Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP- February 7-13, 2020

Going to start this week's thread.

The theme last week in sewing room was finish quick UFO projects and handsewing. Clear off & cut up scraps on sewing table. DH had cataract surgery Wednesday so busy with his drops & appts. Mission accomplished.

This week, my plan is to start the quilting of a donation quilt, and cut fabric for a quilt or two to work on at retreat at end of month.

With all this crazy weather, are you ok in your area? What's under your needle? Taking a break or vacation?

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Re: WIP- February 7-13, 2020

I bought three t-shirts yesterday to embroider on so that will be happening. Just finished an organza candle wrap. My first one! It goes around a led candle and my girlfriend fell in love with it.
    https://www.urbanthreads.com/product...ductid=UTZ2836

I have a bolt of muslin so I am going to cut it into foot square pieces and start embroidering quilt blocks. I don't know who needs a quilt so I will put them in a box for now.
    Last edited by LauraP; February 7th, 2020, 10:18 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

I still need to take a trip to H-Lobby to get some fabric for my Frolic border so I have been working on my guild challenge quilt. I too the first section to guild last night as did about 30 others and noticed I had left out a tiny filler strip. Today [or maybe tomorrow] I will pick out the last section, add the strip and reattach the section so it will fit the other sections yet to be made. I am not happy with the directions for this quilt and because of the colors or the printing it is difficult to tell which fabric is in what place. I will figure it out of just do it my own way.

Comment

Saw this thread and thought I’d join in. I have to sew the seams on a sweater for a friend’s young daughter. I have all the parts knit for a teddy bear and need to stuff and sew them together. I also have two out of four raffle quilt blocks to finish hand appliquing. Would love to make a new pincushion. I really need one.

Comment

lots2do, I made a few pincushions last year using my embroidery machine. I used crushed walnut shells for the filling. I bought the crushed walnut shells at a feed supply store, where it is sold as bedding for pet lizards. It was cheap, but 5 pounds goes a long way. I could make dozens more pincushions!

Comment

Laura - love the candle wrap. I can see these would get addictive with all seasons, holidays and themes.
            Lots2do - welcome to the weekly thread. Post pictures of your finishes. Reminds me that I want to make pin cushions with attached scrap bags for me and gifts. Thanks MSN for tip on walnut filling.

Yesterday - after clearing the 10"+ and another 4" of snow, I was feeling antsy. So I headed to sewing room, grabbed some coordinating yardage and cut up for quick, big block quilt. This will give me some space to try out some FMQ. From start to finish in about 5hrs.

image.jpg image.jpg

Comment

Worked up a sweat yesterday trying to get this sandwiched. Finally got it and found I had cut the backing too short! Yes, I measured twice, thrice, etc. and still managed to cut off excess off the wrong side! So, tomorrow will start again. I ordered and received a new 108" wide backing from e-Quilter sale. It's pretty but needs ironing and cut to size.......wish me luck!

The pattern is called Classic Coffee Cake by Cozy Quilts. Love her patterns. They're well written and easy to follow. This one goes together very quickly and it's almost impossible to cut off your points with her method.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
                Worked up a sweat yesterday trying to get this sandwiched. Finally got it and found I had cut the backing too short! Yes, I measured twice, thrice, etc. and still managed to cut off excess off the wrong side! So, tomorrow will start again. I ordered and received a new 108" wide backing from e-Quilter sale. It's pretty but needs ironing and cut to size.......wish me luck!

The pattern is called Classic Coffee Cake by Cozy Quilts. Love her patterns. They're well written and easy to follow. This one goes together very quickly and it's almost impossible to cut off your points with her method.
                It might be best to sandwich the quilt then cut off the excess back.

Comment

Beautiful quilt. Agree with Claire on this.

Comment

I allow at least 3" additional fabric on the top & bottom measurements. I can get by with 2" on the sides. I'm talking a crib size quilt. I've never sandwiched a quilt as large as yours. I don't have enough floor space. I take the large ones to a LAer. She requires at least 6" extra all the way around. I love your quilt fabrics & colors.

Comment

Sharyn, beautiful quilt. Unfortunately, I have made the mistake on backing for my quilts more than once. It's hard to believe my college degree is Accounting and I work with numbers all day long, but when it comes to quilting I occasionally fail in quilt math.

Comment

Working...
                      X