This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giveaway Week 20 - May 20th - 27th 2011

Congratulations to MissieP! Random.org chose you to win the 500 Quilters Cash Points from last weeks giveaway! That was fun there were lots of snakes, mice, bats and bugs. As well as some very serious life and death fears, but I have to say my favorites were about running out of bobbin thread and being buried alive under your stash! Awesome! I totally laughed when I read MissieP's, octopus tentacles have never been "for my enjoyment"!

Me I'm scared of lots of things but we always carry on! I'm a little afraid of posting from my phone and the stupid spelling and grammar errors it creates! (BTW sorry for the last two weeks I've been on vacation and no I don't have a laptop! But hurray for Market!) I'm also scared of Y-seams. However, that does depend on my mood a little. You can tell the projects I've started when I was feeling more adventurous because they all have crazy patterns and they are all sitting in my unfinished projects box!
    So this week I want to know if you've ever done a quilt or project with y seams or curves. I'll count just about everything They all scare me.

***More summer news *** The month of July is looking Hot, Hot, Hot! And our giveaway points will be going up, up, up! I can't wait!
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Re: Giveaway Week 20 - May 20th - 27th 2011

I am a newbee so haven't done anything with curves but they sure do scare me too.

Comment

YIKES!!! Curves on a quilt freaks me out! But I will have to look up Y seams and am committed to stretching my 'comfort zone', so will try out something new. Watch out curves...here I come!!!

Comment

I was a beginner so I didn't know better when I ordered a kit that was totally constructed with Y-seams!
        It was a matter of trial and error and my new seam ripper quickly got dull from the high usage.
        But eventually I figured it out, got it pieced and vowed NEVER to do Y-seams again!

Comment

I have done a couple of projects with double wedding ring by machine and totally hate it. I prefer to do y seams by hand. I've done several grandma flower garden and some of the y seam blocks in Sylvia's bridal sampler. I even tried curve master and didn't like that. Some blocks just seem easier by hand piecing.

Comment

Congrats MissieP!!! No Y seams but I did do a curvy (wonky) table runner. It's still a UFO but you can see the curvy part in my projects album.
            ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Congratulations MissieP!
              I make a few of the wedding ring table runners years ago. I don't remember nightmares so they couldn't have been too bad. I think I would do them again. Y-seams - I did one block and thank goodness it was a sampler block - think I'll stay away from those. The things I don't like working with is triangles!

Hugs,
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
              http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
              http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I tend to avoid curvy seams, but I have done a double wedding ring table runner that I completely did by hand. That's not too bad, just time consuming. It helps to have done lots of garment sewing. There are lots of curves when putting on a collar! Y seams I've done just a bit, but it's definitely not my favorite thing.
                When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Enjoy your spending spree, Missie P !
                  Yes, I have done y seams . It was called for in a quilt I wanted to make when I was a newbie at quilting class. Because I didn't know it could be difficult, I dove in & followed my quilt teacher's instructions and had no problem. Sometimes it pays to be ignorant !

Comment

Well I am working on a monthly calandar quilt that has a quilted block at the top and a calandar at the bottom. The blocks for each month are really cute but so far the first one was "fondation paper piecing" and it had some curves. Since I am very new at quilting (3 months) I am trying different things to see what I like best. I hate, Hate, HATE hand work. . Have no idea what a Y seam is.

Comment

I have done both in my hand piecing and also by machine piecing.
                      Not a fan of them on the machine. Doing them by hand is a ton easier.

Comment

One day I hope to tackle curves -- right now I'm lucky if my "stitch-in-the-ditch" quilting stays in the ditch! Never heard of y-seams, will have to look that one up!

Comment

I never have but will never say never.

Comment

I tried a Y seam once and it was not a pretty sight. Eventually I'd like to make a stained glass hanging like one I saw here, that will take curved seams but I'm less scared of those.

Comment

Holy Snap Im a winner! how exciting. and im still to much of a noob to try curves and y seams. Im all proud of myself when all my lines are mostly straight! : )

Comment

Working...
                              X