WIP - 12/28/16 - As we move forward ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 12/28/16 - As we move forward ...

This is the last thread for 2016! And, as we are moving forward to 2017, I have a question for you about this weekly thread. Would you prefer it to start on another day? Let me know your thoughts on this.

On another note - remember that there is a new UFO group starting for 2017. It is "The Fantastic Finishing Group". If you have some unfinished projects, this group might motivate you to get them finished.

And, this week, I am working on finishing some Christmas/Hanukkah presents. Some times I think my motto should be "A day late and a dollar short!"

What are YOU working on this week?
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 12/28/16 - As we move forward ...

Sylvia, I like reading your weekly thread in the middle of the week.

We have Jenny on Friday, and Rob on Mondays, and of course our morning good mornings from Monique, so your weekly post in the middle of the week, helps me to look forward and plan for the weekend, which is my most productive time.

I'm getting a jump start on my 2017 UFO Group challenge, and hopefully this weekend I'll get the Friendship Braid quilt finished. I had to rip out a bunch of quilting (fmq) on it last night. I think my hands were moving the quilt faster than my foot was pressing on the pedal.

But that's OK, because it shows that I've finally gotten to the point where I have raised the bar on my expectations of my own work. I don't need it to be spectacular yet, or even close to perfect, but I know my skills have improved over the past year, so my finished work should reflect that. And I feel good about that!

Comment

Hello out there! I'm still here, just not hanging out on the internets much these days ....

I haven't made much progress since I was last here, my fledgling wall hanging is still patiently awaiting my attention. I managed to make my daughter a rather cute hat and some Christmas stockings, then my husband gave me a serger for Christmas which is amazing I finally got Thread for her yesterday and had it up and running today. I still have a big learning curve but it is fun.

My son, whom never makes requests, asked me to make him a dragon vest, so I'm going to try to do that this week. Im also working on costumes for the school musical, I have 5 crow hats and 4 sets of monkey wings and vests that I want to make before school starts up again. (Wizard of Oz, I will also make Tinman and Dorothy but need measurements... And for the director to decide which girl will really play Dorothy!) If I'm lucky that will also leave me with enough time for my sad little wall hanging, and a few other projects I have in mind... A quilted tote bag, a fall wall hanging I never quilted, and I need some new underpants, I made myself a few pair this summer and that's all I wear! I need more!

As for the thread, I liked when it started on Tuesdays, but I'm not so good at coming by daily anymore, so don't leave it up to me. I'm just glad to have a place to talk about projects and keep myself accountable, and I'm thankful that you are all patient with me despite the fact that half of what I make is garments and not even quilts! I also love watching everyone's projects evolve.

I should join the UFO group, I was in one 2 years ago, but never joined last year. I was a bit underwhelmed by how inactive it was, I need a steady flow of activity to keep me on track!! Maybe it will be different this year.

Comment

I've not been active on this thread much, but hope to be next year. I have several WIP's I'm going to be working on. I've joined the Farm Girl Vintage sew along, I think I'll have one block a week to complete. We'll see how long I can keep up with that!
        Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

I only occasionally visit the thread
          I don't mind it starting any day of the week. I love seeing everybody's progresses, even if I haven't been able to sew myself for a while. Thanks for your patience and generosity.

Comment

I'm a newbie here, but I love reading this thread every week & I do try to post on it regularly. Wednesdays are great, as Caroline pointed out, as it falls repather in the middle

I'm kind of proud of me this week - I made a cover for my heating pad to replace the way-too-big zippered pillowcase I'd been using for it. I measured carefully and it came out near perfect - The zipper went in great, and when I sewed up the sides I was absolutely tickled that my quilting lines matched up nearly perfectly! ! It may be a humble little quilted cover, but dang if it's not some of the best sewing I've ever done, lol.

