2016 Fall Forum Retreat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini-workshops ? ? ?

I think this has been addressed in various post, but I was reading the forums this morning and saw a question about quilt design software. Is there anyone in our group or from M* that is knowledgeable about this kind of software and could do a mini-workshop? I would love to see how the software works and hear how some of you guys may use it.

And maybe if others have ideas of mini-workshops they could post them here.

Bob, I would love that! Isn't Sandy's husband knowledgeable about that sort of thing?

I would be interested in something that worked with choosing colors, contrast, that sort of thing. I've looked through the green and red glasses and I don't think I know what I'm looking for because I don't really see anything different. Also, how to figure out what fabrics are good for what patterns. I have two quilts I'm working on right now, that once I started them, I realized the fabrics were not the best choice for the design.
    Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

I do have EQ7 and would be willing to bring my laptop with me. I haven't used it hardly at all, so I wouldn't be comfortable doing a demo but at least there would be a laptop with the software loaded for folks to use/demo/play with.
      Wendy
      http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

Al does teach EQ7 - and has taught a full-blown class at M* in the past.

He said he's more than willing to do the "Tour of EQ7" - which would be a demo of how the program works and what you can do with it. It would take about 45 minutes to an hour.

Of course, that would involve the staff at the retreat center having the equipment available so their large screen could view what he shows on his laptop - and, of course, coordination with our forum retreat coordinator/s regarding time. (Perhaps an evening session after all the usual fun and games?)
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sandy, that is something I would be interested in. I don't have EQ7 but am interested in learning more about it. It would be great if it could be worked out.
          Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sandy,

I hope it can be worked out for Al to do this. I think at least several people would enjoy this information. I hope Charyti is checking on this thread and can make the arrangements to make it happen.

Bob

Comment

I have been checking on this thread. There are several things that come in to play to make it happen - finding time on the schedule, equipment availability, and making it work with Al's schedule.

Comment

I'm making the jump here that the Al you reference is Sandy's Al and not Jenny's Al. I would think a schedule would be given to Al that shows what is already scheduled and ask him when or if there is a time that would work for him, but maybe I've been out of planning meetings and such too long so that I'm missing something.

Comment

Yes, the Al that I am referring to is Sandy's Al. I have been trying to figure out in the schedule when there would be times available for him to be able to make a presentation. Believe it or not, the schedule is already very full.

Comment

He can have my spot!
                    K is for Karen 😊​..................
                    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Being a first timer, I was wondering if we will be getting info on what is planned during the retreat, and what is needed to bring along for those activities. I just added another "job" to my long list as my daughter just became engaged on Mother's Day and I will be making 3 flower girl dresses and a junior bridesmaid dress. She is getting married Nov. 26 - her fiancé did not want to wait too long after becoming engaged.

Although I do not have EQ7, I, too, would be interested in finding out what it is all about.

Comment

From the Eventbrite Registration page for the retreat ....

"HOORAY!!! It's time for the Missouri Star Quilt Company's

2016 Fall "FORUM" Retreat

with a trunk show given be special guest, Jenny Doan!

Join us for great fellowship, plenty of sewing time, yummy snacks, bunches of fun and a few SURPRISES from Sunday, September 25, through Wednesday, September 28!

Here's a peek at the entire schedule:
                        Sunday, Sept. 25
                        10 a.m. check-in, set-up and relax

1:30 Mini Classes Begin

Monday, Sept. 26

Morning - Mini Quilting Session
                        Evening - Trunk Show with Jenny Doan at 6 p.m.
                        Tuesday, Sept. 27
                        Morning- Project
                        Afternoon - Free Sew Time
                        Wednesday, Sept. 28

Check-out by 110 a.m.

We encourage you to join in the fun of all the events, however,

participation in any or all of the activities is optional and at your discretion.

DO I HAVE TO BE A MEMBER OF THE MSQC FORUM TO ATTEND THIS EVENT?

No! But we'd be absolutely thrilled if you'd sign up (CLICK HERE!), become an active part of the Forum, introduce yourself and get to know us before we meet in Hamilton.

While you are here, you'll have 24 hr. access to our beautiful activity area where you can sew to your heart's delight! You'll find our bright and cheery sewing/activity area will energize and inspire you any time of the day or night. Bring your own sewing machine or use one of ours! We'll have fifteen Baby Lock sewing machines and fifteen "sewing essentials" kits (rotary cutter, mat, ruler and scissors) available to rent during your stay.

Meals - We set out a continental breakfast each morning at 7 am. We offer a daily lunch and dinner. You are on your own to enjoy the area food if you wish to do that. Our meals are served for up to 45 minutes and then put away. We ask that you be present when we are serving.

Snack Table - We set out a snack table and encourage you to bring a snack to share with the group.

Shipping - There is free shipping for all of our guests who spend over $100 in the shops.

Supplies for Mini Classes on Sunday

(All classes/ projects are optional. However, we would like to encourage everyone to make a pillowcase to donate to the children's hospital)

Pillowcases
                        27 inches WOF piece for main piece
                        9 inches WOF piece for cuff
                        2 1/2 inch WOF piece for accent piece

Lone Star Tabletopper
                        9 Jelly Roll Strips
                        2/3 yard background fabric
                        1/2 yard border fabric"
                        K is for Karen 😊​..................
                        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

As far as the schedule goes, I have a couple of confirmation of workshops that I am waiting on. The only class supplies that you will need to bring are those that Karen has listed above. Plus, any projects of your own that you would like to work on.

Here are the things that I can confirm for the schedule at this moment in time.

Sunday, Sept. 25
                          10 a.m. check-in, set-up and relax
                          1:30 Mini Classes Begin

Monday, Sept. 26
                          Evening - Trunk Show with Jenny Doan at 6 p.m.

Tuesday, Sept. 27

Wednesday, Sept. 28
                          Check-out by 11 a.m.

Cindy from MSQC will be doing a variety of demonstrations on Monday and Tuesday.

We do have a charity quilt project that everyone is encouraged to work on.

We will be having Door Prizes and Show & Tell on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
                          Sometime during the retreat, we will be having a group picture.

Breakfast begins at 7AM
                          Lunch is at Noon except on Sunday when you are on your own for lunch.
                          Supper is served at 5:30PM

Doors will be unlocked by 7AM Mon - Wed
                          Doors will lock at 11PM

Comment

He's more than willing to do an evening session if that will work . . .
                            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I hope Sandy's Al does an EQ7 class. It's a challenging program, to say the least.

I'll be bringing my laptop (as I'll be working while traveling), and have EQ7 loaded. People can try it out, if they like.
                              Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

2016 Fall Forum Retreat

About this Group

This group is only for those who are registered to attend the 2016 Fall Forum Retreat in Hamilton, MO (You can sign up on Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fall-forum-retreat-which-includes-a-trunk-show-with-jenny-tickets-21527960710 Four days of fun, friendship, shopping, learning and quilting. Interact with the Doan Family – Jenny, Ron, Al, Sarah, Natalie. Enjoy Jenny’s Trunk Show and learn from our forum quilting pros. Your time is your own as you can participate in as many or few activities as you wish.
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 98
                              Comments: 846

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X