enough to make me not want to stitch tonight. It looks better in the sewing room now, though. I never thought I'd have a yarn supply since my cousins are the knitters/crocheters.

Comment

The Sue Spargo book came yesterday, Stitches to Savor. It's all close up photos of her wool applique work, so very interesting to see but hard to replicate without purchasing from her expensive wool collections, both wool fabric and wool/acrylic yarn blend threads. For instance her latest kit is Homegrown, selling for $475 for a 48 inch square piece: https://www.suespargo.com/store-detail.php?ID=7155

The design is similar in theme and color to my 90+ inch Kim MacLean "Village" quilt, so I don't feel the need to replicate that again. I guess I will just put the wool applique idea aside for a while longer until some creativity strikes me. I really like the work of Nancy Krampf and would like to add miniature bottles to a piece similar to something she did.

Until then I am finishing the other piece I have well underway, my seashells cross stitch. I'm having troubles with that too and have picked out sections to redo. It's a two steps forward, one step back situation here with below zero temperatures on the way this weekend. Eeek! Stay warm, everybody!

Comment

We are done with our snow for now. I hope your cross-stitching goes easier now!
                              Be who you are and say what you feel
                              because those who mind don't matter,
                              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

2020 Fabulous Finishing Group

About this Group

Do you have some UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that you want to finish? Are you having a hard time choosing what to finish next, or are you just not feeling motivated? Do you have some specific goals you want to complete in 2020? This group is for you! We have a fun way to get those projects done in 2020.

Here is how it works.

First, you create a list, numbered from 1 - 12, of 1) things you want to finish; 2) OR projects you want to do; 3) OR a combination of 1 and 2. Then, you post your list to this group. (You can edit and change your list at any time.)

Every month, this group will publish a random number between 1 - 12. We will each work on that number from our list. If you prefer to do your list in a particular order, you can certainly do it that way as well. When you have finished your project, please post a picture here as well.

We’re here to support each other. It’s amazing how knowing what project to tackle helps to motivate us to finish what we start.
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 32
                              Comments: 310

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X