This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week 55 (man, ALIVE)

So a BIG congratulations to middlesis1966!! You won the Winter Parade charm pack. Email me your information and we will ship that charm out to you as soon as possible!

Ok, so I realize I skipped a week, and I am so sorry! My kids got strep throat, one right after another. Really, it was like the gift that keeps on giving. Thankfully they are all on the mend (antibiotics are amazing) and I am back to getting things done.

This week I am giving away a Button Bag Pattern from This and That. All I want to know is:

What is a favorite memory you have of you and your Mom. It can be something you do now, or something you loved doing together when you were little.

Get out the tissues, and bring on the memories!

Re: Week 55 (man, ALIVE)

Congrats to Middlesis!

I lost my mom (almost) 3 years ago to lung cancer so every memory I have is dear to me. However one of my favorites was a time of "dicipline". I was underage and had been out drinking with some friends I came home WAAAYYY overserved and mom knew it. Instead of saying a word to me, she allowed me to sleep it off but the next morning - OMG... She started slamming doors, cubbards, pot, pans - generally making as much noise as humanly possible, woke me up - made me run the vacuum, cut the lawn (all very loud tasks)... anyone who has ever had that next morning hangover headache can appreciate the true value of her lesson to me! We never talked about, we didn't need to - message received...thanks mom - for all the lessons. Miss you lady!

Comment

Way to go Middlesis!
      My mom turns 90 this year so I have lots of good memories. In fact I am taking her on a road trip next month to visit some of her friends. Same age group...so lots of tea drinking I am sure. Anyhow one memory stands out is going to see Fiddler on the Roof at the movie theater. Going to the show was a rare treat for us when I was young and we had such a good time. Mind you I have gone with her since to movies but if there is a love scene she will say in a very loud voice...'ohhh my!' and the like. Sooo embarassing. Gosh you would think she was 90 or something...lol!
      sigpic
      Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

FRIDAY! FRIDAY! FRIDAY! Looks like those girls are thru picking on me.

Okay another fabric giveaway! Oooh go look who the lucky winner wa...sss

Originally posted by sewhot View Post
        So a BIG congratulations to middlesis1966!!
        grabs phone and dials 411. Yes Illinois please, I need a listing for a middle sis or could be sis middle you never know with these screen names. No I don't know what city, it just says Illinois. Come on there can't be that many people with that name. Yeah like Illinois is a big state, PFFT I'm from Texas, now that's a big sta... Hello, hello!! Grumbles, probably one of Bridgette's relatives.

Seriously congrats middle or sis (whichever it is)

I know enough already. One of my mom stories is how she started this whole quilting bug. I spent several Christmases making homemade gifts. So we were going to an outlet mall north of where I live and stopped at a quilt store I had seen before. She liked to decorate T-shirts and stuff, but I'm really the only one who sews. Well there was a snowman pattern and she decided I needed to make my aunt and sister one. Well an hour and a half and lots of fabric later I was on my way to making my first quilts. I had enough fabric left over and surprised her with her own snowman quilt at Christmas!

She was so happy. Only thing is now she says "You need to make so and so a quilt."
        Shelia

Comment

Congratulations middlesis! I have a story which still makes me laugh and look over my shoulder at the same time! We lived in California at the time. I had had an accident and had a broken pelvis and a broken ankle and couldn't go to work. I had a check mailed to me and since I worked at the bank, I had to cash it at one of the branches. Trouble was we had no car and we needed the money. The closest bank was 10 miles away. There was no way me and my crutches were going to make the 10 miles.
          My Mom said come with me. We hobbled up a couple of blocks to a car dealership and she asked to test drive a car. They said sure. We beat feet to the bank and came back as quick as we could and she told them she was going home to ask my stepfather for the car. I feel guilty to this day cause we lied to the dealer but we ate that night. She thought it was a need answered. I'm still looking over my shoulder for the dealer and I live in New York and it was 40 years ago!!
          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Congrats Sis! My mom learned to drive later in life and she would come to see me at work, for lunch.
            There was one poor tree that mom would run over every time (small thin one but a tree anyways) Well she would run over it and then pull forward and the little tree would stand back up. Bless that little tree! Mom's gone now but I smile every time I think of that little tree Mom ran over every time! Sure do miss her, she always made me smile!
            Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Congratulations Middlesis!! I lost my mother 5 years ago to lung cancer and it seems like yesterday. We were very close and spent many times just laughing like crazy over something!! She was a great Mom and I miss her everyday
              Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

My mother passed away in 2007. There are so many special memories. She loved to can. Every summer we would sit out on the porch and shell black eye peas and green beans until I thought I would never wanted to see another one much less eat one, but once they were canned they were awesome! It was a fun time of visiting and shooting peas across to someone elses bucket (and getting in trouble if we missed too many times).

Comment

And congratulations to middlesis1966!

Comment

This seems like a great topic, congrats to previous winners.

Sadly I lost my mother to breast cancer nearly 30 years ago at the very young age of 48, this hit home very hard when I was diagnosed with breat cancer...at the age of 48. On the whole my mother had a hard life, she lost her first two children in a drowning accident but always had a positive outlook and a smile for everyone, she was loved by many people. My most important memories of her oddly are based in the things she taught me, the little sayings that set my feet on the right path. Things like: "always do the right thing regardless of the cost to yourself", "never criticise another until you have walked in their shoes" and "it is not your place to judge another, you can not see their soul". On a brighter note, there was the time she slipped me the money I needed to have my ears pierced when my father had expressly forbidden it and said she would fix it up with him.
                    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I lost my Mom 14 years ago to Lung Cancer. I miss her very much every day! When we were growing up there was not much money. Enough for food, shelter etc... but not much extra. One day I came home from 7th grad and my Mom had bought me an outfit. Remember Hot Pants? Top and Shorts to match mostly Red with white polka dots and trimmed with blue/white polka dots. It meant so much to me even at that age that my Mom had managed to eak out a few dollars to buy me something special. I loved that outfit and I love that memory!

Congrats middlesis1966!

Comment

My mother is 80 and I am so fortunate that I still have her and she is in good health. I visit with her ever few weeks and we hit the road.....shopping, eating, talking, laughing.... I cherish these days as I know that I will not always have them.

Happy Sewing,
                        Rae

Comment

I lost my mom 23 years ago to breast cancer. She taught me how to sew 41 years ago. I always looked forward to the weekends my dad had to work because I knew we would be sewing on something. As I got older we would do other things together. We made jelly every summer.

Congrats Middlesis1966

Lynne Leavell

Comment

My mom's mantra was, "You can do it if you set your mind to it. "

Her words still echo in my ears and have kept me on track to reach my goals.

Comment

My mom died a year and a half ago after complications from surgery. I have a lot of great memories, and miss he much, but I think the best memories are the ones she made with my kids and her other grandkids. She was a hands-on grandma - got down on the floor and played with them, baked with them, went out to play, etc. She didn't have a mean bone in her body, either. She was the best! I really appreciate it, because my mother-in-law, whom I love dearly, was the complete opposite. The most she let my kids do was color. My mother didn't care how messy her apt got, she made sure the kids had fun! My kids are grown now, but they have great memories.
                              Miss you a lot, mom!

Comment

Working...
                              X