This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week 7- Let's talk binding...

First of all... Congrats go to niki! She's the winner of the Nouveau charm pack from last week! Please e-mail me or PM me with your mailing info so I can get that to you asap!

Alright.... now on to this week's topic!

What is your take on binding? Do you like it to blend right in with the quilt? Do you want it to make it's own statement? Do you have any great binding tips?

Come on ladies, lets spill...

This week's prize is one BRAND NEW in the shop, not even up online yet SULTRY Charm Pack!

Re: Week 7- Let's talk binding...

congrats Niki!!! You're gonna love that charm pack!!

Binding...well since I just bound my first quilt...and I used white...which was also the background color so it blends..I would have to say that I'm leaning towards using something different on the binding than being matchy matchy....I think the contrast would be more interesting...

oh...and Sultry...I have some...and let me just say YUMMY
    Michele

Comment

It really depends on the quilt as to what binding style I will use. The Cotton Blossoms quilt had a lot going on, so I blended the binding in. If the center makes a real statement, anything but blending would really draw away from it. But if it is an overall plain block design or needing something extra after the border, I love stripes and polka dots for the binding.

Comment

I just read an article about using piping with your binding on the Fons and Porter website. Sounds like a lot of work but for a comforter on a bed in lieu of a bedspread, it might be just the finishing touch. http://www.fonsandporter.com//aspx/Fons ... spx?id=494

Comment

Originally posted by nanaandpapa1
          I just read an article about using piping with your binding on the Fons and Porter website.
          What a great idea! I know on a few quilts at the shop we've sewn jumbo ric-rac along w/ the binding for a lil somethin' EXTRA! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I'll go with the binding can change depending on your project... whether you choose to self bind... match or contrast... the project will speak to you. I like the idea of a contrast as long as it doesn't take away from the star of the show... the quilt. )... I too love, love, love the new FAB fabric... fun, fun!
            Keep on Crafting!
            ~Kimberly

Comment

I agree with some others that if the quilt is busy, I like a blending binding, but it the quilt is simple I think you can give it a little extra with a binding that pops!

Comment

I usually like to do something that blends in more with the quilt. I'm new to more elaborate quilting, beyond plain blocks, so maybe as I go along and find more fun fabrics to work with it will change. I also like to make my own binding when I have time because I think it is easier to find colors and patterns that work with the quilt.

Comment

I am relatively new to quilting because I've discovered all the wonderful non-traditional designs/methods out there, and I love the idea mentioned above about piping or rickrack in the binding. I haven't yet started a project to try it on, though.

As for colors, my favorite binding I've done so far (and also my favorite quilt) used a fabric pulled from the blocks, and which was a shade or two darker than my sashing, giving it a nice frame.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizziwhizz/3409278659/

It was made for Oh, Fransson!'s Mod Sampler Quilt Along: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/quiltalong.html

I did my binding according to Heather Bailey's tutorial (http://www.heatherbailey.typepad.com/, in the sidebar). I sometimes cut my strips 2.5", sometimes 2.25". I love using prints and stripes in my binding. I do a lot of garment sewing, and HATE bias skirts, tops, etc, but somehow making a set of bias binding is the most soothing thing in the world to me!
                  I try to make my binding on the bias whenever possible. There is nothing wrong with straight grain binding, except that I get lots of threads unravelling from that cut edge, which doesn't happen with a bias cut.

Comment

lizziwhizz, thanks for all your input!

Comment

Originally posted by lizziwhizz
                      I try to make my binding on the bias whenever possible. There is nothing wrong with straight grain binding, except that I get lots of threads unravelling from that cut edge, which doesn't happen with a bias cut.
                      well as this was something I was working with last week...do you have any pointers as the best way to do the bias binding? I was really struggling with this..and though I did get it done it was a bear and I feel I wasted a lot of fabric...

and welcome to the forums!!
                      Michele

Comment

I sometimes blend my binding in, if the quilt is traditional or a mini. With kid's quilts I like to contrast the binding in a fun color or stripes or even strips of the fabrics from the quilt. Every quilt tells me what it wants for binding.

I don't have any great tips but I ove doing the binding because it means the quilt will be done - yeah!

Comment

There are lots of variables with this one. Sometimes a quilt looks best with a scrappy binding and others something that blends in and doesn't distract from the main focus of the quilt. Then what about binding on straight grain vs bias binding? Again, this would depend on design in the fabric and use of quilt. If this is a simple wall-hanging it isn't likely it needs bias unless of course the pattern dictates it...example plaids or stripes. Now, if I'm making crib or larger I make sure a bias binding for better wear around the edges. Now these were just simple bindings but what about adding pipes, rick rack, and numerous other trims...the possibilities are endless. Just because the quilt is finished doesn't mean the binding can't also be spectacular!

Comment

Originally posted by Quilt Hollow
                            Just because the quilt is finished doesn't mean the binding can't also be spectacular!
                            I like the way you think!

Comment

It is so fun to read all your responses. I like most of you let the quilt speak to me. Sometimes it is nice to blend but sometimes I like to frame things in. My favorite however is a pieced scrappy binding. It always looks cheerful to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X