X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natalie
    replied
    Re: Log Cabin Quilt-Along Spring 2009!

Very Nicely Done! I will try to get mine finished this weekend!

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied
    Re: Let's Sash this thing!

Begin by squaring your blocks. [attachment=21:1yf0vox6]100_0912.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]I squared mine to 10.5" so they are slightly smaller than originally planned [attachment=20:1yf0vox6]100_0918.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
    I trimmed anywhere from an 1/8", 1/4", & 1/2" inch from the edges of my blocks... usually between 1/8" and 1/4" around each edge.
    Cut your sashing fabric to 57" long.
    [attachment=19:1yf0vox6]100_0921.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
    Cut 6-57"x3.5" wide strips lengthwise from the 57" cut of fabric
    [attachment=18:1yf0vox6]100_0922.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
    You should be left with a piece of fabric approximately 57"x22"
    From this piece cut 26-10.5"x3.5" pieces
    This is a pic of my stack of 10.5" Strips and my 6-57" strips
    [attachment=17:1yf0vox6]100_0923.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]

Now you need to decide on the layout of your quilt. The diagram can help,
    [attachment=15:1yf0vox6]Blank Quilt Template.gif[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
    I swapped out the Square in a square for Courthouse Steps, but that was purely preference. You also need to decide on the direction of your blocks. Here's a picture of the direction my blocks are facing as they go into the quilt
    [attachment=13:1yf0vox6]100_0927.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6][attachment=16:1yf0vox6]100_0925.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6][attachment=14:1yf0vox6]100_0926.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
    Now we sew!

You'll be attaching 1-10.5"x3.5" strip to the right side of each block. This is why it's important to know the orientation of your blocks.[attachment=12:1yf0vox6]100_0930.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
    Stack your squares directly on top of eachother lined up so you can easily grab the side to be sewn to the sashing strips. Grab your stack of 10.5"x3.5" strips, stack both near the sewing machine and chain sew together.
    [attachment=11:1yf0vox6]100_0928.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
    Press open.
    [attachment=10:1yf0vox6]100_0929.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]

At this point you should layout your quilt so far and see how it's looking, arrange the pattern, and make sure it's coming together right [attachment=9:1yf0vox6]100_0931.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]If you choose to do it just like me take 2 of the Courthouse Steps, & Log Cabin blocks and 1 Square in a Square and add a 10.5" strip to the left side of each of these to finish off the ends of the rows. [attachment=8:1yf0vox6]100_0932.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]Press open.

Keep your quilt laid out so you can start pairing up your blocks right sides together across the rows and sew. [attachment=7:1yf0vox6]100_0933.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]Till you have 5 rows of 4 blocks and 5 sash strips each.

Next take your 6-57" long strips and layout between each row and one extra on the end to border it.
    [attachment=6:1yf0vox6]100_0935.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
    Sew one lengthwise to the top of each strip... Make sure it's the top! I hate taking out seams! (It didn't happen but almost!) Press open.[attachment=5:1yf0vox6]100_0936.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6][attachment=4:1yf0vox6]100_0937.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]

Add the 6th strip to the bottom of the bottom row. Don't forget to press!

At this point you need to take extra special care to pin and place your rows carefully! A little birdie told me that it's very easy to get off when sashing strips this way since there are no seams on your horizontal strip. When I lined them up I felt through the fabric to line up the block on the top layer of fabric with the edges of the blocks on the bottom layer of fabric. I pinned carefully at each block edge. [attachment=3:1yf0vox6]100_0938.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6] Then I would fold the edge down as straightly as possible to double check that they would line up. [attachment=2:1yf0vox6]100_0939.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6] Then sew. And pray, and press open

I did this in sets. [attachment=1:1yf0vox6]100_0940.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6] Like when sewing the blocks in the rows together. But very soon when this step is finished you will have a finished quilt top!

