Log Cabin Quilt-Along Spring 2009!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Log Cabin Quilt-Along Spring 2009!

I have all but one piece of my fabric, but it all needs to be prepped still, so I will be another day or two before I start cutting.

Comment

i had to go look up what was court house steps, and which was log cabin, i never did one of these and i couldnt figure what was what,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i think that the one with the two--- two inch blocks is the court house, could someone tell me if i am right before i start cutting,,,,,,,,,,,,duh,,,,,,thats me ,,,,,,,lol,,,,,i figured the block on block is the easy one, lol

off to mushroom hunt,,,whoooohoooo,,,,,,
      ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

Log Cabin Block Variations

Hey so I saw your post and figured I better clarify block styles.[attachment=0:2aolxjy4]The burbs block styles.JPG[/attachment:2aolxjy4]
        Thanks to everyone who's asking questions. It helps all of us! I'm not always sure how clear my instructions are but I'm trying and grateful to have everyone's feedback and questions! I hope you all are having fun gathering fabric starting our project! See ya Friday with sewing instructions! After that it will be every 2 weeks!
        To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Thanks for the new illustration! It helps out a lot. I had another question but the picture answered it for me. So thanks again!

Comment

Just so you ladies know I did a little updating

-First I updated my opening post so it will have a link to each post containing instructions for the Quilt along so we don't have to sift through pages of comments to find them
            -I also uploaded new diagrams for our cutting instructions!! Hopefully they will be a little clearer. Still the same process just clearer pictures. The idea for these is to read the instructions & then you can check your cutting against the picture before you start to make sure you will get the right amount of pieces from each Fat Quarter.
            -I noticed a miscalculation for the sashings as I've been checking over things it will require 2 yds instead of 1 2/3. I fixed this in the opening post as well.

Al right ladies 2 days to sewing!

Comment

EEEK!! This is so exciting!! I can't wait to see everyone's stuff!!! (you know, fabric and blocks!)

You Gals are impressive!

Comment

Sewing the Log Cabin Block!

Hurray! Today we are learning the Log Cabin Block![attachment=0:1v2xgwyt]100_0434.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

This block is fun because basically what your doing is taking strips in graduating sizes and starting from the center you simply add a piece, & turn your block, add a strip, turn your block, add a strip, etc! Really pretty simple you just go around and around the center square until all the strips are on and your block is as big as you want it!

First you'll want to get out your strips from the bag labeled Log cabin [attachment=1:1v2xgwyt]100_0425.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]and separate your stacks by size.

I found it helpful to lay out my block on the table in the order that it would be put together. I'll reference sizes in the post but you can use this picture as a reference.[attachment=2:1v2xgwyt]100_0437.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

step 1 place the 2" squares from your Primary and Secondary colors right sides together [attachment=3:1v2xgwyt]100_0438.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]
                It's helpful to chain stitch these. [attachment=4:1v2xgwyt]100_0439.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt] I still have one block laid so I can see what direction my pieces are going together but I chain stitch each group to save time and thread
                sew and press open. [attachment=6:1v2xgwyt]100_0442.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt] Woohoo! Your on your way! Your block now looks like this...[attachment=5:1v2xgwyt]100_0440.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt] Your primary color should be at the top. Repeat this step for all seven sets of 2" squares. (chain stitch!)

2. Lay the 3.5" Secondary color strip on top of your sewn pieces right sides together.
                [attachment=7:1v2xgwyt]100_0443.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt] sew & press open. Repeat with all seven sets. To assist in chain sewing I lay my blocks out in front of my sewing machine all facing the same direction[attachment=8:1v2xgwyt]100_0444.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt] Then I lay the next piece on top [attachment=9:1v2xgwyt]100_0445.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt] and send them all through the machine one after the other. This helps assure the they all get sewn facing the same direction. This is particularly important as you get more & more strips on. You want to make sure your pieces are sewn to the correct side
                Here we are![attachment=10:1v2xgwyt]100_0446.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

3. Lay the 3.5" Primary color strip on top of your sewn pieces right sides together. [attachment=11:1v2xgwyt]100_0447.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt] When you lay out your blocks for chain sewing make sure they are all facing the same direction[attachment=12:1v2xgwyt]100_0448.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt] Lay the 3.5" Primary on top [attachment=13:1v2xgwyt]100_0449.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]sew them all to the same side [attachment=14:1v2xgwyt]100_0450.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]& press open. [attachment=15:1v2xgwyt]100_0451.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]Repeat with all seven sets.

