September's Design Wall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September's Design Wall.

OK, my design wall doesn't look much different than August.. I'm at a stand still inspiration wise...

I do want to figure out this block and add it to my Patriotic stash...

3patriotic.jpg

Has your design wall changed this month??
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Re: September's Design Wall.

Very cool block, I can see the different blocks needed to create the full block, but with my HST skills, not one that I personally would attempt. Please be sure to let us know how it turns out.

My design wall has been the same all month, working on a bear paw on point. Thought I had the top completed last night, but once again those HST got me and I found just as I was about to square up the top, that my corner triangles were just a tad too small, so I need to remove, recut, and resew. Hopefully tonight I can finish this top.

Comment

I have been working on my first ever freezer paper applique all month long. Here is where I was at the start of the month
      WintersSong 004.JPG

and here is how far I have gotten this month.
      WintersSong 019.JPG

What a challenge. I have two more blocks and the applique border to go.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Judy View Post
        OK, my design wall doesn't look much different than August.. I'm at a stand still inspiration wise...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135712[/ATTACH]

Preeti, if anyone can figure this block out, you can.
        My design wall is bare right now. Finishing the second of two quilts I have had on it this month and a third one is going to LAQ.
        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Looks like an odd-size 9 patch that requires step piecing. You have the following sub-blocks:
          4 HST of finishedsize x - made up of half a QST and then a striped triangle
          4 rectangles of finished size x by 2/3x - made up of 2 sub blocks: a HST of size 2/3x that's half solid and half 2-stripe, and a rectangle made up of squares finished size 1/3x
          1 square-in-a-square of finished size 2/3x

For ease of construction, x should be a number divisible by 3. So if we decide to make x=3, then our subblocks are 3" finished size squares and 3"x2" finished size rectangles, yielding an 8" finished size block.
          On the other hand, if we want a 12" finished block (which isn't too bad), x=4.5" so our sub blocks are 4.5" finished size and 4.5" by 3" finished size rectangles.

This means that the rectangles are made up of:
          Two 1.5" finished squares and a 3" finished HST (remember your seam allowances and make 2" squares and a 3.5" HST)

The larger squares are 4.5" finished, so you'll be making a 5" unfinished square.

The smaller square is 3" finished so 3.5" unfinished.

Where it gets dicey for me is figuring the width of the stripes. Since you want them to match up really well, I would almost go with foundation paper piecing, rather than measuring and piecing.

Comment

Okay, more time to think on it... for the strips if you didn't want to foundation piece the subblocks, you would have to take the length of the diagonal of one of the large squares, divide it in half, and then divide it in 3rds to figure out the finished strip width. The length of the diagonal for the finished 4.5" square is 4.5*squareroot of 2, so the finished width of each strip is 0.75*sqrt(2), or approximately 1.06 inches (1+1/16" would get you closest). Add in seam allowances and that puts the unfinished width of each strip at approximately 1 9/16 inches.

Because these numbers aren't exact, you'll want to make bias strips to give you room to stretch and make everything match. I'm not sure if you could get away with the typical tricks to making HST easy, but maybe Jenny's method might work? Might take some fiddling with the math.

According to the square-in-a-square calculator square-in-a-square calculator , the center square is made as follows:
            Take a 2 5/8" unfinished square for your center. Cut two 2 3/8" squares and cut along the diagonals to make triangles. Sew the long side of each triangle to the sides of the unfinished square and trim the square-in-a-square to 3.5" unfinished. (Based on my experience, if you're not an expert at square in a square, I recommend upping the 2 3/8" squares to 2 1/2 or 2 and 5/8 to give you more room to center everything just right.)

So make all your sub block assemblies, and then use the step-piecing technique to assemble your nine patch.

Comment

Oh yes, and the length of each strip is twice the size of the diagonal... so the largest strip's unfinished length would be 4.5*sqrt(2) + 0.5". The medium strip would be 3*sqrt(2) + 0.5. And the small strip's length would be 1.5*sqrt(2)+0.5". The closest length in easy measurements would be 6 7/8" unfinished for the longest strip, 4 3/4" unfinished for the medium strip, and 2 5/8" unfinished for the small strip with just a tiny bit of room to trim. It's probably better to just cut the triangles out of a strip set than it is to cut everything precisely to size.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightline View Post
                Oh yes, and the length of each strip is twice the size of the diagonal... so the largest strip's unfinished length would be 4.5*sqrt(2) + 0.5". The medium strip would be 3*sqrt(2) + 0.5. And the small strip's length would be 1.5*sqrt(2)+0.5". The closest length in easy measurements would be 6 7/8" unfinished for the longest strip, 4 3/4" unfinished for the medium strip, and 2 5/8" unfinished for the small strip with just a tiny bit of room to trim. It's probably better to just cut the triangles out of a strip set than it is to cut everything precisely to size.
                Thanks for all your input.. I've printed out a picture of this block and your helpful instructions. I hope tomorrow I can get into the sewing room and start working on it.
                I first thought of using strips sets, too. Hummmm. lots to consider. I'll let ya know how this works out.
                Judy

Comment

If you divide the block into an 8 x 8 grid, most of the pattern is HSTs and solid squares with a few Quarter square triangle units. For example, the top row left to right is a blue square, white square, blue/white HST, white square, red/white HST, red/white HST, white square and blue square.

Originally posted by Granny Judy View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135712[/ATTACH]

*~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I don't think the proportions are divisible in a 8x8 grid. This is how I see the units, they come from strip sets and quarter square triangles. You'll need to use a partial seam to start attatching the outer units to the central square-in-a-square, though.
                    MSQC 3patriotic.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by lourixe View Post
                      I don't think the proportions are divisible in a 8x8 grid. This is how I see the units, they come from strip sets and quarter square triangles. You'll need to use a partial seam to start attatching the outer units to the central square-in-a-square, though.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]135769[/ATTACH]
                      Yea!!! I love it when you post pictures. It's exactly what I was seeing.

Myrna, I did try a block with your 8x8 grid... It worked for the outside but got distorted as I got to the center. I may have messed up, too with not enough solid colored squares... Hmmmm???

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD (this is why you need math, kiddos)
                      Judy

Comment

Originally posted by lourixe View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]135769[/ATTACH]
                        I did try this 9 patch variation and here is my start..
                        each square measured 3.5 x 3.5

3.5 inch blocks.JPG
                        So far looks like the desired block. or NOT... I know the Quartered HST isn't big enough... (amazing what a photo sees that your eyes don't.)

Then I added:
                        finish 9.5 inch.JPG
                        since the red and white square just wouldn't work out. It doesn't meet the other red strips on the other blocks.
                        I gave up trying to get it to work and finished with the blue and white HST. finished block is 9.5 x 9.5. and I will add sashing with a blue square in the corner.. maybe.

Tomorrow I will try another approach.. and make that larger Q/HST. OR do the strips 2.5 hst for the 8 x8 units.
                        Judy

Comment

Working...
                        X