Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP - 12/7/16 - Quilters don't make mistakes ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 12/7/16 - Quilters don't make mistakes ...

15319072_1315681231786711_2493191544566139218_n.jpg

We have so many great quilters on this site - and they always share their variations with us.

I am making some Christmasy things for my kitchen table. I completed a zig-zag table runner, and now I am working on placemats. The placemats are from a jelly roll that has the same colors as the table runner. It will be fun to have all new pretty things for Christmas dinner.

I saw so many lovely things being worked on last week - what is everyone doing this week?
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 12/7/16 - Quilters don't make mistakes ...

Organizing is about all I can do right now.
    My poor Gunther is waiting for a part on order, and until that comes in I'm at a stand still in my current quilting projects. Have several tops waiting to be quilted (one in progress) for Christmas presents.

Have cleaned out most of my scrap bin, cutting them down to 5" squares, and 2 1/2" strips, but with Gunther out of commission, I just don't have the heart to break out one of my backup machines and start another top. Gunther tends to get jealous when I let the other machines do what he normally can do (and do better), and is only reluctantly tolerant if I use the other machines for decorative stitching or embroidery.

Ok, I've just reread what I wrote, and have to ask, while I know many of us name our machines, but does anyone else give them personalities too? Or am I the only nut?

Comment

So Far, I have put away Big Bertha (Janome); Pearl (1901 singer treadle) & Sally, the clunker (C500 singer).. left out Sarah, 9960 singer, for repairs and emergencies. Yes, Caroline, mine all have personalities as well as recue stories. Esp that Serger ,Susie, who is still grieving for her lost closet home. She isn't very sociable.

I clear out and put away everything in the front sewing room to house the Christmas tree and presents. The actual Front room is wall to wall seating with a huge TV.. I don't mind giving up my sewing area for the holidays as it gives me time to un wind and a goal to finish everything early. AND organize my stash... LOL. I better do that this year. Or next...??

So Now I can finish making my cards and packaging goodies to mail out this year... no fabric staring at me accusingly .
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

Not only do our machines pout, the fabric stares accusingly. Not to worry, my vacuum is suffering from separation anxiety. And the furniture thinks its layer of dust is a snuggly winter coat.

Comment

I had forgotten the thrill of FMQ when it's going smoothly and the complete aggravation when it's going wrong....wrong....wrong.

I am so out of practice with FMQ I decided just to do Loop De Loop design. The design looks cute with the Grinch fabrics. Last night I had to stop FMQ'ing because I was to the point of griping at my machine in pirate talk! Every few inches the thread would get caught on the foot and mess up the stitching.

Well......back to FMQing. I REALLY want to finish it today............I hope..........if I don't break any more needles........and my back doesn't get too tired........YES.........I can do this..........I will finish today...............unless there are too many skipped stitches......but I CAN do this......I only have a little over one fourth of the quilt left to quilt and then binding.

Wish me luck!
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I lost a hand embroidery needle last night so we were searching the floors for it...I finally found it today. It had fallen in the trash bag next to my chair. Whew. After that I went back to working on zig zagging around an applique tree. I gave up when my feet started hurting (I stand up to sew). This tree's leaves are particularly curvy swervy. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473792823273832221/

Comment

The weather has finally cooled off enough for me to switch from piecing quilt tops to quilting them on my domestic sewing machine. I hauled my cut up dining room table out of the garage and reconfigured my quilting room. A big shout out to Jill McDaniel for sharing her tip for DIY Pinmoor alternatives made out of cut up flip flops. I tried them using flat head flower pins on a FQ I was free motion quilting. They worked great. The foam is so dense they really stuck to the pins. In fact they did so good that I am using them with my basting safety pins on this lap size quilt which is 52" x 64". I have been cramming it through the 7.5" harp on my sewing machine and they are holding on really well. This is my first quilt top where I am using black batting. So far I am liking the black batting with a dark background quilt.
              100_3076.JPG
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Arrgggghhhhh! I broke another needle so I'm taking a break! Would it look weird to leave the top right hand corner unquilted?? It could be my artistic interpretation.
                "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Comment

I cut out zippered bags today. I need at least 4 more, 6 would be better. I'm trying to find enough large pieces in the stash pile to make them from for the GD. I'd love to have time to make some for some casual girlfriends that I do restaurant shopping with, but time will tell. I went out the hobby lobby to use the gift cert. They really didn't have very good fabric choices. I ended up with 10 yds of white muslin for backing and 6 yds of kona cotton white for backgrounds. I'm certain I can use that. I'll probably use the rest of the certificate by on line purchase. Its 70 miles out there and 70 miles back and that is very time consuming in the traffic. THe store was pretty amazing though...just nothing I really needed.
                  Going back to work tomorrow and then I can sew again next week. Might get the quilt I pieced this week sandwiched and ready to FMQ.
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

I'm pulling my hair out.....should be bald soon!
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I don't know what is wrong with me . I don't want to sew and I don't want to decorate the house and I certainly don't want to shop. I have to get out of this rut and get shopping and decorating done. Took us two days , yep two days to put up one tree. Today we drug the rest of it down from the attic, living room is a horrible mess. By this time in December I usually have all the shopping done and the house decorated. I am just thankful I finished the two quilts I am giving earlier this year.

Comment

I almost pulled my hair out too! But guess what...........wait for it..............I HAVE FINISHED QUILTING THE GRINCH!!!!!

OMG..........I don't know how many times I had to stop because of huge skipped stitches........cut the thread and start again. Sometimes it was skipping every few inches! I stopped and cleaned the fuzz and lint out quite a few times.

I told my DH before he went to bed....."It's now a battle of wills.........me against the machine! The machine almost won and I almost ended up on the floor kicking and screaming. I would like to tell you that I was not muttering under my breath but that's not true.

Soo Yay........Hay..........Hooray! The quilting is done. Just have to put the binding on and that will be done by machine. Not going to attempt it tonight........too tired and expecting to make plenty of mistakes if I try.

Hope to take pictures tomorrow if it's not raining. I can't believe I'm almost finished with it! WooHoo!

Comment

Congratulations, PCBatiks!

Comment

Hail to the conquering hero PCBatiks! Hip hip hooray - been there myself.

Comment

I've had to set aside sewing to work on my Christmas letter & cards. I finished the letter yest., but I need to print >100 copies yet. I still need to do a page of pictures of the family, GS's wedding in Sept, new GD's GGS #2 in Oct., etc. It takes time. I've had to do some organizing of pics on my laptop--select from e-mails, download, etc. for easier access. When my GD sends pics of the baby, they come through so huge! I forward them to my son, then he sends them back in an easier format which is more readily accessible. I did finish the FMQ & binding on a Christmas table runner, but I haven't taken pics of it yet. I'll post those later. My order of curved rulers came this week. I'm looking forward to playing around with those.

Comment

Working...
                              X