Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Log Cabin Quilt-Along Spring 2009!

Flo,
    Your blocks are awesome! I love all the brights, way to go!

Hill,
    The square in a square is so great!!! I can't wait to see this all done!

Comment

[attachment=0:ji02w14x]P5060080.JPG[/attachment:ji02w14x] Here it is! My square in a square blocks! I REALLY love this one! Thanks Hillary!

Comment

Wow!! I was gone for the weekend and it's so fun to come back and see what you guys have been up to! Flo, way to go on your blocks! They look great and I'm glad you did what worked for you to! That's the fun of the quilt along! Natalie, I love yours too! I'm impressed you got them done "sew" quickly too! It's amazing what a few late nights will do for your waiting projects!
        To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Everybody's blocks look great! I still haven't started. And we're leaving tomorrow for Destin for a week, so I won't be able to start for a little while, but I have all my fabric ready now. Washed and everything. So I can get right on this when we get back. Keep up the good work ladies!

Comment

Yay for you! I can't wait to see all the blocks coming together! Have fun on your trip midnight!

Comment

My name is Debbie from Tucson and I am so excited to have found your site! Step by step directions with pictures - jsut what I needed! Today I will be picking out my colors - I have an idea (from my sister) that I will be doing different floral prints (mauve) and for my lights - different shades of whites and off whites - I got this idea from seeing my sister Sandy's beautiful quilt in these colors. Anyway, thanks for being there for those of us that just have to have pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by dsauntman
                My name is Debbie from Tucson and I am so excited to have found your site! Step by step directions with pictures - jsut what I needed! Today I will be picking out my colors - I have an idea (from my sister) that I will be doing different floral prints (mauve) and for my lights - different shades of whites and off whites - I got this idea from seeing my sister Sandy's beautiful quilt in these colors. Anyway, thanks for being there for those of us that just have to have pictures!
                Welcome Debbie!! Glad you found us and I can't wait to see what you pick for your quilt a long fabrics. We are photo loving quilters....so if you snap some pics be sure to upload them for us to see!!!
                Michele

Comment

Debbie that sounds beautiful! And shell is right! We love to see pics! Here's one of my blocks laid out
                  [attachment=0:3f1j9ar5]100_0554.JPG[/attachment:3f1j9ar5]It's not much to look at now but I'm so excited! Just missing the courthouse steps block!

Comment

hey, that's a cool pic! thanks for showing us a sneak preview of how it will come together!

Comment

Sewing the Courthouse Steps block

Alright! We've made it to the last block!
                      [attachment=0:3zzawwyp]100_0602.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

For the Courthouse Steps we will be putting the blocks together a little differently than the traditional Log Cabin's. Instead of going around the center square in a circle we will add a piece to the top, then the bottom of your center. Then you'll add a piece to the right side, then the left to complete a row. You repeat these steps until you've added all the rows needed for your block.

[attachment=1:3zzawwyp]100_0579.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]To start gather your Courthouse Steps fabric and layout atleast 1 set of strips according to the diagram for guidance.
                      [attachment=2:3zzawwyp]100_0580.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

1. Start by place a 2" Primary and Secondary block right sides together and sew. [attachment=3:3zzawwyp]100_0581.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp] At this point it doesn't even matter what side you sew, unless your fabric is directional and you want them all facing a certain way, otherwise... just sew one side and press open. By the way, I hurt my thumb, it's not just dirty :|
                      Your blocks look like this...
                      [attachment=4:3zzawwyp]100_0582.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

2. Place the second 2" Secondary fabric Right sides together on the opposite side of the center 2" square.[attachment=5:3zzawwyp]100_0583.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp] You will have a 5" pieced strip that goes Secondary, Primary, Secondary. Like this...
                      [attachment=7:3zzawwyp]100_0585.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
                      Your layout looks like this...
                      [attachment=6:3zzawwyp]100_0584.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