Now I'm working on some long-neglected placemats that I cut out a year ago. I didn't like how the first one turned out so I set it aside till I coukd figure out hoe to do it better. The pad cover success gave me the confidence to quikt the placemats and, although it's taken me the better part of two days to make 6 of them, they're turning out pretty well.

Comment

I like Wednesday as the start day. It brightens up the middle of the week. I am still working on quilting my periwinkle quilt. I will probably finish quilting tomorrow and start binding.
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I'll be happy with what ever day you choose. Sylvia, you're doing a great job keeping this thread going and if you get too busy occasionally one of us will jump in and start the thread.

I also like seeing everyone's progress. It also helps keep me on track and feeling accountable. It's fun getting encouragement and feedback as we work on & post about our projects.

Well, I have to say.......Yay me! I finished my nieces quilt yesterday afternoon. Thank goodness I had a few extra days to work on it. She will open it tomorrow night when our family gets together for our delayed Christmas. I will post pictures after that.....not taking a chance on her seeing it before she opens it.

It feels great to be finished with the Grinch quilt and my nieces quilt. Now to focus on what I want to make for the new year. I'm glad I finished the Grinch early when it was a little colder. The temps have been in the 70's and humid this week.

I'n not sure if I'm joining the UFO group yet. I think I only have 4 with one of those still being a WIP. I did join a UFO group in our local guild to help keep me on track..

Hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year!
                "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I really like your post. And I would definitely like you to keep doing it!
                  I am working on the binding tool star quilt for granddaughter, I am actually doing the same colors that is in the block magazine , she loves blues and turquoise. I also am working on 2 different Christmas tree kits I got on clearance from connecting thread, so will have them done for next year! one of them I am not thrilled about fabric , it looks very Victorian .
                  I enjoy your post

Comment

Wednesday is a good day for me. 2016 was such a busy year that I didn't have much time to sew until the latter part but am hoping that will change in 2017.
                    I have lots of UFO's to finish so have joined the group but need to keep focused and your thread will help me.

Comment

I have not been in my sewing room in a week or so and then just for an hour or two. I am missing it but it will probably be next week before I get back.
                      I need to take down the rest of the Christmas decorations, hopefully later today.
                      I got a ruler foot and two rulers for Christmas and need to get something finished so I can sandwich and play with them. Excited but trepidatious about trying them.

Comment

I'm happy with whatever day you want to start the thread, Sylvia...and looking forward to the UFO finishing club to start.

Right now the northwest wind is roaring so I will disappear back into my sewing room on the southeast side of the house. I have two trees sewn down but they are decorated with a lot of circles that I need to zigzag around.

Comment

I'm also happy with whatever day you want to start the thread I don't come daily but usually I try to give at least a look at the previous pages

I'm so glad I was able to make all my Christmas gifts on time! So yesterday I did something for me!

1.jpg

Block 1 of the Solstice Challenge by Pat Sloan. Maybe I will finally make a quilt for my bed
                          My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

I have been visualizing a change in the Village quilt pattern that I'm working on. I'm not good at spatial relations so it is a chore to measure and lay fabric out. I think I've basically decided to add an extra blue border on the bottom to put fish in. I'm combining the ideas from two of the designer's patterns. She does a lot of cool applique. I'm also leaning toward appliqueing the houses instead of piecing them.

I hope this link to the fish works. The pond and fish are part of the Pandemonium quilt.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TKatIgqRy-...untain+(3).jpg

I did some tracing and fabric selection for the final two tree blocks. And I did a ton of fabric selection for the jungle animals. There's a lot of fabric to apply Mistyfuse to but my brain isn't sharp enough to do that tonight.

Comment

I finished quilting the Bordered Periwinkle quilt and posted it in Show & Tell. I was able to use the black binding I had made for my Jane Sassaman quilt when that quilt insisted it wanted purple striped binding instead. I have started FMQ a Laurel Burch Christmas panel. When it is done I will be hanging it to hide a very messy portion of my fabric storage area.

100_3154.JPG
                              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Working...
                              X