2017 Fall Forum Retreat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift exchange

I have thought of several quilting tool items but my concern is that the person receiving them might already have them.

Do you think it would be best then for me bring something other then for sewing/quilting?

Thank you for your suggestions

Pam
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Did the exchange item have to be a quilting tool? I think you can bring anything. I think quilty items would appeal to everyone there.

Comment

Plus, the way this was envisioned was like the so-called Chinese gift exchange. Ever done one of those? They are a whole lot of fun, giggles, even wet-your-pants kind of entertainment:
      The game is fun, because each person gets to select a wrapped gift, unwrap it and then possibly lose it to someone else and have to select again. Being able to select from unwrapped gifts or “steal” a gift someone is holding is what makes this game so much fun.We attended a party like this one time and people fought over a #10 can of refried beans.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I went to a Christmas party that had that exchange once ... it was a group of kind and considerate ladies ... everyone kept what they took from the table! No fun at all. So plan on being assertive! VERY ASSERTIVE!

Sandy, since this was your bright idea ... do you play with the rule that once it is picked it can only be swapped 2 or 3 times before it is "dead" and can't be stolen any longer? Oh ... and when I played with other crafters (soap & chandlers) there's always been a set price/value of a made item. I think it was $45 +/- $10 (so that made it $35 to $55.)

Count me in on this!

Comment

Price wise we are looking at "This year we will be trying a new idea that Sandy thought of. Instead of favors, each person will bring one bigger item that we made or bought – approximately, $25-$30 in value. This way no one will need to stress over making a whole lot of items. We will be doing an activity to swap these items with those who wish to participate on Sunday night. Some ideas are table runners, wall hangings, bags, totes, gift certificates. A thread will be opened on the 2017 Fall Forum Retreat group to brainstorm ideas. Note: This activity is purely OPTIONAL!"

She had talked about 2 take aways but that does not have to be set in stone.

Comment

ooo yes, I was hoping it would be a Chinese exchange (why is is named that anyways?). this will be fun fun fun!

Comment

So are these suppose to be wrapped and such:?
              Sue

Comment

Please do wrap the gifts.

Comment

Every time I've played this with quilters it has been a two take-away rule. Best to keep it that way. The first person to select the package unwraps it so others know what is inside. We always drew numbers so there wasn't any question about who got to go first. If we have 40 people participating the person who draws #1 picks from the pile of wrapped presents, then #2 . . . prepare, as Judy said, to be a bit aggressive and plan your strategy.
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Wow a Chinese gift exchange game would be so much fun. I can't wait. I'm so excited. And boy can I use a get away.
                    Have a blessed day
                    Pam[/I]
                    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for explaining this. We have done it at my DH's company Christmas party and they called it "Dirty Santa". It is a lot more fun when there are stealers. Now, I think I'll be changing what I'm doing for the exchange.
                      Cindy

Comment

This does sound fun! Now I need to find that darned thinking cap.
                        Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

2017 Fall Forum Retreat

About this Group

2017 Fall Forum Retreat (September 24-27, 2017) in Hamilton, MO. Four days of fun, friendship, shopping, learning and quilting.
                        Type: Public
                        Topics: 73
                        Comments: 520

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X