Now look and feel the grin start to spread!
    [attachment=0:1yf0vox6]100_0952.JPG[/attachment:1yf0vox6]
    Yay! The next amazing step is the quilting! After quilting you'll square the quilt and add binding!!! I can't wait to see how they turn out... including mine!! :mrgreen: 8-) :P (This deserves every happy smilie there is )

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

So cute Natalie! We've been waiting for you! Flo I saw pictures on your blog you need to post and share here and here too! I'll have my sashings post up today so you can finish!

Leave a comment:

• Natalie
    replied

Well, I guess its a good thing I'm not the only one behind here! Here is my pic of my courthouse steps. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• tilelady
    replied

dont you worry about it little lady,,,,,,,,,,,,,life always gets so busy at times,,,,,,,,,,,sounds like you had a busy week but funnnnnnn,,,,,,see you latter,,,,,

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

Hey ladies! Sorry for the delay in sashing instructions! ops:

Last week when they were supposed to be posted I realized Mon. that I should have done it the week before because I had to make 1000 truffles last week for my brother in law's wedding reception! :x Aaah! I only got 600 made but it was fine and I ran out of time so that's that! And this week I was making the wedding cake in MO.

So after all that I'm home now and will be working on sashing and should get the tutorial up by early next week. Thanks for your patience ladies!

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

Those look fantastic Flo! I love the variety! You've got some great fabrics goin' on there! This has been fun hasn't it! It's fun to play with and try some quilting, and the best part is you never have to match a single corner or point!!!

I have to say, I'm thrilled that in a couple of weeks I'm going to have a completed quilt top!!!

Leave a comment:

• sewhot
    replied

Flo, your blocks look great! I am so glad you are enjoying it so much!

Leave a comment:

• tilelady
    replied

First, everyones blocks are gorgeous,,,,,,,,,,,,,all you ladies that are starting are going to love doing these blocks, they are fun and easy, specially for a beginer quilter like me,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have my second ones done, and finally took a pic of them, here they are, so now i can start the third block,,,,thanks bunches hillary,,,,,,so fun,,,,,,

Leave a comment:

• tilelady
    replied

wow, your blocks are beautiful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,those fabrics so enhance each others beauty,,,,,great job,,,,,

flo

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied
    Sewing the Courthouse Steps block

Alright! We've made it to the last block!
    [attachment=0:3zzawwyp]100_0602.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

For the Courthouse Steps we will be putting the blocks together a little differently than the traditional Log Cabin's. Instead of going around the center square in a circle we will add a piece to the top, then the bottom of your center. Then you'll add a piece to the right side, then the left to complete a row. You repeat these steps until you've added all the rows needed for your block.

[attachment=1:3zzawwyp]100_0579.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]To start gather your Courthouse Steps fabric and layout atleast 1 set of strips according to the diagram for guidance.
    [attachment=2:3zzawwyp]100_0580.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

1. Start by place a 2" Primary and Secondary block right sides together and sew. [attachment=3:3zzawwyp]100_0581.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp] At this point it doesn't even matter what side you sew, unless your fabric is directional and you want them all facing a certain way, otherwise... just sew one side and press open. By the way, I hurt my thumb, it's not just dirty :|
    Your blocks look like this...
    [attachment=4:3zzawwyp]100_0582.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

2. Place the second 2" Secondary fabric Right sides together on the opposite side of the center 2" square.[attachment=5:3zzawwyp]100_0583.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp] You will have a 5" pieced strip that goes Secondary, Primary, Secondary. Like this...
    [attachment=7:3zzawwyp]100_0585.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
    Your layout looks like this...
    [attachment=6:3zzawwyp]100_0584.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

