This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manly men need manly gifts

Random.org has spoken so..... Congrats to the winner of this weeks Fabric Free For All is Lynnleavell. SO get me your information and choose whatever charm pack you want! (you lucky girl, you!)

Have you heard!??! We are one of the shops sponsoring the Year of Schnibbles?? Yes, yes we are. Yes, we are excited...and so to celebrate we are going to give away a Schnibbles pattern! How about the adorable Schnibbles Tuffets pattern. Those little pin cushions are so cute.

So we all have men in our lives, and from time to time, they need our attention... right? Right. So, the question for the week is is in two parts -

First, can you give a quilting project to a man in your life (is it proper relationship etiquette? ?

Second what can you do to make it manly? (ie, what line or fabric / blocks / overall style) Can you make a project that says "he's the man", but won't end up a quilt that is just alternating shades of camouflage?

OR ... If you'd prefer, you can simply post a picture of a project you have made for a man in your life and let us know who it was for. We love PICTURES! :mrgreen:

Re: Manly men need manly gifts

Well, I have yet to make a quilt for my husband, though I have completed a quilt top which will be used in our livingroom...which he will use. I know he keeps asking when it'll be completed, so I guess that means he doesn't mind getting a quilt used to cover "his" chair. To make it more manly I used darker shades of fabric...very fall in color. So, I guess I need to find the time to get this quilted up for him

Comment

I can give my man a quilty gift...he's actually very appreciative of things that I make for him...he's really tall (6' 4") so he has trouble finding things that cover him up. I have crocheted him an afghan and had to make it extra long.

He liked the Miss Jumps line from Moda....the browns and rustics.....
      Michele

Comment

My husband enjoys things that I make for him. I have just made him a quilt titled "For Which it Stands" which is a strip club pattern by Geirgette Dell'Oreo out of the Zippity Doo Dah Jelly Roll by Moda, all I have to do is put the binding on. The colors are very manly. I'm also in the process in making him a quilt out of some of his dad's clothes. Lynne Leavell

Comment

My son is one of the men in my life, and I made him an Irish Chain quilt in reds and blues when he was little - it is with him at college, and he is very proud of the blanket his momma made.

Comment

[attachment=0:1fvpuddh]compressedDSCN0471.JPG[/attachment:1fvpuddh]
            I just made this quilt for my husband and there are no flowers, the colors are manly and the border is bears!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryonLakePulaski
              [attachment=0:3dux2o8c]compressedDSCN0471.JPG[/attachment:3dux2o8c]
              I just made this quilt for my husband and there are no flowers, the colors are manly and the border is bears!!

great quilt Mary!! did you do the longarm work yourself? it looks wonderful...
              Michele

Comment

hrm..... alternating shades of camoflauge is a great idea, I think I'll try it

Originally posted by MaryonLakePulaski
                and Mary, that looks so good! Anything with bears could definitely be manly

Comment

I did make a flannel quilt for my hubby from some of his unused shirts and others I picked up, to cover up with on his 'headache' days...he gets them quite often. He thought it was silly in the beginning, but now he loves it. He uses it for watching tv too.

Comment

You cracked me up with the cammo comment. My guys is not the cammo type.

I would think a plaid or flannel group would be perfect for guys -- Guys seem to like tactile fabrics. I saw a quilt using fabric solids on a "Quilt Festival" participant's blog that I just loved. Contemporary and traditional at the same time. Creating design with bars of color - yum! :drool:

My stepdaughter took her hubby's old knit shirts and made a t-shirt quilt.

How about a quilted bedside caddy or remote holder? BBQ mitts and hot pads, especially for grilling out. Perhaps a small panel insert in a kitchen/grilling apron for those who like to quilt. I just finished my morning caffiene and my brain is just oozing overtime with ideas...

You started it... bwahahahahahahaaha!
                    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Comment

I am finally making a king size quilt for our bed. He loves the colors in the American Primer line. I made my parents a quilt last year for Christmas using Prairie Paisley and he wanted us to keep it. So this year, he is getting his own. I can't wait to get it done. It is taking quite a bit of time because of the size.

Comment

I think that guys prefer darker colors..at least my husband does. I made a quilt for our bed last year that he absolutely loves...follow the link to my blog to check it out. http://www.joscountryjunction.com/?p=686

Comment

My husband asks me when I'm going to make him a quilt. I started to make one for him a long time ago, but it just wasn't speaking to me, so it never got finished. It was going to be greens and whites since those were his school colors in college. I think the more modern patterns sans flowers make great gifts for guys. I guess I really should think about making him one... hmm.

Comment

Sure I would give a quilt gift (haven't done it yet, but I COULD!). He likes whatever I make, so I'd probably do a lap quilt, maybe a log cabin variation.
                            Ruth Ann in MA

Comment

My husband is patiently waiting for me to make his quilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X