3. Place 1 - 5" Primary colored fabric strip right sides together along the top of the pieced strip. [attachment=8:3zzawwyp]100_0586.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
                      **I'm going to offer up a tip at this point - you are sewing a solid strip along the side of 3 pieced fabrics. This will occasionally give extra stretch to the pieced fabric since no seams are going across them to stabilize it. I would caution you to make your block fit the precut strip instead of stretching the strip to fit the block. You know that the strip is cut the right length so if you find that your pieces are lining up like this... [attachment=11:3zzawwyp]100_0590.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
                      Just line up your corners and edges and lay them flat against the sewing machine with a little pressure to ease the block into position with the fabric strip avoiding puckers and folds. And sew through!
                      [attachment=12:3zzawwyp]100_0591.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
                      Tada! Step three is done.
                      [attachment=9:3zzawwyp]100_0587.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

4. Add the second 5" Primary colored strip to the bottom of the pieced center strip. To complete the first row around the center square.
                      [attachment=10:3zzawwyp]100_0588.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

5. Continue in the previous manner and add the 5" Secondary colored strip to the side of the pieced block.
                      [attachment=13:3zzawwyp]100_0592.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

6. Add the second 5" Secondary colored strip to the opposite side of the pieced block.
                      [attachment=14:3zzawwyp]100_0593.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

7. Add the 8" Primary colored strip to the top of the pieced block.
                      [attachment=15:3zzawwyp]100_0594.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

8. Add the second 8" Primary colored strip to the bottom of the pieced block.
                      [attachment=16:3zzawwyp]100_0595.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

9. Add the 8" Secondary colored strip to the side of the pieced block.
                      [attachment=17:3zzawwyp]100_0596.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

10. Add the second 8" Secondary colored strip to the opposite side of the pieced block.
                      [attachment=18:3zzawwyp]100_0597.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
                      Yay!! It's the last of the Secondary color strips! All that's left is one set of Primary colors! Maybe I'm weird but I love the way this block looks right now too! I may have to do something with rectangles
                      [attachment=19:3zzawwyp]100_0598.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

11. Despite how cute your blocks are at the moment go ahead and add the 11" Primary colored strip to the top of the pieced block.
                      [attachment=20:3zzawwyp]100_0599.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

12. Aaahh! Here goes add the last set of 11" Primary colored strips to the bottom of the pieced block!
                      [attachment=21:3zzawwyp]100_0600.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
                      Look how pretty they are!

You'll now have seven of each block at this stage of the project!
                      [attachment=22:3zzawwyp]100_0603.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

You can now start thinking about the layout because in 2 weeks we'll be sashing them!
                      [attachment=23:3zzawwyp]100_0604.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

Comment

wow, your blocks are beautiful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,those fabrics so enhance each others beauty,,,,,great job,,,,,

flo
                        ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

First, everyones blocks are gorgeous,,,,,,,,,,,,,all you ladies that are starting are going to love doing these blocks, they are fun and easy, specially for a beginer quilter like me,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have my second ones done, and finally took a pic of them, here they are, so now i can start the third block,,,,thanks bunches hillary,,,,,,so fun,,,,,,
                          ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

Flo, your blocks look great! I am so glad you are enjoying it so much!

Comment

Those look fantastic Flo! I love the variety! You've got some great fabrics goin' on there! This has been fun hasn't it! It's fun to play with and try some quilting, and the best part is you never have to match a single corner or point!!!

I have to say, I'm thrilled that in a couple of weeks I'm going to have a completed quilt top!!!

Comment

Hey ladies! Sorry for the delay in sashing instructions! ops:

Last week when they were supposed to be posted I realized Mon. that I should have done it the week before because I had to make 1000 truffles last week for my brother in law's wedding reception! :x Aaah! I only got 600 made but it was fine and I ran out of time so that's that! And this week I was making the wedding cake in MO.

So after all that I'm home now and will be working on sashing and should get the tutorial up by early next week. Thanks for your patience ladies!

Comment

Working...
                                X