3. Place 1 - 5" Primary colored fabric strip right sides together along the top of the pieced strip. [attachment=8:3zzawwyp]100_0586.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
    **I'm going to offer up a tip at this point - you are sewing a solid strip along the side of 3 pieced fabrics. This will occasionally give extra stretch to the pieced fabric since no seams are going across them to stabilize it. I would caution you to make your block fit the precut strip instead of stretching the strip to fit the block. You know that the strip is cut the right length so if you find that your pieces are lining up like this... [attachment=11:3zzawwyp]100_0590.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
    Just line up your corners and edges and lay them flat against the sewing machine with a little pressure to ease the block into position with the fabric strip avoiding puckers and folds. And sew through!
    [attachment=12:3zzawwyp]100_0591.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
    Tada! Step three is done.
    [attachment=9:3zzawwyp]100_0587.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

4. Add the second 5" Primary colored strip to the bottom of the pieced center strip. To complete the first row around the center square.
    [attachment=10:3zzawwyp]100_0588.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

5. Continue in the previous manner and add the 5" Secondary colored strip to the side of the pieced block.
    [attachment=13:3zzawwyp]100_0592.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

6. Add the second 5" Secondary colored strip to the opposite side of the pieced block.
    [attachment=14:3zzawwyp]100_0593.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

7. Add the 8" Primary colored strip to the top of the pieced block.
    [attachment=15:3zzawwyp]100_0594.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

8. Add the second 8" Primary colored strip to the bottom of the pieced block.
    [attachment=16:3zzawwyp]100_0595.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

9. Add the 8" Secondary colored strip to the side of the pieced block.
    [attachment=17:3zzawwyp]100_0596.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

10. Add the second 8" Secondary colored strip to the opposite side of the pieced block.
    [attachment=18:3zzawwyp]100_0597.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
    Yay!! It's the last of the Secondary color strips! All that's left is one set of Primary colors! Maybe I'm weird but I love the way this block looks right now too! I may have to do something with rectangles
    [attachment=19:3zzawwyp]100_0598.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

11. Despite how cute your blocks are at the moment go ahead and add the 11" Primary colored strip to the top of the pieced block.
    [attachment=20:3zzawwyp]100_0599.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

12. Aaahh! Here goes add the last set of 11" Primary colored strips to the bottom of the pieced block!
    [attachment=21:3zzawwyp]100_0600.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]
    Look how pretty they are!

You'll now have seven of each block at this stage of the project!
    [attachment=22:3zzawwyp]100_0603.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

You can now start thinking about the layout because in 2 weeks we'll be sashing them!
    [attachment=23:3zzawwyp]100_0604.JPG[/attachment:3zzawwyp]

Leave a comment:

• Natalie
    replied

hey, that's a cool pic! thanks for showing us a sneak preview of how it will come together!

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

Debbie that sounds beautiful! And shell is right! We love to see pics! Here's one of my blocks laid out
    [attachment=0:3f1j9ar5]100_0554.JPG[/attachment:3f1j9ar5]It's not much to look at now but I'm so excited! Just missing the courthouse steps block!

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

Originally posted by dsauntman
    My name is Debbie from Tucson and I am so excited to have found your site! Step by step directions with pictures - jsut what I needed! Today I will be picking out my colors - I have an idea (from my sister) that I will be doing different floral prints (mauve) and for my lights - different shades of whites and off whites - I got this idea from seeing my sister Sandy's beautiful quilt in these colors. Anyway, thanks for being there for those of us that just have to have pictures!
    Welcome Debbie!! Glad you found us and I can't wait to see what you pick for your quilt a long fabrics. We are photo loving quilters....so if you snap some pics be sure to upload them for us to see!!!

Leave a comment:

• dsauntman
    replied

My name is Debbie from Tucson and I am so excited to have found your site! Step by step directions with pictures - jsut what I needed! Today I will be picking out my colors - I have an idea (from my sister) that I will be doing different floral prints (mauve) and for my lights - different shades of whites and off whites - I got this idea from seeing my sister Sandy's beautiful quilt in these colors. Anyway, thanks for being there for those of us that just have to have pictures!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X