Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Week 35 Plain Jane or American Jane!?!?

I have been in California (San Diego) for 10 days. It's making the cold winter fly by quickly. I a have a paper to write once I am back. I am doing an English Paper Piecing project since I have been gone.

Comment

The winter months in Maine can be pretty bad, especially in terms of the darkness (we are finally noticing the improvement in light). To get through the January blahs this year (which included my 30th birthday this year), I bought myself a Wii!
      I struggle with seasonal depression and while sewing cheers me, this year has been particularly bad. My doctor suggested finding a way to incorporate a more physical activity into my routine, because the endorphins can work wonders. She was right! I didn't want to just go for walks (mostly because it's flipping cold!), and I'm too lazy to drive to the gym. The Wii is perfect because it stays right in my living room. I bought the Wii Fit Plus, which has the balance board thingy that you stand on, and I can do SO many cool things. I'm not concerned with burning calories so much as just getting my blood flowing and getting those endorphins going, and it really works. It appeals to my competitive nature because other people can use it and all our scores are recorded, or I can try to best my own scores. My favorite games are the skateboarding arena and obstacle course. The balance games are also great because one of my goals this year was to improve my posture.

Wow that was a long answer. Basically I spent 300 dollars and haven't regretted it yet, which is pretty amazing!

Comment

I try to piece as much as possible to stay near the toasty iron! Hee!! I've been working on all sorts of projects and did complete 3 Schnibbles quilts with some others. Very productive 2010 so far!!

Comment

I have been spending my time hyperventilating over taxes and college financial aid forms - my oldest will be a freshman in college next year. Oh, wait, was this supposed to be about quilting? :? I am working on finishing a couple of small things that should have been done for Christmas, sigh....

It's COLD here - I will be glad when Jan. is over (and Feb. 1 is my wedding anniversary ).

Teresa of MN

Comment

Hey - glad to see you all back! It's the end of January - and I am busy with teaching a few newer and 'haven't done them yet' quilters how to do stack n whack projects. Been fun. And getting a few smaller things d one so I can focus again on STUFF I think I want to do. Still w orking on the BoW stack n whack blocks. Spent 10 days laid up with a Fibro Flare. Not fun.
            I have not made a decision between the Janes .. do I really have to?
            If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Comment

I am in the process of cleaning and organizing my sewing room. Also, we have been adopting quite a few kitties to their forever homes so I have been making weekly trips to the shelter to pick up new ones to go in the adoption center at the store. Trying to sew a little every day, finishing up some UFO's.

Comment

ops: I am just trying to finish up some UFOs that got put on the back burner because of Christmas. I did get two new Jelly rolls and a couple of yards of fabric for another quilt this month, but they are staying put away until I can finish up what I am working on.

I live in Central PA, so man is it cold here. I'm too far north for my liking. My husband won't leave here though, so I am stuck! Snow is pretty and everything, but sometimes it just does not seem to be worth the mess. (Have you ever been stuck without electricity for over a week because of an ice storm? We now own a generator and have a wood stove in our house. We are quite popular in our neighborhood during power outages.)

I get through the cold by not going outside. I tend to hibernate in the winter like a grumpy old bear. I can't wait for summer! I also suck hot coffee, hot lattes, and hot chocolate like it is going out of style. I don't like the hot chocolate that you buy in the little packs in the store. I mix my own and only use the best baking chocolate out there (Hershey's)in it. OMG is it good!!!! It is more like a liquid cake then that sickening sweet packed stuff that you buy in the store. It is really easy to make too. I will have to put the recipe up in the recipe section of the site so you can all enjoy it too.

Oh, my answer is American Jane. There is nothing plain about me. I am one of the most unusual people I know. Besides, who can resist those cute little clothes? Or the cute stripes? Or the poka dots? I have always been a fan of dots. I just made an American Jane quilt a few months back.
                My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.

Comment

Okay, you're going to hate me... :twisted:

It's not that cold here. I'm up north, but it's been incredibly unseasonably warm ("warm" for northern states), and not quite as gray as it probably should be. Plus, I have a secret weapon to get me through the next few months of winter...a new sewing machine!

My darling husband bought it for me, just arrived two days ago. I just picked up a Nature's Notebook honeybun and have some plans to make some doll blankets, then work on some other quilt projects, some clothing repairs, and some belated home-sewn Christmas gifts that I promised my children.

And in case anyone was going to ask...the machine is a Singer Quantum L-500. HSN just had the world launch for it last week, and I got it 1/3 off, free shipping, and 5 flex pays (score). It's very similar to the Babylock Quest quilter's dream machine. But way cheaper, lol. Been so busy and tired that I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say how I like it, but the features look soooo awesome.

So anyway, I'll be sewing away with a big grin on my face.

P.S. To add something that someone might feel is helpful, to help avoid winter blues, take some very GOOD vitamin D3. We don't get enough sun in the winter, and that can cause D3 deficiencies, which can cause depression and many health problems. You can find a good kind through ktradionetwork.com, they always have the best stuff.

Comment

January has not been short of excitement. Animals spending overnights at the vet and a really fun couple of days digging out the sewer line and repairing it were just about enough excitement for me! The worst part is that it all cut into my fabric budget
                    I have been working on a few small projects for a swap and a couple of gifts. Nothing major but enough to keep me out of trouble
                    http://dottyjanedesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Frequently in January I'm finishing up Christmas things and this year is no exception. With Holiday fabrics on sale, I've been able to get fabric for gift bags, aprons, and some of the neat things I've seen others do but just didn't have time to do them before the holidays! I know it's a bit backwards, but I find that I've done it several different years.
                      This January I reinforced (repaired) a Christmas tablecloth that I had to hurry through before Christmas, added embellishments to my 12 days of Christmas panel, and worked on some stockings. I guess it's my way of extending the holdiays!
                      http://mudpotter.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X