This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Week 9- Money, Money, Money

I am very new to quilting and I have been slowly adding fat quarters to my stash.
    And I love searching for fabulous deals.
    My family gifted me with a rotary and cutting mat for Christmas.

But my husband, Shaun, is more willing to splurge on me than I am on myself. Last month he treated me to a new sewing machine. A Bernina 440QE. He is a wonderful, supportive husband. I love my new machine!

Comment

I have found it so interesting reading everyone's comments and interests. I too am new to this world of quilting. So far I am keeping my projects small so when it comes to "charm packs, honey buns, and jelly rolls" I'm in heaven. Some day when time allows I'll work into "larger" things so for now my "$$$" have gone to a new machine, and the wonderful world of cut fabrics! Your tutorials have helped me a lot... keep them coming!

Comment

I am a picker..I pick at food...I pick at my friends...I pick at fabrics...so whenever I am at the fabric shop and just look for whatever speaks to me and get a quarter or half yard...if it yells at me I get a full yard of it....
        Michele

Comment

I think my "splurge" would have to be backing fabric. I almost always want the backing fabric to come from the same line as the quilt top. I can't make myself just use a solid or something on the back. So I think that is a splurge, as well as pre-cuts!

Comment

Hi ladies! I'm new to quilting and new to the board, but found MSQC on youtube. Thank you for the wonderful descriptions and tutorials!

Since I'm new, I'd say that the items I'm spending the most on at this point are tools...rotary cutter, mats, rulers, etc. Hopefully soon, though, I can turn my attention to fabrics.

Thanks again for the great information and the great site!

Angie

Comment

Originally posted by golferants
              Hi ladies! I'm new to quilting and new to the board, but found MSQC on youtube. Thank you for the wonderful descriptions and tutorials!

Since I'm new, I'd say that the items I'm spending the most on at this point are tools...rotary cutter, mats, rulers, etc. Hopefully soon, though, I can turn my attention to fabrics.

Thanks again for the great information and the great site!

Angie
              welcome!! glad you found us...tell your friends haha...

as far as turning attention to fabrics...it's kind of hard to quilt without them!! Check out the Daily Deal at the top left tab on the page...PLENTY of fabric to feed your evergrowing addiction....don't laugh...you know it's there....we all have the affliction....it's a sickness I tell you...a sickness!!! :mrgreen:
              Michele

Comment

This week I will splurge on some charm packs and make my new dd a quilt for the first time. I am new to this but she will not care I am an over 40 mom with two college students and the new surprise so money is tight but I need some kind of hobby Her is a pic of both my daughters

Comment

I'm a quilt book and magazine addict. I don't want to ever figure out how much I actually spend per year. I learned a long time ago if I subscribe to magazines my husband complains about the cost but never notices if I buy the magazines at full pop at the grocery store. And don't let me near Amazon.com.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmickey
                    This week I will splurge on some charm packs and make my new dd a quilt for the first time. I am new to this but she will not care I am an over 40 mom with two college students and the new surprise so money is tight but I need some kind of hobby Her is a pic of both my daughters

welcome welcome and congrats on the new addition!! your girls are soo cute!!

start slow...follow the tutorials that are at the top of the page...and you will have a great start. I did a stacked coin quilt a'la Moda Bake Shop's tutorial....
                    Michele

Comment

Originally posted by sbonetsue
                      I'm a quilt book and magazine addict. I don't want to ever figure out how much I actually spend per year. I learned a long time ago if I subscribe to magazines my husband complains about the cost but never notices if I buy the magazines at full pop at the grocery store. And don't let me near Amazon.com.
                      I am with you, I am so hooked on magazines too! My favorite is Quilts and more, but I also pick up Fons and Porter, and whatever catches my eye at the grocery store. My husband does not notice subscriptions, but he sure does when I put three magazines in the grocery cart! So, I make it to the grocery store a couple of times a week anyway, so I buy them one at a time, nobody notices!
                      Niki

Comment

Originally posted by niki
                        Originally posted by sbonetsue
                        I am with you, I am so hooked on magazines too! My favorite is Quilts and more, but I also pick up Fons and Porter, and whatever catches my eye at the grocery store. My husband does not notice subscriptions, but he sure does when I put three magazines in the grocery cart! So, I make it to the grocery store a couple of times a week anyway, so I buy them one at a time, nobody notices!
                        Niki
                        I love quilting mags as well. I have found "Quick Quilts" to have fun quick projects. I have made a few of the purse project that " Quilt and More" put out a few issue back. They are so fun. My coworkers are always checking to see if I have a new purse.
                        Happy Quilting
                        Daniela

http://pinkquotidian.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like to splurge on most any fabric that has to do with farms and tools to help with my quilting-rulers, scissors, bias tape makers...

Comment

I'm rather new to this quilting addiction and this forum. My weakness is sale items, especially quilting tools, so I guess that is where I have been splurging. I'm not sure why but if it says its on sale and by some odd chance I might have a coupon I have to find something to purchase.

Comment

Angie- Welcome, Welcome! We have fun around here huh!?

MdMickey- Your girls are darling! How exciting that you're diving in to quilting! Like shell said, be sure to check out the tutorials. They're a life saver! Your girls are adorable!

Shell- Your binding picture cracked me up!! So like me, and who cares!? The quilt turned out great!

Laine- Oh sales... how I love thee! It's a problem right?! We do have a sale EVERYDAY around here... I'm just sayin

Everyone else- you guys rock! Who would have thought talkin' about money would bring everyone out of the woodwork!?!? I LOVE IT!

Comment

Hi! I'm new to the Forum as of tonight! And this is the perfect question for me to answer for my first weekly giveaway. Because....drum roll please....I splurged and just bought a new Bernina sewing machine after using a $45 yard sale one I purchased about 10 years ago. So, I don't feel that I've gone overboard at all. It was definitely a treat to myself, and I'm loving it!! I think I will enjoy this forum. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X