Log Cabin Quilt-Along Spring 2009!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Directions

OK... Well first up my hat goes off to anyone who does these tutorials. Wow! :shock: This took alot longer than I thought! And it is with that thought that I apologize for being late on having this posted. All I can say is I know better for next time!

So, here are the cutting diagrams (Sorry I don't have pdf making capabilities at this time)
    This first diagram covers the Primary color's cutting instructions. [attachment=1:2eymuzpy]Primary Color Cutting Guide.jpg[/attachment:2eymuzpy]The second diagram covers the cutting instructions for the Secondary color. [attachment=0:2eymuzpy]Secondary Color Cutting Guide.jpg[/attachment:2eymuzpy]

Let's start at the beginning. These are my narrowed down fabric choices! If you saw my post earlier that talked about all the fabrics I was looking at you'll know this is definitely narrowed down! I definitely feel that choosing fabrics is one of the hardest parts of quilting!
    Here are my Primary's in order from dark to light.[attachment=2:2eymuzpy]100_0403.JPG[/attachment:2eymuzpy]You'll notice that I have 2 at the top. Those are my 2 sets of 2 matching Dark FQ's, one is a half yard cut (since it required 2FQ's) the other is 2 very similar FQ's. Next is a half yard cut of a lighter red, followed by the last two FQ's in Medium light and light color.

These are my Secondary colors[attachment=3:2eymuzpy]100_0404.JPG[/attachment:2eymuzpy] I'm a little embarrassed since it seems I need to make a slight adjustment to the fabric requirements though nothing serious (I will go back and edit this in the requirements post) You needed 2 FQ's of both the Dark and Medium shaded Secondary fabric's but instead of the Darkest needing to be the same it is actually the Medium that need to be the same. ops: Don't worry if you already got fabric to match the other instructions you still have enough fabric! You just may need to swap the Dark and Medium fabric placement. (Or you can always buy an extra fat quarter to match your favorite Medium color!) If you have extra anyway, hurray for you! That was lucky! The reason I still have 2 colors for my medium is because I had a little more than a FQ in the orange flower material. The top piece is 2 FQ's.

I decided several things after coloring in my quilt sketch I hope you all did too. I decided to leave out my green and to skip the improvisational square and just do it traditionally. I'm sure you'll all appreciate that for the time being. If not feel free to improv away!
    [attachment=4:2eymuzpy]100_0407.JPG[/attachment:2eymuzpy]This is a picture of my first set of Dominant colors all cut so you can see how this transfers from drawing to fabric.
    • Here goes.
      We will have a standard of 2" wide strips.

Always assume that your FQ's are cut with the selvedge at the bottom and cutting your 2" strips vertically across the original width of fabric, unless otherwise stated. And always start by trimming the edge of your fabric square & straight, removing as little fabric as possible.

I like to have a scale drawing of my block on paper and I use this to organize my fabric as it is cut. I can then see as my pieces come out where they go, how it is looking and if I am missing any. I just use any old scrap paper, I had to tape 2 sheets together in order to be able to cut it at the 10.5" finished size. If you want to do this you can use the quilt template as guidance for the block. Each strip has a finished width of 1.5". If you don't just have a piece of paper or cardboard that is labeled with the block name. You should have 3 papers each labeled with one of the following - Log Cabin, Courthouse Steps, & Square in a Square

We will start with one set of 2 matching Dark - Dominant FQ's. If it matters to you which fabric goes on which square this will be for the Log Cabin and Courthouse Steps blocks. It is a good idea to have a designated area to place your cut fabric.

1. Begin by trimming the edge of your FQ's to straighten them. Then cut an 11" strip from one FQ. Turn this piece and cut it into 10-11x2" strips. Cut the remaining 7" piece into 3-2" strips then trim down to 11" each discarding or saving the rest. Cut your second FQ into 8-2" strips, cut from those 8-11" strips and 7-9.5" strips as shown in the first diagram labeled 1.A & 1.B
      -Place 7-11" strips and 7-9.5" strips on the Log Cabin paper.
      -Place 14-11" strips on the Courthouse Steps paper.

2. Take your second set of 2 matching Dark - Dominant FQ's and cut them both into 7-2" strips. You will have 14-2" strips total now. From those cut 7-8" strips, 7-11" strips, & 14-9.5" strips as shown in the diagram labeled #1.C & #1.D
      -Place 7-11" strips, 14-9.5" strips, and 7-8" strips on the Square in a Square paper.

3. Take your 2 Medium Dark - Dominant FQ's cut them both into 7-2" strips. You will have 14-2" strips total now. From those cut 21-8" strips & 7-6.5" strips as shown in the diagram labeled #2.A & #2.B
      -Place 7-8" strips and 7-6.5" strips on the Log Cabin paper.
      -Place 14-8" strips on the Courthouse Steps paper.

