• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • threadbndr
    Batting Beauty
    • Jan 2017

WiP April 12 - 18, 2019

Crazy work is crazy, sorry for the delay.

I am SO looking forward to retirement in a couple of years - just saying.

Not much quilting this week, just plugging away on a couple of hand work things. If I'd just settle at the machine, I know I would make progress, but The Garden is calling my name. It's that time of year. And the upcoming week is Holy Week, so lots going on at church.

How are things in your world?
  • Claire Hallman
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Re: WiP April 12 - 18, 2019

Things are great, you will love being retired.
    I have been spending a little time in my sewing room, working on a 30's carpenter star made from a zillion 2 1/2" hst. I also just got a feather border stencil and did my best feathers ever. I am going to get a few more of those stencils, that is so much easier for me than attempting ruler work on my sit down quilter.
    Sewing has taken a step back due to spring chores around here and one of the potties decided to self destruct yesterday so a Lowe's trip is in order today. I always enjoy a trip to Lowe's.
    Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• cv quilter
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

Claire, where did you get your feather stencil? I would love to get some and try really concentrating on getting better. Do you use the pounce to mark or do you trace mark with a chalk pencil type marker?
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

Only two more boxes left to unpack!

Here is what my sewing room looked like two weeks ago
        100_4927.JPG

Here is what it looks like today.
        100_4930.JPG100_4931.JPG

I got the first two quilts hung for decoration (lots of storage behind the quilts.) The sheer curtains are up for at least an illusion of some privacy, and everything is bolted to the walls. Yes that is my personal fabric stash. Please see my by line below my name. I love my fabric. I need my fabric. I will be hanging another quilt that will cover all my stash so it is less distracting. I have to add new hanging sleeves on two quilts I selected to go there. They will be switched out seasonally. There is room to add a fourth quilt on the wall by the door. And there is room for my cutting table which I haven't put up yet.

Well worth the work.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

Here is the company I got the stencil from, I had bought but not used the pounce pads until now.https://fulllinestencil.com/?_vsrefd...BoCzRQQAvD_BwE

Wow on that sewing room, stash and hard work you put in to make it great, Denise.

Comment

• Caroline T.
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2016

Denise, your stash wall is a work of art in itself. So pretty to look at.

Comment

• KarenC
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2015

Claire, thanks for that link. Denise your room is beautiful, and your stash wall is beautiful. I don't know that I'd want to hide it.
              Karen
              Spring, TX

Comment

• cv quilter
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2015

Claire, THANK YOU. Stencil shopping today or tomorrow

DENISE! Oh My, what a gorgeous sewing room! It's wonderful. LOVE that stash. You have sew much room to create in.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

I want to order more and more but am going to wait until I really need one since the wish list price can add up quickly.
                  Here is the border I did with my first stencil. I was pleased at how easily it stitched and how even my stitches turned out without a stitch regulator. IMG_0687.JPG
                  Last edited by Claire Hallman; April 13, 2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• cv quilter
                    Missouri Star
                    • Feb 2015

That's beautiful, Claire. I hope I can do that on my Tiara with the help of a stencil. Which chalk do you use??? The iron off or the brush/wash off? I'm thinking of the iron off

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                      Missouri Star
                      • Aug 2015

Denise - Beautiful set up. I am certain your room will be very inspiring.
                      Claire - beautiful feathers. I think this might be worth a try for me. I just can't get the FMQ feathers.
                      Threadndr - you will enjoy retirement.

It's been a busy week and a repeat this week until Easter. Last night we went to dinner with friends to celebrate GF 60th birthday. One of the guys retired 2 weeks ago. He was still walking on air. We warned him that he now would be busier than ever. Today I went shopping in a lovely village with GFs and I picked up 2 cards for a quilt shop hop. Last year I won a $100 gift certificate. It was a beautiful warm day.

I want to sew but too many appts last week & next week including getting my winter tires off, DH eye and dental appt. hopefully after Easter, I can get back to a routine. I have to get my GS quilt back pieced and finished.
                      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
                        That's beautiful, Claire. I hope I can do that on my Tiara with the help of a stencil. Which chalk do you use??? The iron off or the brush/wash off? I'm thinking of the iron off
                        I bought both the iron off white and the brush off blue the first time I went to Paducah and hadn't used either one. This time I used the white and it did come off easily. I am a bit scared of the blue since if you iron over it, you can't get it off. I will be very cautious when I use it.

Comment

• threadbndr
                          Batting Beauty
                          • Jan 2017

Wow, Denise, that's a beautiful room.
                          And Claire - pretty feathers!

Comment

• jjkaiser
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2013

Claire, your feathers are beautiful! I love feathers on a border. But I am feeling stupid here, what is a stitch regulator? Is it built into your machine or a stand alone attachment? What's the difference between that and just adjusting your stitch length? Wow, Denise that is one cool sewing studio you have! You are unbelievably organized considering you just moved in! Does it stay neat and orderly like that when you are making something? Lol. I would love a nice big room like that.
                            Jocelyn
                            South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                              I am feeling stupid here, what is a stitch regulator? Is it built into your machine or a stand alone attachment? What's the difference between that and just adjusting your stitch length?
                              Some sit down long arm machines have stitch regulators that control how many stitches are done based on the speed of your hand movement. This was done by free motion following a chalk marked stencil design.
                              Never feel stupid about something you haven't ever heard about.

Comment

Working...
                              X