2019 Fall Forum Retreat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retreat Packing List Ideas

Below is a list of Retreat Packing items that might help you figure out what you want to pack. This is a list is compiled from many people bring – please don’t feel like you need to bring everything on the list as this is to just give you some ideas of what you might want to bring.

***Please label your items as many have the same brand of item or things are borrowed and it is easier to return the items to the owner.***

-Wrapped layer cake or jelly roll if you wish to participate in the Sunday night game (this replaces doing favors)
    -One Door prize unwrapped if you wish to participate - just one door prize
    -Jelly roll strips if you are doing the strip game on Sunday night
    -Show and tell items if you would like to share something you have made with the group
    -If you have anything you want to get rid of, we will have the “I Don’t Want It, You Can Have It” table again this year
    -Donation of $5 for the charity quilt supplies
    -A little cash ($20 for possibly two optional outings)

For the mini lessons this year, we are going to do lessons to put a quilt together from start to finish. The size will be a baby quilt with borders. Finished size will be approximately 33 x 38 inches.

Supplies needed

Charm pack or 42 - 5 inch squares
    1 yard backing fabric (regular width of fabric)
    1/2 yard border fabric
    1/2 yard binding fabric
    batting approximately 36 inches by 42 (low loft works well)
    thread for piecing (could be the same as the matching thread)
    matching/neutral thread for sewing machine quilting

There should be plenty of time for you to work on your own personal projects, shop, visit or whatever else you would like to do.

Other things to possibly bring:
    My camera and battery charger or extra batteries (additional Memory Card for Camera if needed)
    My cell phone and charger
    My personal chair (if convenient) or a chair cushion
    *Missouri Star Retreat Center has chairs and tables (each person will have a 2ft by 4 ft table to themselves) available
    My cutting mat
    My rotary cutter and extra blades
    My sewing machine with presser feet, foot control, power cord, and lots of bobbins (don't forget the 1/4 inch foot and walking foot)
    *Missouri Star has some machines available to rent for free - this can be done through Eventbrite and letting me know would be a huge help
    My extension cord or power strip (MSQC has plenty of these)
    Fabric marking pens, pencils, and a Sharpie
    A notebook and/or sketch pad
    My Ott light or work light (if desired)
    My thread catcher/pincushion
    My personal fan
    My rulers and templates (what I will need for my planned projects)
    My scissors, both paper and cloth, thread snippers
    My machine screwdriver (for changing feet and needles)
    My seam ripper (hopefully I won't need it)
    My starch or sizing
    Sticky labels for marking my supplies
    Tape, painter's tape and Scotch tape
    My needles and thimble (both machine and hand sewing needles, if you please)
    My thread
    My planned projects separated into small totes or zip-lock bags
    My patterns
    Small fun projects for when I get tired and need to switch off and kick back (zipper bags, pincushions, etc.)
    Scraps to test my machine tension and to use for Leaders and Enders
    Notions for my planned projects
    A measuring tape
    Quilter's glue (if you use it - Elmer's school glue or a washable glue stick)
    Extra zip-lock bags

*It is suggested to plan your projects well in advance, package planned projects with all items necessary for that project completion. That may involve precutting blocks, including extra fabric, the pattern, thread for completing the project, zippers, buttons, batting, backing, binding, etc.

Missouri Star has irons and ironing board stations set up, along with some cutting stations and design walls

Additional items for personal comfort
    My glasses
    Prescriptions and medicines
    A refillable water bottle (with a cover to prevent spills)
    Pain killers
    Band-aids
    Nail file
    Kleenex
    Lip balm
    Hand lotion
    Layered clothing (A jacket/sweater in case you get chilly)
    Comfortable shoes, slippers, fuzzy socks
    Snacks to share (some should try to be healthy)
    CHOCOLATE
    Stain remover pen
    Maps

MY WALLET FULL OF CREDIT CARDS AND MONEY

If staying at the retreat center, a robe, PJs, slippers, hairdryer, personal bathroom items
    Velcro
    Shopping list
    Gift Cards

Mints or hard candy
    Tweezers (helps to grab tiny threads if needed)
    Lint roller helps to remove threads and stuff from clothes or project
    Not necessary but was helpful to me - laptop/Ipad (and headphones) these came in handy when I was working on a new project, I just played and paused as I sewed through the project
    empty sterlite tote or two left in the van to put my purchases in that way they are don't end up all over the van.
    Pinking shears
    Spray adhesive if you use it
    My sewing box of notions (Pins, needles, machine tools, extra feet, tape measures, etc)
    Revolving mat
    Kits of projects
    IPod with music, dock and headphones
    a little notepad and pencil for jotting down notes or sharing phone numbers/emails
    projects in bags