4. Take your Medium Light - Dominant FQ and cut into 7-2" strips. Cut these into 21-5" strips & 7-3.5" strips as shown in the diagram labeled #3
      -Place 7-5" strips and 7-3.5" strips on the Log Cabin paper.
      -Place 14-5" strips on the Courthouse Steps paper.

5. Take your Light - Dominant FQ and cut into 7-2" strips. Cut these into 7-5" strips, 14-3.5" strips, & 21-2" squares as shown in the diagram labeled #4
      -Place 7-2" squares on the Log Cabin paper.
      -Place 7-2" squares on the Courthouse Steps paper.
      -Place 7-5" strips, 14-3.5" strips, and 7-2" squares on the Square in a Square paper.

At this point your fabric should look something like this-[attachment=5:2eymuzpy]100_0409.JPG[/attachment:2eymuzpy]Separated out onto your block papers. They don't have to be in block form, but at least on the correct block papers.

We're going to start working with the Secondary colors now.
      6. Take your 2 Dark - Secondary FQ's and cut them both into 7-2" strips. You will have 14-2" strips total now. Cut these into 7-9.5" strips & 21-8" strips as shown in the diagram labeled #5.A & #5.B
      -Place 7-9.5" strips and 7-8" strips on the Log Cabin paper.
      -Place 14-8" strips on the Courthouse Steps paper.

7. Take your Medium - Secondary FQ's (these should be the same if possible) This one's tight & a little tricky. Start by trimming as little as possible to straighten your edges. Cut a 6" strip off each FQ, set aside the uncut section, turn the 6" strips sideways, and cut a 2" strip from the end of both strips. Trim both 2" strips to 5" long & discard extra piece. Turn the 6" piece back to a vertical position & cut into 3-2" strips each for a total of 6-2" strips. Cut these into 18-6.5" strips. Take the sections that were set aside and cut both into 5-2" strips for a total of 10-2" strips. Take 4 strips and cut 2-8" strips from 3 and 1-8" strip from the last, then cut the end pieces into 3-5" strips and 2-6.5" strips. Take 5 strips and cut into 24-5" pieces. Cut the last strip into 3-5" strips and 1-6.5" strip. This step should give you a total of 7-8" strips, 21-6.5" strips, & 28-5" strips. The diagram for this step is labeled #6.A & #6.B
      -Place 7-6.5" strips and 7-5" strips on the Log Cabin paper.
      -Place 14-5" strips on the Courthouse Steps paper.
      -Place 7-8" strips, 14-6.5" strips, and 7-5" strips on the Square in a Square paper.

8. Take your last FQ, the Light - Secondary FQ, and cut 4-2" strips off it. Cut these into 7-3.5" strips and 28-2" squares as shown in the diagram labeled #7
      -Place 7-3.5" strips and 7-2"squares on the Log Cabin paper.
      -Place 14-2" squares on the Courthouse Steps paper.
      -Place 7-2" squares on the Square in a Square paper.

Your fabric is now all cut and separated! Hurray![attachment=6:2eymuzpy]100_0411.JPG[/attachment:2eymuzpy]

Because of the many little hands at my house and not knowing when I will be able to get back to a project I like to store my blocks somewhat enclosed. Here's what I do, I gathered 3 large ziploc type bags and labeled each with the name of one block style.
    I took the fabric at each block section and carefully stacked it by size largest to smallest. You end up with 3 sets of fabric stacks like these [attachment=7:2eymuzpy]100_0413.JPG[/attachment:2eymuzpy] One for each block, they're still on the block papers.
    I lift each stack and fold in half if necessary [attachment=8:2eymuzpy]100_0414.JPG[/attachment:2eymuzpy](BE CAREFUL! I try to leave them as close as possible to their stacked state so I can tell where my sizes are... no one wants to have to go through a bag full of little fabric pieces measuring each one trying to figure out where they all go!)
    Before placing them in the appropriately labeled ziploc. [attachment=9:2eymuzpy]100_0416.JPG[/attachment:2eymuzpy]
    Put them somewhere safe and they will patiently wait for us to be ready for the next step!
    [attachment=10:2eymuzpy]100_0420.JPG[/attachment:2eymuzpy]

Yay!! I can't wait to see your progress with your fabric! Good luck and post here or on my blog if you have a question about anything!

To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Re: Log Cabin Quilt-Along Spring 2009!

Okay, here is a picture of my possible fabrics...I am still very unsure about how this fabric might look in a log cabin style block. What do you think? I could take out a few and add some white...?? HELP!!!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3451215355/

and how do I decide where to put which fabric? I don't seem to have different shades of the same color...should I just try to pick different fabric?

