2016 Fall Forum Retreat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you book your flights?

I've been searching for flights and a single flight seems to be very expensive. I would only need the outgoing flight because we'd fly home from NYC later. Now we're thinking about flying to NYC and from there further to Kansas City (flights to NYC and back are less expensive than one single flight). Do you have any advice where to book the within US flights? I figure it might be less expensive to book them on a US website but have no idea where to look.

I usually go through Yahoo Travel. They look up almost all of the airlines.
    K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

If you don't have to fly into Kansas City, you might check into flying into Des Moines, IA. Sometimes it can be a lot cheaper to fly in there versus Kansas City. You would travel I-35 to get to Hamilton. It takes about 2 hours. The travel time from the Kansas City Airport to Hamilton is about an hour if you are wondering about how much time in a car from the airports to Hamilton.

Comment

There are so many travel sites to use. I used Expedia, for my trip to FL. Travelocity is another one. If I happen to see the commercial for the one that searches all of the travel sites I will send you a PM.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

For European flights I've found skyscanner.com and skyscanner.net are good at comparing prices. Personally, once I've done the research I've contacted the airline directly to see if there are any discounts (senior rate, companion ticket discount) that I qualify for. I know that if you have multiple stops your airfare would be less than a direct flight. Sometimes you may even have to change from one airline to another.

And this just crossed my mind - if you were going to get a rental car would your German Driver's license be honored? I know International Licenses are honored in the US. Safe travels, Andrea!

Comment

I've used expedia last year - after I found a flight I wanted I did check with the airline and expedia ended up cheaper for the exact same flight (of course, I know that is not always the case).
            Wendy
            http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

Thank you for your help ladies! (For some reason I can't click the "thank you" button... ) I'll definitely check all the options. I spoke to a student today who is a flight attendant at Lufthansa and she recommended to also check the US airline sites directly.

Judy, I believe my drivers license would be honored. My colleague at work drove a car when they were in the USA. We are thinking about doing the touring by car if it's less expensive but I'm not sure if I'd like to spend so much time driving. It could be nice to see more of the landscape though.

Comment

Andrea, my oldest daughter travels overseas every chance she gets. She finds the best prices on the US airline sites, just as you said.

As for Driver's License, I dug around the Internet and found this:
                "I keep travelling to the U.S. every year at least once. I do rent cars - usually from Hertz and occasionally from Avis. I have never had to present an international licence, my German one has always been sufficient. I have also had to show it to the police and did not encounter any problems."
                This statement was typical, and I could find nothing that contradicted it.

There is a document called an "International Driver's License" that can be purchased for a few Euros. This is not a true license, but a translation of your German license. In other words, if you had to show your license for any reason, an American could read the translation (you have to show the original, too). Sadly, very, very few Americans speak German (interestingly, my late father spoke German and my oldest brother-in-law does, too, but it truly is a rare skill here).

Joke: What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
                Bi-lingual.
                What do you call someone who speaks three languages?
                Tri-lingual.
                What do you call someone who speaks one language?
                An American.
                Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

You are so right about most Americans only speaking one language. I've always envied my international friends and co-workers who speak multiple languages.

Comment

Andrea, I just ran flights from NYC to MCI (Kansas City) through 4 different online booking sites. They all came up with the same flights and were all a few dollars in price different. The easiest site for me to deal with was https://www.expedia.com/Flights

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thank you for the info on the drivers license, GuitarGramma. That's good to know, I'm going to see where I can get that international translation of my license, just in case.

I don't believe many Germans of my generation speak English really well (at least I don't know very many), it's more the younger generation. My youngest son speaks English so well and fast, sometimes I can't follow when he gets going. lol. I read somewhere that German almost got to be the official language in the USA but lost in a poll to English. I'm always surprised when I hear that somebody could choose German as a foreign language in school. Almost nobody but us speaks German and everybody speaks English.

Karen, thank you for the link. They don't let me stay on the US site and always change me to the German Expedia site. The prices vary from 100$ to 200$ but there seems to be only one flight I could take anyway, at least without changing airports in New York. Did you find the same prices?

Comment

The non-stop flights I saw from NY to Kansas City cost about $220. You are probably getting the same flights. I think the non-stop flights were on United Airlines.

There are still communities in some parts of the US where German is spoken fluently. My dad grew up in a small farming community in Texas and most all of the residents spoke German, some still speaking it when I was a kid. Dad could understand it, but wasn't too confident speaking it because he was out of practice. I surprised my uncle by responding in English to something he had asked my Dad in German. Uncle Art said "I didn't know you spoke German!" I laughed and said I didn't, but I knew enough words that he said to understand.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

I guess you're right and I'm seeing the same flights. I was looking for nonstop flights, too.

I knew that some areas in the US and Canada have German communities but didn't expect any of those to speak German. Lack of practice is a problem. I learned French and Italian in school and while I remember a little bit of the French (although not enough even for a simple conversation), I forgot everything but a couple of words of the Italian I learned.

Comment

2016 Fall Forum Retreat

About this Group

This group is only for those who are registered to attend the 2016 Fall Forum Retreat in Hamilton, MO (You can sign up on Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fall-forum-retreat-which-includes-a-trunk-show-with-jenny-tickets-21527960710 Four days of fun, friendship, shopping, learning and quilting. Interact with the Doan Family – Jenny, Ron, Al, Sarah, Natalie. Enjoy Jenny’s Trunk Show and learn from our forum quilting pros. Your time is your own as you can participate in as many or few activities as you wish.
                          Type: Public
                          Topics: 98
                          Comments: 846

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X