Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

week 37 Want a Monaco Charm pack!? I do! I do!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

week 37 Want a Monaco Charm pack!? I do! I do!

Congrats to our winner Maggiegarcia06...Email me your information and we will send you a California Dreamin' charm pack. You are going to LOVE it. Perfect for summer...it won't be possible to think of snow, looking at this pack!!

This week I want to give away a Monaco charm pack. Another bright and happy line to make this winter-stuff fly by.
    Question for the week is: Were you the first quilter in your family or do you come from a long line of quilters!?!? Who taught you and what got you excited about this hobby!?!? Me?
    My Mom taught me how to sew when i was young (12 yrs old) and I hated it. Good news though, I came around and am more in love with it than i ever thought possible!!

Re: week 37 Want a Monaco Charm pack!? I do! I do!

My maternal grandmother was the quilter in the family. OLD SCHOOL! Recycled fabrics from clothing, sewing on treadle sewing machine, strictly scrappy patches, and tied with the old (non-washable) woolen batts. She tied it on a quilt frame that she pulled up to the ceiling when not in use. I have one completed quilt she made for me and 3 tops that she made for my kids. LOVE them.

SheilaC

Comment

Congratulations Maggiegarcia06!!

My MawMaw was a quilter. She'd save those little swatches of fabric that used to come in the mail years ago and sit in her basement and sew them all together on her push pedal Singer. She'd usually tie her quilts, and when we were kids, we'd climb under the quilt that was stretched out on a home made frame that my PawPaw made for her and push her needle back up after she'd push it down...then she'd feed us cake for helping....good times!!
      I began quilting right at a year ago, and love it...my sister has since started quilting after her daughter convinced her she needed a hobby. (I think her daughter just wanted a few quilts...lol) I dont know of anyone else in the family that got the fabric bug.
      I'm pretty much self taught (with the help of MSQC videos and a DVD by MaryAnn and Mary Porter (Fons and Porter) Its an excellant DVD and one I would recommend for all new quilters. I sent one to my sister, and I think that helped seal the deal on her addiction.
      Last edited by mrswindy4; February 5, 2010, 06:28 PM.
      ~Mary
      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I took sewing in 7th grade and hated it. Then after I was married I started sewing to save money on clothes. I have sewed ever since then, even taking a tailoring course and making my husband a suit, which is still his favorite after 20+ years. Eight years ago I started quilting and have been coached by my oldest granddaughter, even though we live in different states. We both have EQ6 and can send designs back and forth.

Comment

My mom sews and I learned in middle/high school. I didn't start quilting till July of 2009 when I stumbled acrosss a quilters blog and after that I couldn't wait to learn how to quilt. Since then I've completed several quilts and just love quilting.

Comment

I come from a long line of quilters. Well as far back as I can see, at least. My maternal grandmother quilted while she was living and made me my first quilt when I was a little girl. I started quilting about five years ago when I finished a quilt she had started some 30 years before. My mom also quilts. I must say I have only got bit by the quilting bug in a BIG way over the last year or two. I have other good influences in quilting which include a good friend, an adopted aunt and my favorite quilt store! (MSQC) I really got excited about this hobby when a new quilt shop (MSQC) opened up in my hometown and I took a table runner class. I have been quilting pretty much non-stop since then.
            sigpic www.seejaysnotes.blogspot.com

Comment

Well, I have been sewing since I was a VERY small child. My grandmother was a seamstress. After her and my grandfather sold the "service station" that they owned and operated, sewing became her only income. (From the stories that Gram has told me, I gathered that a service station is a gas station and a garage combined. You could get gas there, but they also fixed cars. BTW, I know more about cars then most of my guy friends.) I know she has made quilts because I have some that she made. I don't ever remember her quilting though. She must have worked on them when we weren't there. She was our babysitter. When I say our, I mean all of us, every grandkid. She put us on the bus and she got us off the bus. We begged not to go home every night. We wanted to stay overnight. Lucky for us, we won that battle quite often. She learned her skills from her mother and her grandmother. They did not live long enough for me to meet them.

My other grandmother quilted and sewed too. I even have some of the unfinished quilt squares that she was working on when she stopped. I do remember her mother, my great-grandmother. My great-grandmother turned to rug making when she couldn't sew anymore. I remember all the balls of fabric she had around her chair when we would visit.

My mom sews too. My mom used to work in a shoe factory years ago called Kinney's. She learned how to fix sewing machines there also. My mom knows a machine inside and out. Again, she made some quilts, but I was not around for the process.

