WIP - 1/11/17 - The Rules of Quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIP - 1/11/17 - The Rules of Quilting

This week I haven't spent much time in my sewing room. At the moment I am making over large bunting for the church school room as Christmas decoration - nothing like getting ahead. I added interfacing to the fabric strips before cutting into flag shapes. I have taken heat n bond and added it to plain red fabric before drawing round plastic letter templates. I have cut them out and ironed to the flags. The message will read Happy Christmas.
    I have also been knitting a pram sized blanket for our maternity unit.
    Tomorrow is my last day at work then 3 days off so will get on and finish the bunting.
    I also finished my January UFO which I am pleased about.

Comment

Whew. Had an eye exam today and it gave me eye strain, I think. All I did tonight was tear out two Rhodes hearts that I had sewed correctly--but in the wrong place! I just running-stitched a grid on the linen so I can't screw up the positioning again (hopefully). Man will I be glad when these are done. Just being one thread off screws it all up. This is my first time working with silk thread. It is definitely shinier than cotton. I didn't pay full price for it and I'm not sure yet if it is worth it...I'm looking forward to what silk ribbon is like. I've only messed around with cheap satin ribbon from Jo-Ann's. I ordered a light box so that will help with the applique tracing when I get back to that project.

Comment

It is working. My continuous wishbone squared spiral is working. I did not know if I could stuff it through my DSM, but it is going really well. I had to improvise turning the corners, but it looks okay.
        100_3173.jpg
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Love your FMQon this one! I really like the pattern too. Do you know the name of it or have the link? Your quilt looks awesome.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
            Love your FMQon this one! I really like the pattern too. Do you know the name of it or have the link? Your quilt looks awesome.
            This is the Jazz pattern from the book All About Strips. It is on the cover of the book. It has a couple of nice patterns in the book. The strips are not necessarily jelly rolls or 2.5" width.

https://www.amazon.com/All-About-Str...ips+quilt+book
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
              AMG - I had the same issue. It took a friend on Facebook to give me the incentive to start using it! I find the instructions from the company hard to understand, and, for the most part, not very accurate! There are several Facebook groups devoted to this appliance. My favorite site for recipes is: http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/e...t-pot-recipes/ I used their instructions for rice and it turns out wonderfully.
              All my FB friends are why I bought mine, lol. One of my friends is a chef and she posts the most amazing stuff. I really should take the thing out of the box & give it a whirl.

Comment

I made my decision and finally sewed my units together, so I have all the En Provence blocks and sashing pieces ready to attempt assembling tomorrow. Then I'll need to do some math to figure out how many neutral patches I need to add to the border, as I am going for a smaller version than Bonnie Hunter's.
                It is not that I am really pleased with my yellow fabrics, but I am trying to think "finished is better than perfect".

Comment

Fall and Derby Hat Bonus Blocks.jpg
                  I've been playing catch up with my SPlendid Sampler blocks. This month I'm basically doing just blocks but as long as I'm having fun I'm okay with that
                  My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

I finished binding my scrap quilt , washed and on the bed. I don't know why I am drawn to scrap quilts at the moment. I am sitting here wondering what to make next. I have 3 quilt tops complete I need to quilt. Not sure if I want to start another project or finish up what I have started and I like to clean my sewing room up after a project I probably should do that.
                    Teresa
                    Pelham, Alabama
                    War Eagle!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TMP View Post
                      I finished binding my scrap quilt , washed and on the bed. I don't know why I am drawn to scrap quilts at the moment. I am sitting here wondering what to make next. I have 3 quilt tops complete I need to quilt. Not sure if I want to start another project or finish up what I have started and I like to clean my sewing room up after a project I probably should do that.
                      I'm always daydreaming of at least 2 or 3 or 10 new projects while I'm finishing up one... I love a tidy sewing room too.

Comment

Originally posted by Juliet Taylor View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]139080[/ATTACH]
                        I've been playing catch up with my SPlendid Sampler blocks. This month I'm basically doing just blocks but as long as I'm having fun I'm okay with that
                        Very cute!!

Comment

I usually have 2 or 3 or 12 projects in mind that I want to make too!

Here are the fabrics for my next project. This one will be for a friend. So what do you'll think....does it look like I have enough fabrics & different values to make a half square triangle quilt like the one Jenny's tutorial? I would also use the two grays in the background & maybe a few other FQ's of gray that I forgot to put in the picture.

P1013047.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQWb9bk6moM
                          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Comment

I usually have 2 or 3 or 12 projects in mind that I want to make too!

Here are the fabrics for my next project. This one will be for a friend. So what do you'll think....does it look like I have enough fabrics & different values to make a half square triangle quilt like the one Jenny's tutorial? I would also use the two grays in the background & maybe a few other FQ's of gray that I forgot to put in the picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]139094[/ATTACH]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQWb9bk6moM
                            I really like your choice of fabrics , colors , and pattern. I for sure want to make a yellow and gray quilt.
                            I am trying to finish up a purse for granddaughter, when I get tired of it I have been making a tote bag and then when I get bored with that I have quilt I am putting the borders on. I always jump around doing things like that , I wish I wasn't like that! ☹️

Comment

Anita, sometimes I think it helps to have more than one project going at a time. If you get bored with one you have another one ready to work on.

Comment

Anita, sometimes I think it helps to have more than one project going at a time. If you get bored with one you have another one ready to work on.
                                Thanks!! Sometimes I think I might be AD. But I do like jumping to one thing then another!

Comment

Working...
                                X