This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giveaway Week 9 - Mar. 4, 2011

Congratulations to guptamona! Random.org chose you to win our first ever Quilters Cash Giveaway! Mona is new here so a big welcome to her and let's hope this Quilters Cash get's you started on some fun stuff for your nieces and nephews! Or maybe just a fun in-between project but we'd love to see what you pick out!

Today I want to know how far would you go to get fabric you really love? Would you travel at all? Or is the internet the way to go baby!

Tell me what you think below and you'll automatically be entered to win 500 Quilters Cash Points just like Mona did!
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Re: Giveaway Week 9 - Mar. 4, 2011

Oh, I definitely travel for fabric! I live in Orange County, CA and there is this amazing warehouse in Buena Park near Knott's Berry Farm called M&L Fabrics. it is huge and filled with fabric. I never go in there without spending at least 2 hours looking at fabric and always come out of there with at least one huge bag of material. What I should do is sneak some photos and post them. It is unbelievable!!! It takes me about twenty minutes to drive there. For some of you that's nothing, but for me, everything I need to shop for is within 5 - 10 min. from my house. Going to M&L is traveling for me. Otherwise, Joann's is down the street and there are various quilt shops close to my home. I also purchase a lot of my fabrics on-line.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Living in a small town you almost have to travel to get to a fabric store. Luckily a lady openned a small fabric shop about 10 minutes away. It's small but she has some of the most beautiful fabric I've ever seen. She is adding more everyweek and now that the word is getting out that she is open I look for her to have a very successful shop. The next closest shop is about 45 minutes away in either direction. So when you go you come home loaded with fabric. I just love looking at fabric and coming up with prints and colors and a quilt pattern to use them.

Comment

There are so many benefits from seeing a fabric 'up close and personal' and I would definitely travel to find something specific. But, if you trust your on-line sources you can get quality, too. Not everyone has a good source close by. I feel lucky in that I have quite a few shops within a day's visit but MSQC is the BEST!! (Do I get brownie points for that?)
        Last edited by Sandy Navas; March 4, 2011, 10:55 AM. Reason: left out a letter
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I prefer to travel for fabric unless what I need I can't buy it locally then I'd make a online purchase.The only problem is that I don't get to touch, feel, see the fabrics before purchasing or choose a design I like because sometimes it can be hard to tell with online pictures. All of my purchases from MSQC have all been a 100% A+ ( I can't help myself with the daily deals, I love them). Touching feeling and seeing the fabric is very important to me though. Since that's not always practical online fabric shopping is okay but shipping fees add up quickly and that could be more fabric money. So I prefer a local store to run to when I need some fabric now. I do prefer to touch feel and see the fabrics first ( Like that old Toilet paper commercial that said "Ladies please don't squeeze the C_______!" I like to do that with fabrics. Lol...
          Last edited by sewsoft; March 4, 2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I'm fortunate enough to live in a bigger city where we have several quilt shops, along with the J store.
            I have a small group of friends who several times a year, we take the "Shop Hop" tours and hit all the local shops, and a few that are farther away that we wouldnt normally travel too. Its a great way to spend the day with friends!
            IF I couldnt find what I needed at any of the LQS, I'd definitely order online!!

Congratulations Mona....and Welcome to the forum!!!
            ~Mary
            As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I definitely would travel and have traveled to get fabric. Its nice to be able to browse around and match up all the fabric you want and need. But I have shopped quilt a lot for fabric and notions on line also. So far I have been very satisfied with my orders. I must say that an order from MSQC comes in record speed.
              Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

Have only ever gotten precuts from MSQC otherwise for yardage i visit local shops to support our local small businesses and economy. Would love to enjoy the trip to a big wholesale fabric warehouse - Yipppppeeeee that would be so much FUN!!

I too have a need to touch and squeeze the fabs LOL
                Last edited by pdjewelrylady; March 4, 2011, 11:31 AM.
                Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
                hugs, Suzi
                http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
                it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Absolutely, I would travel, however, there is nothing like visiting MSQC! I love being able to order on line and receiving the order QUICKLY from MSQC! Thank you. Since I am rather new to quilting, before we travel anywhere I try to browse the internet for fabric shops that just happen to be 'on the' way.

Comment

My shops are getting farther and farther away with all of them closing so I am turning more to the internet
                    Patrice

Comment

I love ordering online, but if I buy locally I MUST travel. The closest store with fabric is over 20 miles away and it's further for an actual quilt shop. But if I knew there was a great sale and knew the fabric was awesome...I'd drive over an hour to get there!
                      Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
                      Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

I wouldn't travel for the fabric if I could find it on the internet. I have started to purchase 100% of my fabric online; however, when I travel I also make a point to stop at a shop to see what that have that might be unique to that area.

Comment

I do most of my buying on line 1st MSQC and 2nd Fabrics.com, and I have not be disappointed with either one. MSQC has the best $$ and shipping, and Fabrics.com has free shipping if you spend 35.00 or more, which isn't hard!!! I do have LQS 15 miles from me and I do get some things there but sooooo pricey. But I can check out what I want and get it on line. My LSQ doesn't have charms, jelly's or anything like MSQC.
                          SOOOO lucky I found all of you. You can not buy what we all get here on this site and that is friendship, support, and very caring family fuzzy feeling. That's what I would travel for is to visit family and friends and in the bargain fabric and learn how to make things. Just like with Grandmas, Aunts, Mothers and Sisters our own loving quilting bee.

God Bless
                          Jan G.

CONGRATS MONA
                          Jan G :icon_wave:

THE HURRIER I GO,
                          THE BEHINDER I GET!!!!
                          :lol:

Comment

My daughter (a speech/language pathologist) says that I have 'sensory issues' because I love to finger, and feel fabric before I buy. I have made clandestine trips to fabric stores under the guise of traveling to outstate offices for business! (I mean, as long as you have to go for business and the fabric store is in the same city - you have to stop!!). Actually, in a few weeks I will be traveling about 4-5 hours to MSQ - and I hope that JENNY IS THERE!!!!!!!! My son and hubby are going on a High Adventure trip to Key West FL with Boy Scouts. My high adventure is going to MSQ and then having the rest of the week to sew, sew, sew all by myself! I have my list ready girls and can't wait to get to your shop!!!

Comment

Congrats Mona ~

Before I began quilting ... I had no idea that there was such a huge difference between "regular" and "quality quilting fabric." I've learned my lesson with fabric shopping... quality is worth the price. There is one LQS about 30 minutes from me and I've told you they are not very helpful though they do have beautiful fabric. I go there occasionally but I have learned not to expect much assistance. I do most of my shopping at MSQS though I have bought some Moda on other online sites. Yes, I will travel to purchase fabric and I'm really jealous of those who live in a large city.... I'd love to get lost in a fabric warehouse.
                              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                              Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                              (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Working...
                              X