4. This time you'll add the 5" strip to your sewn block. Use the pieces you have layed out to reference which side. From this point on the strip you add will always be added to the side where it touches three strips. All the other sides only have 2 on the outside. (If that doesn't make sense don't worry! Just continue to use your layout and place your blocks carefully ) Your blocks are getting big enough now that it will be hard to lay them out individually for chain sewing. Instead you can simply stack your sewn block's so they face all the same direction & line up the new strip next to it on the side that it will be sewn to.[attachment=16:1v2xgwyt]100_0452.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt] And just put each set together as you sew them. As long as they're lined up right it works just fine You'll continue adding strips in this manner using the block layout as a reference.
                You've now got your first 2 rows of your log cabin up! (I'm including the center square ) [attachment=17:1v2xgwyt]100_0453.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

5. Add the 5" Secondary color strip [attachment=18:1v2xgwyt]100_0426.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

6. Add the 6.5" Secondary color strip [attachment=19:1v2xgwyt]100_0427.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

7. Add the 6.5" Primary color strip [attachment=20:1v2xgwyt]100_0428.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

8. Add the 8" Primary color strip [attachment=21:1v2xgwyt]100_0429.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

9. Add the 8" Secondary color strip (sorry forgot my picture ops: )

10. Add the 9.5" Secondary color strip [attachment=22:1v2xgwyt]100_0430.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

11. Add the 9.5" Primary color strip [attachment=23:1v2xgwyt]100_0431.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

12. Add the 11" Primary color strip [attachment=24:1v2xgwyt]100_0432.JPG[/attachment:1v2xgwyt]

Hurray! You did it! What do you think of my block? I can't wait to see your's!!!
                Let me know if you have any questions!

Comment

Hill, THAT'S SO AWESOME!!! I love it, seriously. Great fabric choices. I knew I'd like it but seeing them sewn all together is just so great. Hooray!

Comment

YES! Oh. My. Gorgeous! I'm going to do mine tonight!!!

Comment

Okay, I'm really excited now! I spent a few hours last night cutting...and started sewing this morning! With all the pieces cut out they just came together so fast! Now, I can hardly wait to get to the next ones! I LOVED that when I was finished...they were all done! (Because of the strip piecing.) that was great![attachment=0:3hwjihsk]P4210002.JPG[/attachment:3hwjihsk]

Get on it girls! Its easy once you get started. ...really, I can't wait to get these finished!

Comment

So fun Nat! I like the colors It's going to be a happy quilt!

Comment

your blocks are awesome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so colorful and pretty,,,,,wow,,,,,,,im a little behind, ill be cutting soon , oh i cant wait,,,,,,

Thank you so much for the update on what block was what, i did have them backwards,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,but im sure glad im doing this quilt along, im already learning things i didnt know,,,,,
                          ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

Oh tilelady we're never behind! Just savoring the moment! I can't wait to see your blocks!

Comment

I had hoped to start yesterday, but life got in the way. I did get a new car this weekend though, so no complaints!

I really like both of the blocks you ladies have posted so far. And the details in the instructions, along with the pictures are wonderful!

Can't wait to have my own pics to show!

Comment

Originally posted by midnight
                                I had hoped to start yesterday, but life got in the way. I did get a new car this weekend though, so no complaints!

I really like both of the blocks you ladies have posted so far. And the details in the instructions, along with the pictures are wonderful!

Can't wait to have my own pics to show!
                                Yay for new cars!! That always makes life easier (well, except for the payments!) But, aside from that...YAY!!! I can't wait to see your blocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X