Log Cabin Quilt-Along Spring 2009!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Log Cabin Quilt-Along Spring 2009!

dont you worry about it little lady,,,,,,,,,,,,,life always gets so busy at times,,,,,,,,,,,sounds like you had a busy week but funnnnnnn,,,,,,see you latter,,,,,
    ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

Well, I guess its a good thing I'm not the only one behind here! Here is my pic of my courthouse steps. Enjoy!

Comment

So cute Natalie! We've been waiting for you! Flo I saw pictures on your blog you need to post and share here and here too! I'll have my sashings post up today so you can finish!
        To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Re: Let's Sash this thing!

Begin by squaring your blocks. [attachment=21:1yf0vox6]100_0912.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]I squared mine to 10.5" so they are slightly smaller than originally planned [attachment=20:1yf0vox6]100_0918.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
          I trimmed anywhere from an 1/8", 1/4", & 1/2" inch from the edges of my blocks... usually between 1/8" and 1/4" around each edge.
          Cut your sashing fabric to 57" long.
          [attachment=19:1yf0vox6]100_0921.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
          Cut 6-57"x3.5" wide strips lengthwise from the 57" cut of fabric
          [attachment=18:1yf0vox6]100_0922.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
          You should be left with a piece of fabric approximately 57"x22"
          From this piece cut 26-10.5"x3.5" pieces
          This is a pic of my stack of 10.5" Strips and my 6-57" strips
          [attachment=17:1yf0vox6]100_0923.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]

Now you need to decide on the layout of your quilt. The diagram can help,
          [attachment=15:1yf0vox6]Blank Quilt Template.gif[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
          I swapped out the Square in a square for Courthouse Steps, but that was purely preference. You also need to decide on the direction of your blocks. Here's a picture of the direction my blocks are facing as they go into the quilt
          [attachment=13:1yf0vox6]100_0927.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6][attachment=16:1yf0vox6]100_0925.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6][attachment=14:1yf0vox6]100_0926.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
          Now we sew!

You'll be attaching 1-10.5"x3.5" strip to the right side of each block. This is why it's important to know the orientation of your blocks.[attachment=12:1yf0vox6]100_0930.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
          Stack your squares directly on top of eachother lined up so you can easily grab the side to be sewn to the sashing strips. Grab your stack of 10.5"x3.5" strips, stack both near the sewing machine and chain sew together.
          [attachment=11:1yf0vox6]100_0928.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
          Press open.
          [attachment=10:1yf0vox6]100_0929.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]

At this point you should layout your quilt so far and see how it's looking, arrange the pattern, and make sure it's coming together right [attachment=9:1yf0vox6]100_0931.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]If you choose to do it just like me take 2 of the Courthouse Steps, & Log Cabin blocks and 1 Square in a Square and add a 10.5" strip to the left side of each of these to finish off the ends of the rows. [attachment=8:1yf0vox6]100_0932.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]Press open.

Keep your quilt laid out so you can start pairing up your blocks right sides together across the rows and sew. [attachment=7:1yf0vox6]100_0933.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]Till you have 5 rows of 4 blocks and 5 sash strips each.

Next take your 6-57" long strips and layout between each row and one extra on the end to border it.
          [attachment=6:1yf0vox6]100_0935.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
          Sew one lengthwise to the top of each strip... Make sure it's the top! I hate taking out seams! (It didn't happen but almost!) Press open.[attachment=5:1yf0vox6]100_0936.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6][attachment=4:1yf0vox6]100_0937.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]

Add the 6th strip to the bottom of the bottom row. Don't forget to press!

At this point you need to take extra special care to pin and place your rows carefully! A little birdie told me that it's very easy to get off when sashing strips this way since there are no seams on your horizontal strip. When I lined them up I felt through the fabric to line up the block on the top layer of fabric with the edges of the blocks on the bottom layer of fabric. I pinned carefully at each block edge. [attachment=3:1yf0vox6]100_0938.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6] Then I would fold the edge down as straightly as possible to double check that they would line up. [attachment=2:1yf0vox6]100_0939.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6] Then sew. And pray, and press open

I did this in sets. [attachment=1:1yf0vox6]100_0940.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6] Like when sewing the blocks in the rows together. But very soon when this step is finished you will have a finished quilt top!

Now look and feel the grin start to spread!
          [attachment=0:1yf0vox6]100_0952.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
          Yay! The next amazing step is the quilting! After quilting you'll square the quilt and add binding!!! I can't wait to see how they turn out... including mine!! :mrgreen: 8-) :P (This deserves every happy smilie there is )

Comment

Very Nicely Done! I will try to get mine finished this weekend!

Comment

Hey who wants to see what I did with my extra block and backing?!?!?!

Yay! I knew you did![attachment=0:2epr4dx6]100_1131.JPG[/attachment:2epr4dx6][attachment=1:2epr4dx6]100_1133.JPG[/attachment:2epr4dx6]

Comment

very very nice!! love how you did the backing...
                Michele

Comment

Thanks shell It was fun trying to see what I could come up with using just my scraps!

Comment

Will there be a quilt show soon? Please post for us when it is ready
                    If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Comment

how are you going to long-arm it? are you going to have it stippled or do an all over design?
                      Michele

Comment

Well ladies...

... still deciding! ops:

It's amazing how quickly things get pushed to the back burner once the initial project is completed! I think I'm actually going to do some sketchy stitching on it to emphasize the suburbia name I gave it! We'll see how it goes!

Comment

HI, I'm not new to this community - but had not seen this topic until this morning .. wow. Looks like you all were having gun with that log cabin quilt project. Will there be a new quilt-along this coming year?
                          If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Quilt Vader
                            HI, I'm not new to this community - but had not seen this topic until this morning .. wow. Looks like you all were having gun with that log cabin quilt project. Will there be a new quilt-along this coming year?
                            I think that we will have some great projects in 2010!!
                            Michele

Comment

Thanks Shell for picking up my slack I've been rather sick for awhile and not myself I'm sorry. Quilt Vader, yes! I am sure we will have some fantastic new projects in 2010! We just don't know what they are yet that's where the inspiration comes in! And we're working on that! In the mean time I'm wondering if anyone has finished their quilts? ops: I'm embarrassed to say that I have not yet! What do you think about making that a goal for the end of the year? I know there were several people who started one and how about we have a little contest to see if we can finish?

Of course I hate to exclude anyone, so, if you will post a pic of an unfinished project that you want to set a goal to finish by the end of the year all those names will go into a hat and since I really want to see the log cabins finished I'll give double entries to those.... and for a prize what do you think of a little yardage?
                              Don't know what kind yet but feel free to offer suggestions and get out your projects!

Comment

drum roll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do ti doooooooooooooo,,,,,,finished,,,,,,,,,,,i got my log cabin finished,,,,,,,,the first one, i have enough blocks to make two,,,,,,,,,,,,,and my son got it for xmas, and hes in love, love , love with it,,,,,,,,,,,,i want to thank you guys for the great lessons,,,,,,,,,,,i learned soooo much,,,,really, i did, and it was fun toooooo,,,it gave me that extra push to do a quilt,,and cant wait for the next one,,,,,,happy sledding today,,,
                                ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X