That is where I learned to sew. (Beside home-economics class in school where I would teach the teacher sometimes. She was my dad's cousin, so she knew my grandmother's wonderful ability.) However, I learned quilting all on my own. I wish that I would have learned from my family, but I guess I waited to long to learn and they couldn't teach me anymore. This is something that I really regret. But, thanks to all the wonderful tutorials on the internet, I was able to learn on my own. I already have my daughters quilting, so they won't miss the chance to learn from family. I even pass on the quilting bug to my friends and neighbors every chance I get.
              My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.

Comment

Congratulations Maggiegarcia06!

My mom made a lot of lap quilts which she tied. I have a two hand pieced quilts from my paternal grandmother, but I don't remember her making them. I didn't have an interest in quilting until last year and I've learned mostly from the internet! There's enough information out there to last several lifetimes, including this site.
                http://dottyjanedesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Congratulations Maggiegarcia06!!!

Ever since my kids were born I've wanted to learn how to quilt. When my oldest was 6 (1995), I was lucky enough to find a master quilter teaching local classes and I've been off and running ever since.

As far as I know, there are no quilters in my family tree. My maternal grandmother was definately a sewer as she made literally everything for her home and wardrobe (even her own underwear). But no quilting. Both my mom and her sister sewed and were collectors of fabric - but no quilting. My 2 sisters have picked up the love of collecting fabric for 'future' projects, but have yet to sew or quilt anything.

I have gotten daughter, Katie (15) started on quilting and she only does it very sparingly when she feels like it which isn't much, but it's a start anyways. She has completed a block that was entered in the County Fair and won a ribbon a few years ago. She does have a small collection of fabrics in her own stash area. She is thinking of making a quilt of star blocks using plaids. We have some fabric chosen but are on the lookout for more. She does get bored going to a quilt show, so I don't know what's up with that! How can you be bored at a quilt show? haha!

Great question!

Hugs,
                  quilting trish
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                  http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                  http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Someone on my Dad's side of the family used to quilt. When my grandmother died she left behind about 6 quilts, all of which I distributed to family members. They were made from the 1930s fabric. True heirlooms.

I took a sewing class in high school, but did not pick up a machine until 30 years later. I'm learning as I go -- through blogs, magazines, tutorials, and this message board. My oldest stepdaughter sews/quilts as well, and I get tips/guidance from her. Now my youngest stepdaughter is picking it up... I bought her a machine last year.

Surely the family that quilts together stays together....
                    What counts is that we're having fun!
                    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Comment

I started sewing on my own when I was around ten years old. At that time I mostly made clothes for myself and my sisters. After I got married, I added quilting into my repertoire! They were very basic with no patterns. I got hooked and kept on quilting. I guess the answer to the question is that I've been quilting a long time and I taught myself.

Comment

My mother sewed -- a lot of my clothes, slipcovers, etc., but she didn't quilt. I am still quite an amateur quilter -- more of a fabric accumulator, but have done a lot of apparel, home dec and gift items sewing. I don't enjoy hand quilting (still have my first project as a UFO), and my machine quilting isn't very good, so I feel as if I'm ruining my good piecing when I quilt it. Can't afford to send it out to be quilted (and I'd feel like it wasn't MY project if I did). I have to get over the need for perfection so I can just keep practicing.
                        Ruth Ann in MA

Comment

Well there are quilters in my family, but not since a couple generations back. My great grandmother sewed, but i don't know for sure if she quilted, but her mother did quilt and i've been put on a mission to finish some of the tops that she didn't get done I am totally self taught to this point ... yay for youtube and other resources on the internet! and i've only been sewing and quilting since the beginning of this year so its new and i LOVE it!

Comment

My grandmothers were the sewers in my family. I learned some from them and also took home ec classes at school. I have always loved sewing. I got the quilt bug several years ago. I liken the process of quilting to planting seeds in my garden....you select your fabric and pattern, cut and sew....and then something beautiful comes to life.

Happy Sewing,
                            Rae

Comment

I know someone was a quilter in my family as I found old handmade quilts in my uncle's house stored away and I remember being given quilt blocks to play with as a small child. Wish I had them now. I started sewing after taking sewing in school making clothes for mayself. I started quilting in the earyl 80"s after finding a quilt store in a barn just loved shopping there. I started quilting with Quilt in a Day Books by E. Burns still watch her shows. I enjoy quilting helps to relieve stress. My 2 daughters have also started quilting they quilt more then I do now. It is fun watching them and answering the questions. Just love going to quilt store and finding new quilt web site. I am glad I found this quilt group really like the quilting tutorials.

Happy Quilting

Judy/Sisterquilt
                              Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                              X