Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Log Cabin Quilt-Along Spring 2009!

Originally posted by niki
    I am going to sit out on this one, but I will be watching everyone's progress. If you have one in the Fall, I will probably more likely to join. I don't want to commit and then not be working on my quilt and let everyone down. Shame on me, but I know when the weather starts getting a little warmer I am drawn to working in my garden.
    I understand the feeling! I spent all day yesterday planting daisies and pansies and tomatoes etc. So now I stand at the window and look at my cute little walk... I guess cute is relative here though My yard is entirely rocks and we are starting to work on pulling them back and revealing the hard dirt and clay beneath, yuck! So I did some serious digging and dirt and plant work yesterday, but that only helps me feel like I need a break once every couple of days just to let my body recover!

Anyway, we are planning on going a little slower on this than normal which will make it great for newbies and busys! Or in other words all of us! The other good thing about this is you will not be letting anyone down with this project!! Don't ever think that ladies! If you don't finish on time, so what. It's a great quilt and a great learning experience :P I'm looking forward to having another quilt finished this year!
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

that's a pretty cool diagram! It helps me to know what the blocks will look like when choosing my fabric...(I have already changed my mind about which fabric to use about three times now!) ha I guess we'll just see where I am when the cutting begins! Oh and I am totally looking forward to getting more finished quilts under my belt! LOVE that!

Comment

im in,,,,,,will be great fun to learn the log cabin blocks,,,,,i want to make one of each, lol,,,,,just for practice,,,

thanks for that block post witht he pics,,,,,and great idea to precolor them,,,,

,,im off to look for my fabric,,,,,hummmmmmm, fushia and lime green,,,,,,,,,,,,lolol,,,,,,have a great day ladies,,,,,flo
        ~~~SMILES-ARE-FREE~~~~PLANT DAILY~~~

Comment

I'm in too! I just saw this today but I am already searching Etsy for fabric ideas! Thanks for the diagram. It gives me a little insight into what we're going to do. I'm a novice myself, with only two quilts under my belt. A doll quilt (16in.x19in.) and a 36in. square baby quilt. Looking forward to learning a new block style, or three!

Comment

Hey midnight we're so excited to have you! We're gonna have a great time learning the Log Cabin and variations sounds like your doin' great with your quilts! Can't wait to chat with you as we move along in this new project!

Comment

I just ordered my fabric! I will need to get a light pink solid to go with it, but here it is. http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=15329800 I am so excited to be making a Christmas Quilt! I can't believe we have to cut all of it into little bitty 2 inch strips. That will take me forever, I am sure. But I'm still excited. I wonder if I will have the fabric by Friday? I hope so!

Comment

I love having the template - a huge help in picking the fabrics - which I still need to do...

Comment

Oh wow Midnight! That is going to be so adorable!!!! I love the funky Christmas prints! So fun! I'm thinking I'm actually going to work on 2 quilts I've got a set of new vintage sheets that I'm going to cut up and add some scraps to such as Midwest Modern bits and peices and some other matchers! Umm not fully decided on all of them but
                  I will be soon because cutting info is going up FRIDAY girls!!!! Woohoo! Yeah!

Comment

Could you explain New Vintage? Are they really old, but new to you? Or are they new sheets with a vintage print? I never know what people mean when the say New Vintage...I'm sure different people mean different things though!

Comment

Originally posted by midnight
                      Could you explain New Vintage? Are they really old, but new to you? Or are they new sheets with a vintage print? I never know what people mean when the say New Vintage...I'm sure different people mean different things though!
                      sorry! I was playing with the way the words sounded even as I was typing them... It was the best I could come up with. What I meant is that they are old sheets but they hadn't been used before we got them so they were new to me. So yeah new vintage. When you say new it doesn't give the same feeling but if I said vintage I also prefer to be clear that they aren't old, thread bare, thrift store finds either It's really just nice fabric with a fun print... in sheet form :roll:

How's that?

Comment

Thanks for the explanation!

Yay - We start tomorrow! How many people are participating? I want to see everybody else's fabric too, so get posting quilters

Comment

Can I also join in or is it too late?

Comment

Originally posted by Patcan
                            Can I also join in or is it too late?
                            the beauty of this is that you can jump in at any point. You don't have to start today or tomorrow...the information will be here in this thread for as long as we are working on it and probably longer after we complete our quilts. Whenever you have time to get started feel free to jump in and follow along. Post pictures of your progress, or ask questions whenever you want.

Thanks for joining us and welcome to the forums!!!
                            Michele

Comment

I counted nine people! Still waiting on my fabric though. I hope it arrives tomorrow 8-)

Comment

Fabric Prep

Thanks Shell that's exactly right! You can jump in anytime I love a quilt along! Just grab the button below, share the fun, and start sewing!
                                [attachment=1:l44dca7p]MSQClogcabinquiltalongbutton.jpg[/attachment:l44dca7p]
                                Here's the button code.

So you all know I'm currently finishing up my cutting post it will be up this afternoon. In the meantime I thought I'd give you my fabric prep recommendations and answer a couple of questions.

I always recommend you you prep your fabric for it's intended use some people don't like to pre-wash their fabrics. When my blankets are intended to be used and washed as often are I do pre-wash. I also like to pre-wash for the sake of getting rid of any shrinkage that might occur (You'll still get that great crinkly look when the batting shrinks during the washing of your completed quilt) As well as eliminating any possible color bleeding.
                                [attachment=0:l44dca7p]100_0387.JPG[/attachment:l44dca7p]Before I wash mine I trimmed the edges with pinking shears to help avoid to much fraying. I wash my fabric in a garment bag. One of those little netting bags good for pantyhose and other delicate items. When it's done drying trim the frayed strings and iron. Tada! You're ready to cut & sew!!!

As for questions I was asked about quilt size since it is stated to be a lap quilt but it's approx finished size is 57x70". It is based on the 57x70 size It comes out to a large lap quilt. You will have 20-10.5" finished blocks with 3" sashings if you follow the directions here. Feel free to adjust as necessary people!! If this doesn't fit your needs Change it or mix up your fabrics! That's one of the great things about a quilt along is seeing what everyone comes up with! Just remember that if you increase strip widths or shrink them the strip lengths will change as well. So it's very doable just be ready for some math

The other isn't really a question more of a misunderstanding that I wanted to clear up. This is my list of fabric requirements from the choosing your fabric post
                                Primary Color - 4 shades
                                Dark - 4 FQ of the same fabric or 2 sets of 2 matching FQ
                                Medium Dark - 2 FQ of the same fabric
                                Medium Light - 1 FQ
                                Light - 1 FQ

Secondary Color - 3 shades
                                Dark - 2 FQ of the same fabric
                                Medium - 2 FQ (they don't have to match, just both be of the Medium shade)
                                Light - 1 FQ
                                You do need to make sure that the FQ that say of the same or matching fabrics are the same or a very close match as these pieces will be sharing pieces between blocks and the pieces should be the same for each layer of the block if that makes any sense. I'm trying to keep the FQ used for each layer as separate as possible incase people have ended up with all different fabrics. If you haven't yet please know it is a good idea to get your darkest/ outer row fabric in the same pattern for both color groups. Follow the quoted instructions above on what you need. I feel like the more I talk the more confusing it gets Why don't you just let me know if there is any other question. Follw the instructions above for choosing and prepping fabric and I'll be back in a bit to start cutting!

Comment

Working...
                                X