Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP - 10/12/16 - Quilting is my retirement plan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 10/12/16 - Quilting is my retirement plan!

I didn't give quilting a thought before I was forced to retire. But, early on, I realized I had to find something to fill my days, while being within the parameters of some physical and emotional problems I was dealing with at the time. I am very happy my sister suggested I go with her to a LQS. It just took that one trip to convince me that I should learn more about this craft. My sister and I took our first quilting class, went on our first shop hop, and we were hooked! That was six years ago.

Now, I am on a mission to make as many quilts as possible! I am still working on a bed quilt for myself. I hope to have the quilting finished by this time next week - maybe even bound! I am looking forward to getting it on my bed.

What are your working on this week? Please share with us.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 10/12/16 - Quilting is my retirement plan!

Hi Sylvia - I'm retiring at the end of year and looking forward to have more quilting time. I'm working on a quilt I started at the forum retreat. Just need to finish quilting the borders and then bind. I've done more FMQ on this quilt than any other quilt I have done. I'll post a pic when I get it done - hopefully in a day or two.
    ***Kathy***

Comment

I am trying to finish up the FMQ on a Christmas quilt to hang from a rack in my house during the holidays. I sandwiched a quilt to replace it on the rack after Christmas. I really want theses done before Thanksgiving and just maybe I will get them done.

Comment

Quilting will definitely be a big part of my retirement (if I ever retire). I'm working on a bed quilt for myself. I have all the blocks done but it's going to have to go on hold while I work on a quilt for a lady at work who is retiring.
        Patrice S

Comment

I'm currently working on the "Prairie Flower" pattern. I have 4 blocks finished. I'm squaring them to 13.75". I'm using Eleanor Burns' "Forever Love" fabrics. It's a LOT of snowballing, which slows down the process, since I'm a very precise sewer. I took up quilting when I retired in Oct. 2009. Hard to believe it's already been 7 yrs. I just wish I had more time to devote to piecing & quilting. I'm lucky if I can find 1 hr. a day.

Comment

I'm still working on the free standing snowman in bits and pieces and sewing some items for an upcoming craft fair. I was sitting on the fence whether to do it or not but my friend will do it with me and she has quite a few purses made so I won't have to have a load of things to make.
            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I am working on the All Wrapped Up quilt from one of the Block magazines, going pretty quick but not sure that I am loving it and even more worried that my daughter in law might not love it, using scraps from my Christmas tubs. Next will be a panel quilt for grandson.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                I really want theses done.
                Well that should read these not theses but anyway......

The Christmas quilt is finished and in the washer, hooray. Next I will figure out how to quilt the other one. I did pick out the colors to use so I am ready to go tomorrow or Friday.

Comment

I have been working on Winters Song for months and miss my trade mark bright bold colors. I am so happy to pull out my batiks for this jelly roll quilt. The pattern is Peeking Points by Cozy Quilt Designs. Everything is cut and I am ready to start sewing.
                  PeekingPoints 001.JPG
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

my job this week is to finish two quilts baby I just have to join the back and the front also want to finish a dress and a cardigan for the DGD of myBelorussian friend, who has had a DGD after two GGK and I asked what you want us to do and asked me a dress for when the girl make a year, I hope you like what I have done, I hope to finish all to think about some different job for next weekaa Liúbochka.jpgaa. Liúbochka.jpgAA.Liubochka.jpg

Comment

I have been scattered in every direction this week. I'm working on the monotone king size alter ego quilt, I made a baby quilt top to send to the hospital but haven't backed it, I'm working on zippered bags for Christmas presents, I need to get some bolts of fabric for DD birthday present next week, I'm working on the menu for 40 people for Saturday for an all you can eat buffet, and I've been cutting up scraps that I bought from someone that I'm sure I will find useful in the months to come. I just wish I could retire. I'm really tired of working
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

I just retired at the end of August and then had the blasted rotator cuff surgery. I'm not fully recovered but I can at least sew again! I'm trying to finish up a quilt with the Colorado block for my granddaughter. Now that all my family thinks I have so much "free" time, I'm getting quilt orders - as well as babysitting requests! So much for thinking I'd give my house a good cleaning! I'd rather sew anyway!! It's all better than working!! I'm loving it!!
                        Brenda. :icon_wave:

Comment

I'm working on getting my sewing studio straightened out. I've spent the better part of two days folding fabric and throwing stuff out. It's amazing all the things I'm finding that I forgot I bought to begin with!!

I also sewed half of a top on a baby quilt.
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Quilting is my retirement plan too...unfortunately I have a few more years to work before I retire. In the meantime, I'm building my stash so I have something to keep me busy in my retirement when I'm no longer working and can't afford to buy fabric!!

Comment

Started 3 dudes quilt but switched up the location of the skinny strips. Am liking how the block turned out.3dudes.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X