Comment

Natalie those are great! I even like the way you have them lined up! Though I might flip the browns and yellows around so the yellows are in the center... But I like it either way! And hey are the white flowers that match in the brown and blue Katie jumps rope? Because I have a half yard in orange I was thinking about using!!! I thought it was red when I bought it but it's really more orange and not quite the right orange... Oh well I like how mine is coming together! I just have to see if I can round up enough for my pink vintagy :?: one.

Anyhow no you definitely don't need new fabrics... though you don't have very many matching ones do you??? Are they all FQ's? You've got enough you could probably work it out anyway, just a little more brain work. But less money that way! And they're great fabrics I really like those 2 greens I must have a thing for greens... I'll do something green eventually... Maybe it's spring :P

Comment

Listen to me ramble I think it's getting late

Comment

thanks for the instructions...I'll be going on my "fabric pilgrimage" next weekend so I will be starting mine then.

I love the fabric choices that have been posted so far..I can't wait to see everyone's progress.
            Michele

Comment

I am so confused!!

Your color choices are awesome!! i love those reds and oranges Hill. I can't wait to see your blocks put together!!

Comment

so,,after we have cut these, we have all the pieces for the entire quilt, at the size you mentioned, is this right????sorry for being so lame on this, but its really confusing for me,,,,,,,i have never cut up so many different pieces before,,,this is a first for me,,,,

Happy Day,,,,
                FLO

heres the start of my colors, not sure if im gonig to use the brown blue, or brown green,,,,,,or tomorrow i might like something else, lol,,,,,

I love all the colors everyone else has posted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,great choices
                ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

Any project can be confusing! What I want you ladies to do is print the diagrams and sit them by were you are cutting then read the directions and follow them just check the diagram for clarity on which strips are cut from where.

And yes tilelady, you will have all the pieces cut for the blocks of your quilt after this step. We will cut the sashings later.

You're cutting a total of 13 FQ's (3.25 yds) and 1 2/3 yard of sashing fabric (later) to get a large lap sized sampler style quilt.

This is gonna be fun! I love the look of freshly cut fabric don't you? Those happy colors with clean crisp edges are just beautiful! Speaking of, tilelady, I love your blues and greens and browns! You might even want to use a mix of both colors It would make the log cabin pattern really stand out!

Comment

so i went to your great, fabulous link of color coordinating, by Fransson, and now im making my log cabin quilt a mixture of the color wheel, rainbow colors,,,,,,,,,,,,plus i was thinking i could get rid of a bunch of fats i have laying around,,,and save my blue brown for another quilt,,,,,will be printing off tomorrow, and cutting,,,,,,,,,,im more of a larger type quilt lover, so im going to double your directions,,,,,,and if i have leftovers,,,,,how wonderful will it be to have matching pillow shams,,,,,,,,,,,woooohoooo,,,,,what fun,,,,,

Happy Day to all,,,
                    FLO
                    ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

Haha! tilelady that's awesome! I understand the large quilt feeling I am the same! I'm forcing myself to work on the smaller ones anyway though! They will be great for tv blankets. After thinking about it alot :!: I'm actually really looking forward to having a big basket of colorful blankets in the family room!

Isn't Oh Frannson wonderful! She did a great color discussion & the rainbow color theme sounds fun!

Comment

love your choices tilelady...but I'm partial to blue/brown/green as a combo anyways....I think I may do blues/browns for mine as well....or maybe to match my sofa I'll do golds/reds/greens.....hmmmm....or maybe to match my new kitchen that I'm designing.....reds....blues....toile....

the choices are going to kill me....
                        Michele

Comment

Originally posted by shell.scraps
                          love your choices tilelady...but I'm partial to blue/brown/green as a combo anyways....I think I may do blues/browns for mine as well....or maybe to match my sofa I'll do golds/reds/greens.....hmmmm....or maybe to match my new kitchen that I'm designing.....reds....blues....toile....

hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by shell.scraps

Consider me DEAD!!! Hahahahaahaha.....I am freaking out!

Comment

I can't wait to see everyone's blocks! Your fabric choices are awesome Hill! I wish I wasn't such a newbie or I'd give this a try! Too scary for little ol' me! You guys rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Misty
                                I can't wait to see everyone's blocks! Your fabric choices are awesome Hill! I wish I wasn't such a newbie or I'd give this a try! Too scary for little ol' me! You guys rock!
                                I agree.........For those of you who are confused............Me too! I'm still trying to learn though. Maybe I will understand as time goes along. I'm just in it to see how this all works.......at least this time. I might try it next time, or later. I am really looking forward to seeing everyones progress pictures.
                                sigpic www.seejaysnotes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X