X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceegee
    replied
    Re: Giveaway Week 5 &6! Feb 6th -13th

My first quilt teacher (and dear friend) bequeathed to me her entire fabric stash (and it was huge!) before she passed away last August. Since then, I have been able to make 3 quilts for gifts by combining from her stash and my own. I still have a lot of her fabric left and one of my greatest joys is to plan and make quilts from our combined fabrics. Many sweet memories of us working together.

Leave a comment:

• quiltmaven
    replied

While I should be using my stash too often I am buying new fabric. Sometimes I do use the stash and maybe add some new. There are just too many beautiful, fun fabrics out there!

Leave a comment:

• Laura F
    replied

I am a see a new pattern and must buy new fabric. I have some in my stash but do not want to cut it up. :-)

Leave a comment:

• karolsnewstart
    replied

I am new to this site, but to answer your question. . . I am a scrap busting kind of quilter. I like to go through my stash and find fabrics that I think will go well with the pattern.

Leave a comment:

• turena65
    replied

I do both... depending on the project. I try to stick to my stash for the main fabrics, but I will purchase any accent fabric I may need...

Leave a comment:

• Lightwriter
    replied

I just can't do it...I am just not a "scrappy" quilter! I like to coordinate the colors.

I will pull in colors out of my stash (which is not overly huge), but buying new fabric is generally required.

I guess I do my part to help support the fabric industry.

Leave a comment:

• Rose
    replied

I tend to buy the fabric for a project. Sometimes I find that it doesn't mesh as well as I thought and then I end up with extra for my stash. Last year, I planned to make a graduation quilt for my niece. I bought a couple of jelly rolls with bright, bold colors - perfect for her vivacious personality! Or, so I though. When I sent a photo of the fabrics to my sister to see what she thought - a sanity check before I made the quilt - she said that her daughter really did not like pink! Lots of the strips had pink in them. So, back I went in search of a bright palette that did not include pinks. I am really happy with the final quilt and was so excited to find both a bright, coffee themed backing and the coffee cup quilting pattern at MSQC! (My niece is a barista and wants to own a coffee shop someday.) I sent my quilt top, backing, and binding in to MSQC and was so happy with the finished quilt! I can't seem to find a photo of the completed quilt, but here's one of it on my design wall. Resampled_2014-04-29_14-45-34_181_web.jpgIt's the Summer in the Park pattern from a MSQC tutorial done by Natalie.

Leave a comment:

• kathy48r
    replied

I like to go buy the new fabric but sometimes I have to dig into my stash.

Leave a comment:

• KLO
    replied

I like to buy new fabric because it seems like every day a new and more beautiful fabric shows up in stores or on the web that I really, reallly want. However, right at the moment, I have my fabric out on shelves that I can see easily and I am a bit overwhelmed by it all. So, I am now trying to use up some of my stash in scrap quilts and such so that in the near future, I won't feel quite so guilty buying new fabrics. Yea, we will see how long that lasts!

Leave a comment:

• TerriK
    replied

I am a relatively new quilter, so I have to buy fabric for every project I go crazy for. You know, I just HAVE to any new technique from Jenny!

Leave a comment:

• Amber800
    replied

I love Jenny's tutorial's and I always want to buy the fabric she's used...and I generally do buy it!

Leave a comment:

• livingoutloud
    replied

Well, I'm still new enough to this game that I am *forced* (cough cough) to buy new fabric to make the projects I HAVE to make once I've watched the tutorials - and I have lots of tutorials to go back and watch too! So far not much stash to bust, but I'm trying to remedy that quickly!

Leave a comment:

• mixdorfs
    replied

I'm a little of both. Going to do the Heather Spence quilt this year and have a lot of batik strips to use up. Been waiting for the perfect project to use them!

Leave a comment:

• AnitaLogan
    replied

I am a new quilter so I don't have much of a stash. It is new fabric for me!

Leave a comment:

• klgls
    replied

I do both - but sometimes it's the fabric that grabs my attention on a new tutorial. Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X