WIP - 10/5/16 - First week of October!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 10/5/16 - First week of October!

I enjoy new beginnings, and I get one at the start of every month! It is a brand new slate of days to fill up with interesting things to do, and, of course, quilting, which is usually an enjoyable activity.

This week, I will be working on a bed quilt for myself. I made the top over 2 years ago. I now have added the borders, pieced the fabric for the backing, and selected my batting. I am going to use wool batting for the first time. I had thought I would use the technique of cotton batting under a split layer of wool batting. But, I was hemming and hawing over this. I started splitting the wool, and wasn't thrilled about having to split that large of batting. Also, I was hesitating over trying this technique on something so big - what if I didn't like the result? And finally, I realized that with this method, I would use three batting to make just two quilts. (Each quilt would have one cotton batting, and 1/2 of the wool batting, and I thought that might not be the best investment of my quilting dollars.) I decided I would rather try this technique on something smaller. I will have wool left over from this quilt, so I'll put it aside for another project.

I also just finished an order with Connecting Threads. I needed pillow forms for my reading pillows, and I saw that they were having a sale on thread, too. Only $1.98 for 1200 yards of 50 weight, 3 ply, cotton thread. It is great for piecing, though there is more lint than with Aurifil. I couldn't find a record of my previous orders, to compare which threads I had ordered in the past. So, I just ordered several different neutrals, and I'll be sure to document the color #s and how well the colors blended in with various fabrics. (Yeah, I guess I am a bit of a quilting geek that way!)

I hope you all are finding the beginning of a new month to be an opportunity to either finish a project, or to start something new. Let us all know what you are doing!
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 10/5/16 - First week of October!

The illusion quilt is marked and I'm getting it quilted.. in between fighting with some squirrels who keep digging out my bulbs to hide their "nuts" in my flower beds... we have a big walnut tree in our yard.

And I have some experimental blocks in the works...That Patriotic block is giving me a headache.
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

Big grading week for me, but I hope to work on my mystery quilt and the beginnings of the 5 million (OK, maybe a few less than that, but not many ) HSTs I need for another project.
      Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Having a really stressful week and still have not gotten to my binding but I am going to try today. I can't seem to focus right now on what I should be doing so I need to make a list but afraid that will just stress me out more to see what I want to accomplish all written out.
        Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

I finally finished the quilt for 1st GD. Just need to add the quilt label & wash.
          Going to try making a "copycat" Kavu bag, hoping this turns out ok. Planning on making for Christmas presents for DD's

Granny Judy - You can put your bulbs in a wire basket then plant, animals can't reach them but as the bulbs grow the shoots make their way out of openings.

Comment

I was told to put chicken wire just under the surface of the soil to keep squirrels away from new bulbs. Thought it was working until I saw a cheeky blighter lifting the wire and scraping underneath!!!!
            This week I am trying to finish off my donation bits and pieces before having a 5 days getaway at the weekend! Then when I get back I will still have a week off work so am going to start quilting my Linus projects - really looking forward to that!!!

Comment

Still working on the doggy quilts for the shelter. I have finished 14 so far (they are small, @36x36) and want to do twenty so hopefully I'll finish them soon.

It's so inspiring to read what everyone else is doing!

Jeannette

Comment

I completed all 12 applique blocks of Winter's Song, joined them together and started work on the borders. I asked my DH which of three blue inner borders he preferred and he suggested green. I found a lovely dark green olive batik and I love it. To me it adds the hope of spring to a cool winter quilt. This week I will be working on the two appliqued side borders. I may finish this week.

WintersSong 005.JPG
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Denise, that is stunning!!

Sylvia, I've used Connecting Threads for many years, their "natural" is my default thread. I love how rich a variety of colors they have, and I order from them once or twice a year, which feels like a lot to me!

My goal for this weekend is to finish the Halloween shirts so that the kids can enjoy wearing them a few times. I have them mostly cut out, and plan to finish the cutting tonight so I can sew tomorrow after school.

I accidentally got myself caught up in taking another online course, and I"m kicking myself for it because I do not have the time to spare. However, I do need the credit hours to renew my teaching certificate... so might as well get that over with.

When the shirts and mending are done, I'm going to look at my quilting stash ;-) We have fall break coming up and I'm hoping to finish a UFO and begin a new project. Most of what I have here is small projects this year, and that's probably pretty realistic... my children are keeping me busy and stressed, as is work. I need to get to bed early tonight and say some prayers of thankfulness so I dont get too jaded.

Comment

Sylvia,
                    I use CT thread also. When I lost the order numbers for the thread I use, I just e-mailed CT. They e-mailed me back with the numbers. Kathy
                    All quilts cat tested and approved.
                    sigpic

Comment

Denise that is gorgeous and cannot wait to see the whole quilt. I got the little happy quilt bound its bright and cuddly with a cuddle backing I wish I had gotten more of when it was available. Now on to the next UFO I just can't decide how to quilt it. Its a seahawk log cabin quilt for DH set in the rows and furrows layout but nothing is saying do this so I keep putting it off. Here is my happy quilt done using a simple pattern off the Sewing is more fun then housework blog. Although I used M* half hexie that is bigger then her version it was quick and fun. I had extra hexies so I am doing another one with a different focus pattern. And one using the tumbler blocks so my colors will change more across the quilt.
                      happyweb - Copy.jpg
                      Attached Files
                      Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Here's what I'm attacking this week. This is the 2nd quilt I'm finishing for my friend. It's a little tricky. She doesn't want "new" fabric brought in to complete the stars, so I'm going to be relocating stars. My plan is to cut (or take out stitches if appropriate) along the black lines to have a center rectangle. I'm going to add a small solid border around that. Then I'm going to turn the rest of the stars and half-stars into a border. I have a few 4-patches that her aunt had leftover from the same fabrics, and if the match is right, I'll add those into the border too. Wish me luck!

20161006_095613.jpg
                        Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
                        Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

The right border is done and attached. I'm really close now. I am debating how much time I need to spend cleaning up my sewing room before I start my next project. Two hours seems like a good compromise to start, then 30 minutes every other day until everything is put away. I really made a mess! I am putting it in writing so I don't weasel out.
                          WintersSong 004.JPG
                          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                            The right border is done and attached. I'm really close now. I am debating how much time I need to spend cleaning up my sewing room before I start my next project. Two hours seems like a good compromise to start, then 30 minutes every other day until everything is put away. I really made a mess! I am putting it in writing so I don't weasel out.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]136100[/ATTACH]
                            I just love that, you did a wonderful job.

Comment

Denise, I am in awe. That quilt is beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                              X