This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week 58 - Oct 15th

A big congrats to Dyana! You won the last weeks ( 2 weeks ago) giveaway for a set of Boo to You 5" squares by Riley Blake!

This week Sarah told me we have a purple thang to give away... a what? Haha, this made me giggle

That Purple Thang by Lynn Graves - it pushes, pokes, pulls, p-fudges, p-turns, p-stuffs. It makes it own uses. Every quilter/crafter/seamstress needs one.

I had no idea I needed one! But now I guess I do! So if you want a free one tell me what pushes, pokes, and anoys you! Let's hear some crazy pet peeves!
    Last edited by stitchywoman; October 15, 2010, 04:26 PM.
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Re: Week 58 - Oct 15th

I occasionally work at my LQS when they need extra help, where I also teach, and I just love helping ladies choose fabrics, calculate what they need and help with ideas...well you know, I thrive in the creative process even when it is not mine. This is special and a natural part of a LQS.

So my pet peeve includes the need to POKE some people into reallity, if you don't support your LQS, it won't be there to support you. Two days ago while working I had a phone call from a lovely lady who lives out on a property several hours from any town let alone a QS. Her problem was that her two LQS's had both closed because two big chain stores had opened in the town (Spotlight and Lincraft). These stores sell "cheap" fabric but do not supply any assistance or encouragement or friendly smiles...take a number, wait your turn, how much would you like ma'am, thanks for your money.

Her point was that because people had chosen to buy the cheap fabric they had lost the amazing benefits associated with having a friendly helpful and caring LQS and all the knowledge they willingly shared with their customers. This affected her badly since all her purchases were over the phone, she now can't do that since the chain stores won't give her the time of day let alone the help she needs to get fabric out to her remote location.

Don't get me wrong, I have also bought fabric from these chain stores and I know what it is like to be on a budget but the reality when it comes to LQS is: if you don't use it, you lose it, support your LQS.

I guess this poked and pushed my buttons to expose my pet peeve...
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Congrats to Dyana!!

Here is what drives me nuts - people who hum out loud!!! Drives me nuts when I sit next to someone on my train commute and have to listen to the tune in their head buzzing around me like a sick bee. Arrrgg!!

Now I feel better - Thanks!
      Patti
      Patti
      "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Congrats Dyana on your win.

Ok now what POKES at me - My office manager - whenever anyone comes in and ask me for something she has to stick her nose into what we are talking about or she has to make a song out of every comment that is mentioned. Then when she does sing that song that is in her head she goes on and on and on and on.

The other thing is my 25 year old. She cannot make a decission about anything (especially when it comes to her two beautiful boys). Now she will now she won't until the last minute.

Lynne Leavell

Comment

The first "annoyance" that comes to mind is people who drive but are totally unaware of other drivers around them. They brake suddenly, pull out from a side street without even looking, etc. The worst type is if they endanger you on the road somehow. Now, HAPPY WEEKEND everyone!

Comment

Pet peeve? I guess bad drivers - slow pokes who cause "rolling road blocks", speeders, etc...

Comment

I think the thing in the world that makes me just Crazy is the way they package stuff in these plastic clam shell packages that could servive a bomb attack!

I bought a GPS for my new van and brought it home and proceded to fight for an hour to open it. I tried scissors, no go could not even make a hole in it. I then tried a razer knife and nearly cut off my danged finger! but I did get a slice about 2 inches long in package too. YEAH!! After getting a bandaid I then went back to the scissors thinking they might work now I had a hole Yeah Right! Back to the razer knife and after a couple snaped blades I finally got it open enough i could, with brute force tear it open. Of course I had to cut myself again on the plastic But I got it out of package and THANK GOD it works because if I had to return it and get another one I do not think I could go through the whole trama of opening another package.

So there you have it my pet peeve of the week

Linda J

Comment

Pet peeve - Kids that act like little monsters and their parents sit by like nothing is going on!!!
                Have a great day it is beautiful weather.
                Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

LITTER
                  Everywhere you go people are throwing out their garbage. After years of commercials, signs, stories etc. saying not to do it people are stilling tossing it to the gound. This summer we were way up in the mountians and found a discarded potato chip bag, likley from a tree planter but who knows. I am always picking up when I hike . Then there are the coffee cups and fast food containers all along the hwy. UGHHH!!! We have become a throw away society and it not just garbage. Very Sad!

Okay I will get off my soap box now ....thanks for listiening!
                  sigpic
                  Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

I try to let things roll off my back, but there are a few things that get on my last nerve -- especially people yelling into their cell phones (actually cell phones in general annoy me -- at the beach, in the car, in church, in the library, in restaurants).

Okay, breathing normally now!
                    Ruth Ann in MA

Comment

How about selfish, rude people. If the group has made a plan to do something one person wants to change everything to suit her tastes, her time schedule, her ideas. Always at the last minute. That's rude. Then they can't understand why no one wants it that way, cause their way is obviously better. grr.
                      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Ok here it is and I'm sorry if you do this but what what pushes, pokes, and annoys me are hummers and whistlers . Yes, you know the one's that keep whistling the same tune over and over again. Or the ones that bust out humming and whistling in a middle of a conversation . Whistling in general just goes so deep and makes my body cringe because it's ear piercing . When I was young my younger brother would whistle as loud and as hard as he could to irritate me. It was worse than someone scraping forks on a chalkboard it drove me .

Thanks everyone have a great weekend.

Comment

Well I am certainly in agreement with everyone's pet peeves of this week as I think I have experienced all of them.

I have one that gripes me everytime it happens. It is the phone call for a service and a recording answers and says Press 1 for English. THEN, it is being put on hold for what seems like hours listening to a message about how wonderful they are, aren't you delighted you have chosen to be put on hold for them? I think I would prefer elevator music to a tooting your own horn message played over and over again.

I also feeling intensely about terrible drivers, rudeness, rotten out of control children, and super chain box stores.
                          Sewing mends the soul.
                          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Congratulations to last week's winner!!

My pet peeve - smokers who throw their still smoldering (or even the ones which were extinguished) butts on the ground!!! The world is not your ashtray!

Thanks for letting vent!

Comment

I have to agree with all of you! They all annoy me too!

Manners. Can you just hold the door for me please? I am RIGHT BEHIND YOU!
                              Since I work in the public school, it is every single day that I get a door shutting in my face cause these kids can't look behind them to see if they need to just hold the door open for one iota of a second for me to grab it with my free hand.
                              The trash on the floor in front of the lockers. If they drop something, even if it's an important paper, they just leave it there. Miss the huge trashcans in the cafeteria? Oh, just leave it on the floor. Too lazy to walk to the trash can? Just crumple up your garbage and shove it in between the crack in the table.

And the 'it's all about me' attitude. Please don't get me started.

Hugs,
                              TJ
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                              http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                              http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Working...
                              X