Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm Girl Vintage Sew-a-Long starts MONDAY, January 2 (Reminder)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Girl Vintage Sew-a-Long starts MONDAY, January 2 (Reminder)

Ready, Set, and (almost) Go!

This is a reminder that the sew-a-long starts Monday. We are 35 members strong and are welcoming new members to the group!

Grab your Farm Girl Vintage book by Lori Holt, your fabrics (or scraps), and join the fun!

I can't wait to see all of our creations. For those of you who already started, thanks for sharing your blocks. They will certainly be inspiration to those of us next week.

Have a "sew" very Happy New Year!

IMG_1816.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg

Re: Farm Girl Vintage Sew-a-Long starts MONDAY, January 2 (Reminder)

I started this quilt last summer. It will be a king size quilt made using the 12inch blocks. I loved working on it, but discovered during the school year (I teach), I need projects where I don't have to think so hard . Here are some of the blocks I have finished so far. http://

Comment

That is so inspiring! I can't even find a block I like more, they are all so adorable. I am so looking forward to seeing more block pictures. I am really bad at coordinating fabric colors for a block.

Comment

Whimpysue, that's adorable!

Comment

@sweetpie... I am with you, so color challenged I am. I tried my hand at making an old block more user friendly with new short cuts with precuts and well.......... my math sucked! Back to looking for a pattern with out too many points and too much thinking on my part. I think maybe the "zipper" might be a good one to get my material mojo back with.

Comment

I've gotten some of my fabric and plan on getting started this weekend. I know I'm going to struggle keeping up with this so if I can get several done this weekend, I'll be excited!
            Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lori.....please share your blocks. I read online that folks struggle with the Baking Day block so I tested it out. My blocks did come out a tad shy of 6.5" square so I'll either need to make another one paying closer attention to my cutting, sewing, and pressing or account for the difference with the sashing. image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by KaylaWalker View Post
                Lori.....please share your blocks. I read online that folks struggle with the Baking Day block so I tested it out. My blocks did come out a tad shy of 6.5" square so I'll either need to make another one paying closer attention to my cutting, sewing, and pressing or account for the difference with the sashing. [ATTACH=CONFIG]138474[/ATTACH]
                I'm in a lori holt facebook group, and many of the ladies say to use a "scant" 1/4 inch seam. I use a generous 1/4 inch seam so my blocks are around 11 3/4 square. I figure as long as my blocks are all the same size, I'm golden.

Comment

I just ordered fabrics today so will be late to the party but can't wait to catch up with everyone! Thanks again for coordinating the sew-a-long.

Thanks for the update to use a "scant".

Comment

Okay, I'm trying to figure out if I want to make 6-inch blocks or 12-inch blocks. Has anyone made the 6-inch blocks before? I'm a newer quilter and I'm worried the 6-inch blocks might be too fiddly.
                    Tammy W.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaThyme View Post
                      Okay, I'm trying to figure out if I want to make 6-inch blocks or 12-inch blocks. Has anyone made the 6-inch blocks before? I'm a newer quilter and I'm worried the 6-inch blocks might be too fiddly.
                      I have only been quilting for a year, I am doing the Splendid Sampler and they had 6 inch blocks and learned so much from the people there that I almost find 6 inch blocks easier since I have a small sewing space. I do use starch and really watch my scant quarter inch but I really like them. I can use up more scraps. I plan on doing both 12 and 6 inch blocks as shown on the inside back cover of her book.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetiepie View Post
                        I have only been quilting for a year, I am doing the Splendid Sampler and they had 6 inch blocks and learned so much from the people there that I almost find 6 inch blocks easier since I have a small sewing space. I do use starch and really watch my scant quarter inch but I really like them. I can use up more scraps. I plan on doing both 12 and 6 inch blocks as shown on the inside back cover of her book.
                        I think I'll start out trying the 6 inch blocks and see how it goes. Thanks for your reply and the tip on using starch.
                        Tammy W.

Comment

I love the smaller blocks. I find they are actually easier to work with, but if nothing else.....it's a great skill builder.

Comment

I joined a group on this site called Farm Girl Vintage, but it appears to be a year old. Where is this new quilt-along found? (or is it this conversation right here?)

Comment

I have my fabric I just need to get started! I've been doing a lot of knitting this last couple months and sewed some dolly clothes. Will be nice to make some quilt blocks. I'm not sure if I will be able to cut into my cute layer cake! Lol

Terri

Comment

Working...
                              X