WIP - 12/14/16 - Mid December?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 12/14/16 - Mid December?

Oh wow! One day away from the middle of this month, and only weeks away from a new year! No matter what we do - or don't do - time moves on.

I finally took a picture of my Christmas table runner. Here it is: http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=67411

I have two more placemats to bind, and then they will be finished as well. I'll get that done tomorrow!

I know some of you are still working on gifts, and others have closed their sewing room until 2017. What are you doing this week?
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 12/14/16 - Mid December?

I plan to get back to my nieces quilt tomorrow. We will get together with them a few days after Christmas... So I have a few extra days if I need them.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Almost there, I have 3 quilt labels to do and have to finish stitching out the hat to my sister's free standing applique snowman. The snowman has been a time consuming project (15 hours to stitch out the 18 pieces) but she's had a rough year and loves snowmen so I know this will bring her some joy.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Here is my list to be done before Christmas:

Finish quilting (almost done quilting) a bargello, then bind it.
        Sandwich, quilt and bind a jelly roll quilt
        Bind a crib sized quilt
        Finish sewing together a rag quilt, plus snip and wash it.
        Embroider a set of towels.

I do have all day Saturday to sew and I have next Thursday and Friday off work, so there is hope. My youngest daughter likes to sew bindings so she has offered to help when she's done with finals tomorrow.
        Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have an tea towel apron to make, finish binding a arrow quilt and make a label. Hopefully pickup sewing room so I can start working on other project. I may try to make a few more casserole carriers also.

Comment

The only gift I am sewing is hand embroidery of some handkerchiefs for my husband. In the corners I'm sewing little representations things he likes. I have done about eight but I'm not sure how to portray math or Latin. Maybe just books!

Other than that I am still plugging along on the Village applique. I have four squiggly leaves sewn and five to go. I also picked out the fabrics for another tree. Picking out the fabrics is the part I really enjoy.

Comment

I had fun doing some narrow zig zagging tonight with invisible thread in the "smoke" color on black ribbons. I have six more trees to do. I got the MistyFuse ironed onto the scraps I will use for the next block. It has a lot of bells on it. Looks kinda like a Datura to me...
              https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473792823273832123/

Is anybody else still sewing this week?

Comment

I finished my Jane Sassaman version of the Tier Soup pattern and posted it in Show & Tell. I pieced the back for my Tula PInk version of the Tier Soup pattern. I found some deer fabric that seemed to match Tula Pinks deer fabric.
                100_3129.jpg100_3130.jpg

I have always liked pieced backings, but when I first started to do them I was getting distortions that caused tucks and ripples in the back of my quilt top when I quilted it. I have since learned that if I lay all my pieces out flat on the floor and use wonder clips to attach the edges approximately every three inches (instead of pins) that I can make these big pieced backs with no distortions. It is a great way to use up scraps.
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Denise, do you rip or do you cut your fabrics for those pieced backings? I had seen a video where they recommended tearing the fabric to get real straight of weave, but it didn't work for me when I tried.

Comment

I'm still hoping to get back to sewing maybe tomorrow evening. Have 1 to finish quilting and another to sandwich and SITD for DGS as an extra gift!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lourixe View Post
                      Denise, do you rip or do you cut your fabrics for those pieced backings? I had seen a video where they recommended tearing the fabric to get real straight of weave, but it didn't work for me when I tried.
                      I iron the whole 45" width of the fabric, using either water or Best Press as necessary to remove all the wrinkles, especially that darn crease up the middle of the fabric, fan fold the fabric lengthwise, then cut.

I have tried ripping to get "real straight of weave". It resulted in a damaged distorted mess. I am sure it was the straight of weave when it was woven, but by the time it is died, run through the rollers and wrapped on the bolt the fabric is bound to get distorted.
                      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I finally finished the place mats to coordinate with my table runner. I'm very happy with the results. This is a great project for a jelly roll.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...753#post926753
                        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I have 2 more gift bags to sew today & then everything gets mailed off! Most are going to places in state, so I'm hoping they get there by Saturday! THEN I'm coming back home to try to undo all the chaos in my sewing room, lol

Comment

I have two identical table runners to finish (almost done quilting) that I need to have done by Dec. 25 and then a quick and easy panel quilt (not started yet) hoping to donate to a charity by Dec. 31. My sewing room will not be shutting down for the holidays!
                            Last edited by MNnancy; December 20, 2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Thank you for answering so quickly and detailed info, Denise!
                              I really need to start quilting all those finished tops I've been accumulating. My purpose for the next weeks is to get appropiate backings.

Comment

Working...
                              X