This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Week 7- Let's talk binding...

Its funny how all these quilts seem to do the talking! Mine definitely "speak" to me...I too wait to see what the quilt wants. I do love the way a striped fabric cut on the bias looks as binding. Its one of my favorites! It looks like a candy stripe all along the edge of the quilt! Love that!

Comment

well as this was something I was working with last week...do you have any pointers as the best way to do the bias binding? I was really struggling with this..and though I did get it done it was a bear and I feel I wasted a lot of fabric...

and welcome to the forums!!
      I think that link to Heather Bailey's tutorial mentions how to cut and sew bias binding.

Here are my methods for making bias binding: start with a more or less straight edge across the width of the fabric. lay the fabric out nice and flat. at one cut end of the fabric, put one hand on each corner; keep your right hand more or less in place, and bring your left hand up so that it hits the selvage at the other end of the fabric. Basically you want to make a diagonal folded edge by making one cut edge and one selvage parallel. I then smooth it out (the fabric will pretty much hold itself in place) and put it on the ironing board and iron that diagonal fold in place. I open the fabric up and cut along the crease. Next I want to cut strips, so I fold the piece up along my newly cut line (to fit on my cutting mat) and measure my strips and cut one at a time. The strips will start to get shorter and shorter as you get away from that first cut, and you're right, you end up with a leftover triangle, but that can go in the scrap bin for other projects!

That seems like a lot, so it probably wasn't very helpful. ops:

Comment

Binding - perfect time to talk about that as I am in the process of putting a binding on.

I love to do bindings - they relax me - and make me feel like I've done well and not the project is about finished.

Comment

Well..........I am not very experienced when it comes to binding. I have only put binding on two baby quilts. One of them, I used the same material as the small(inside) border and the other one I used a totally different color to frame the quilt. I guess, I also, let the quilt speak to me. I know when I was taught to do the binding at a beginning quilt class at MSQC I so thought I wasn't going to like doing it, because it involved hand sewing, but I really did enjoy it. I am happy to gain insight from all of your responses here on the forum.
          sigpic www.seejaysnotes.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by lizziwhizz

That seems like a lot, so it probably wasn't very helpful. ops:
            I actually think that was VERY helpful! Nicely Done!

Comment

Working...
            X