Soda pop or favorite nonalcoholic drink (there is a grocery store at the end of the block)
    My Missouri Star tumbler for drinks (MSQC provides flavored water, coffee and tea) with name on it
    Surge protector with enough plug ins for all your stuff (MSQC does have plenty of these)
    Shelf liner or mat to put under sewing machine
    Spray bottle for ironing
    Mini iron
    Mini ironing board
    Wooden Seam Press
    Flashlight
    Any item that you would like Jenny to sign – hopefully, Jenny will get a chance to stop by

A U-haul to carry everything in
    Pillowcases (if you want to make some to donate)
    Additional Children’s Hospital Quilts (if you would like to donate some)

FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THE POST ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN OR YOU THINK OF!!!

Thanks!! This is super helpful for those of us that are newer to the "retreat" events. Last year's forum retreat was my first and this type info was super informative!!!

Comment

Just read over this list again for the retreat. I better get shopping. I think most of the items listed have been packed up and are in storage --- it was a really hectic time for me. Some things I wanted to keep out, went to storage and other things that were supposed to go to storage ended up with me. And, my 10' x 25' storage unit is almost packed tight -- there is only about a 2 foot space in the very front before the door.

Come on, retreat!! I need some relaxing time!!!

Nancy

Comment

Nancy, I hate to see you have to go buy a bunch of stuff when you do have it and it is just in storage. I have duplicates of many things (since there are four of us that now sew in house), I can put you together some items. If you bring the projects that you want to work on, I can have you a sewing kit put together.

Comment

Thanks Charyti, Most of the things I mentioned missing in the thread above was the fabric for the projects until I unpacked the boxes I had brought with me and were up in the sewing room my daughter and son-in-law set up for me. My bag that I carry all my "equipment" in to classes, retreats, etc. is missing. I know I saw it sitting in a box . . . just not a box that made it to their house. There are 3 boxes in the very front of the storage unit . . . 2 have been there for a few days, one was just taken on Wed. I plan on going there as soon as I can this week and open those boxes and see what is in them. I already purchased a new rotary cutter and large scissors at Joann's yesterday. I needed a second one of each any way. I will let you know what I come up with on my storage search. Thanks again

Nancy

Comment

Nancy - I also have a ton of extras (including a generic walking foot with guide.) I'm positive that between Charyti, myself and the others we've got you covered! I know I'll have extra fabric/backing and batting plus I'm bringing enough extra strips for the strip game and tons of thread and extra needles too. Anyone who has sewn with me knows I have many duplicates of everything ... and love to share. (Always have extra Best Press too.)

Comment

Ditto...... I'm sure between all of us at the retreat we will have plenty of whatever you may need to complete your project.

Comment

No, there is never a shortage of anything there and most or all of us are more than willing to share both supplies and expertise. I am so looking forward to seeing you all.
                One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Whoopee!!! Just got back from my storage unit and not only did I find a couple of partial packages of Steam a Seam II Lite which I need for a project, but also my BGB with all my supplies I usually carry to classes and retreats. That was in the last box I looked in and wasn't going to look in it because I was afraid it was going to fall apart. I also found my gym bag, water shoes and towels I use for my water aerobics class that I need to get back in to since I have now moved out of my house. And, last night, I was looking through a box in my room , which had stuff from my nightstand, and there in the bottom in the corner was my walking foot. Must have thrown it in there so it wouldn't get "lost"!! Oh, the joys of moving!!!

Nancy

Comment

Awesome Nancy!!!! So glad that you found your supplies! And glad that you were able to find your walking foot. You want to my house to help me find the 6 yards of fabric that I bought for a quilt that I am commissioned to make (thankfully, does not have to be done until May 2020). The sewing area went through a deep clean and somehow, this fabric got separated from the rest of the fabric for the quilt.

Comment

Awesome list! Lol...I was telling my hubby about some things on the list, like WALLET WITH MONEY AND CREDIT CARDS, and EXTRA BAGS TO STORE PURCHASES IN, he said he thinks he is gonna be sick and that he may have to go back to work...he is priceless!

Comment

It would be so nice of your husband to go back to work so that he can pay for the purchases that you make. LOL

Sue

Comment

2019 Fall Forum Retreat

About this Group

2019 Fall Forum Retreat (September 29 – October 3, 2019 – Sunday - Thursday) in Hamilton, MO. Five days of fun, friendship, shopping, learning and quilting. This group is only for those who are registered to attend the 2019 Fall Forum Retreat in Hamilton, MO (For information on how you can sign up, please go to https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=80418 ) Your time is your own as you can participate in as many or few activities as you wish.
                        Type: Public
                        Topics: 32
                        Comments: 181

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X