Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Giveaway Week 17 - May 1st - 6th 2011

Congrats SummerK!!

Yes, I have sewn many clothes for myself before I had children. The last clothes I'd sewn were maternity tops when I was pregnant with my firt child 24 years ago. After I had kids I didn't sew anymore - never had the time. I am so happy I rediscovered the joys of sewing and quilting
    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Congrats SummerK. You must be excited! I sewed in junior high school....still remember that purple apron! As a newly married woman, tried sewing clothes without much luck. Have always enjoyed hand sewing, but it is only in the last couple of years that I have gotten into quilting. It is so enjoyable and quite good for the emotional health....not the pocket, though! But how fortunate we are to have the opportunity for a daily deal and the frosting on the cake is being able to share with so many other quilting buddies. Have a good day everyone.

Comment

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S: SummerK!!!!

I'm like all our friends here - started sewing when very young and have continued with one project or another all my life. It seems, recently, that I collect more than I sew though and I need to break myself of that habit. Grandkids all wear uniforms so I don't get much of an opportunity to sew clothing for them. Love planning quilts but hate the actual quilting process. Long for a quilting machine . . .
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Congrats to the winner!!

Apart from the quilts (which I did 1 a long back and now starting back), I recently did curtains for my apartment. It felt good to decorate your home with something made with your own hands.

Comment

I've done much more sewing than quilting -- my 'quilting' seems to be mostly amassing patterns and fabric. I took a course years ago to make a machine pieced/hand quilted 4-block sampler. It has yet to be completely quilted (decided hand quilting is probably not for me!) The colors are hunter green and cranberry, so you can tell how long ago that was. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago I took another quilting class -- got it all pieced, layered and pinned, and there she sits!!. I have finished some small wallhangings, placemats, quilted Christmas ornaments, etc., though.

As far as other sewing -- love it! I made some doll clothes by hand when I was small, took a Singer class in high school and made one dress, then started sewing for myself after I got married, when we didn't have much money. I made a lot of my clothes, clothes for my daughter, Barbie clothes, Halloween costumes, curtains, all kinds of small gifts such as purses, luggage tags, spa bags, jewelry pouches. My new kick is clothes for the American Girl doll.
            Ruth Ann in MA

Comment

I've been "tortured" with sewing and fabric since I was a child. Began sewing doll clothes when I was 8 - by hand and use of Mom's treadle sewing machine. Quickly, with Mom's help, I started doing a few garments. My first fabric was either from the scrap basket or the printed flour sacks! Some of the sacks were actually animal feed sacks and Grandma and my aunts saved them for us; how exciting it was to sort through those sacks to see all the wonderful patterns and dream about what could be made from them.

Comment

Congrats, SummerK....

I learned my way around the needle & thread with the quilting Bees Mom, Gram & my Aunts used to host.. Just to keep me quiet!! I know they tore out all the stitches I made since they were not neat & even.. LOL I think I was around 5. I hadn't started school yet (no kindergarden grade)

Then in High school I was introduced to the Machine!! We were required to make an apron. After accomplishing that task, I was set free and spent my allowance on patterns to make my own clothes.. As a young mother, I made costumes for my children, recycled sheets and towels into anything I could, but never got back into quilting.

Now in my 60's I have rediscovered that wonderful world of quilting... It's amazing how a little fabric can be recycled into a useful and often beautiful cover, bag or pillow.
                Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                :icon_wave:

Comment

Congrats to the winner
                  My mom taught me how to sew at the age of 8. In fourth grade I took sewing class at school and made a tote bag to carry my books to school in. In jr high I took sewing as well. I have never stopped sewing since I learned how to at 8. I have sewn everything from clothes and dresses, skirts, shirts for myself to dresses for my girls when they were babies I also made them twin dresses last year and they were then 9 and 6 then. I have sewn shower curtains a comforter and window curtains as well as re -covering Dinette chairs. I'm sure I'm missing something over the years that I made and forgot about. I am still sewing and will always because it is a treasure a gift of talent that my mom introduced me to and I listened and my sister didn't. I still sew clothing and took a quilting class about 5 years ago and then I came across MSQC on y** t*** and I'm loving all that I am learning about quilting. If it involves sewing I love it as long as I'm not rushed I like to sew and take my time and love every stitch. What can I say, I'm addicted to sewing.
                  Last edited by sewsoft; May 2, 2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Congrats SummerK!!!!!
                    I made an entire babies room decor with quilt to match. Curtains, bed skirt, diaper hanger, bumper pad, and diaper basket. Thought I would never finish. Probably will not volunteer again
                    To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
                    Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Comment

Congrats on your win...SUMMERK! Have fun shopping for something special!

As for my love for sewing...the response is DEFINITELY. I've sewn clothes since 7th grade when my girlfriend and I made turquoise gingham shifts for ourselves. I fell in love with the sewing machine possibilities at that time. Before the machine bug bit me, my grandmother encouraged hand stitching and embroidery. She wanted me to do my very best and instructed me to look at the back of my work and make it as neat as the front display. Her hand work was phenomenal and even though she's been gone for 50 years, her love for sewing is still seen in the pieces she left to me. Quilting is new, but brings the same joy as my other creations did in past years. Thanks for asking! Debi

Comment

just this weekend I sewed some of the mesh top fabric a little girls dress.

Comment

Oh yes! Barbie clothes, little stuffed animals, dresses, Christening gowns (crocheted the lace), curtains, couch covers, jackets, receiving blankets, pillowcases, aprons, blouses, skirts, etc. I've been sewing since grade 4 -- I needed things and my parents couldn't afford it. I thus used whatever scraps I could get my hands on. Eventually I got married and still couldn't afford much, so anything that I could sew, I did. Of course, many have sewn repairs for jeans, socks, shirts, etc. I hadn't even thought of this before! I sewed more than I had realized.
                          Melanee

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Comment

I sure have.........Once I learned I was having my first grandaughter, my sewing machine took a #[email protected]% kicking...lol. Bedding, burp pads, bibs, taggie blankets...etc. She's seven months old now and I think I'm still going...
                            :icon_happy:Wicked

My husband lets me buy all the fabric I can hide :icon_wave:

Comment

I took home economics in 7th grade. (Just a couple of years ago. 42 years ago). I made an apron and was hooked. When I started having kids, I used to make my oldest daughters clothes. Some I didn't get hemmed and you can still see the safety pins I put in the hem so I could get her picture taken. In my 30's I took lessons from some seniors at the Golden Age Hobby Shop in Columbus, Ohio. They taught me how to layer my top, batting and backing in a hoop and to hand quilt. Since then I've made purses, quilts and potholders. I've tried my hand at flower pounding and fabric painting. Always wanted to dye my own fabric but I guess that's going to have to wait until another life.

Comment

I sew a little of everything, clothes, home dec & quilts
                                JVO

Comment

Working...
                                X