WIP - 8/30/16 - Are you a sewciopath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 8/30/16 - Are you a sewciopath?

A sewciopath is a person with an antisocial sewing disorder. They think mainly of their next project and seldom feel guilty about buying fabric - they can never seem to get enough!

I certainly do spend time thinking of my next projects - but I can manage my desire for more material - most of the time!

I haven't done anything with those next projects - or with the WIPs or UFOs - during the past week. I haven't been feeling well - very, very tired all the time. I have been to the doctor, tests have been run, medication has been adjusted, and we will retest in two months to see if all is now well. I have to get xrays and a bone density done. That is in the process of being scheduled. I know my weight is a contributing factor. I have tried many times to lose weight, without much success. I have been slowly changing my diet, and have already lost a few pounds, and kept them off, which is encouraging.

So, with all this being said, I am going to get a nice cold glass of lemon water and go up to the sewing room, turn on the A/C, and see what can be done about those reading pillows I want to make!

And, I almost forgot - I finally have a picture of Izzy with the tissue and chapstick cozies that she made.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=65442

What will you be doing this week?
    Last edited by Sylvia H; August 30, 2016, 12:16 PM.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 8/30/16 - Are you a sewciopath?

Well yesterday did not go well everything just frustrated me. I need to go get some Navy fabric for a border on my DH seahawk quilt which is now all together. I need to decide if I am going to make the stocking for the wedding coming up. And I am trying to decide on my new great nieces baby quilt. Can't decide soft colors or brights. I feel a little stuck right now.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Hi Sylvia,

I'm not sure if I am a sewciopath or not. I am always thinking of my next projects......notice I said projects! But I am usually very good about managing my desire for fabric.

Would an anti-social sewing disorder include....feeling the need to sew at home rather than in a group on certain projects? On some projects I feel like I need to be quiet and focused so I can think through each step of the project....especially if I'm trying a "new to me" technique. If I were in a group......I would be yapping too much and not paying attention.

However, on other simple projects it can be more fun to work in a room with other like minded quilters.

I have been working on sewing the sections together on my niece's quilt....and I have a little bit left to do on the embroidery.

Guess I better get back to it.....
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Sylvia so sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I too find it difficult to keep my weight down. I like to eat. I hate to exercise. But I make myself exercise because if I am not healthy I can not quilt, and I love to quilt. I use a kitchen timer while I quilt, set for 30 minutes. Every 30 minutes the alarm goes off and I force myself to get up and walk around the house and do my stretching exercises. I work out three times a week. The doctor says I need to increase it to 5 times a week. I doubt that will ever happen.

Because I am very uncoordinated and dislike exercise I found the only exercise routine I could stick to was working out with a DVD at home. No way to make excuses when I can pop a DVD in and workout.

I found I can stick with the routines by Leslie Sansone. Find an exercise workout that works for you and do it. Do it for yourself.

My favorite beginner Leslie Sansone DVD is

https://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sanson...way+the+pounds

I use this when I am recovering from surgery or an illness.

When I am at my normal wellness level I switch over to

https://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sanson...way+the+pounds

She has lots of walking DVDs. These are the two I can stick with.

On a quilting note I just finished block 3. I made an important discovery. When using the starch method it is important to do the pressing on a very firm surface, not your ironing board. I am getting much better turned edges now. I tried the glue stick on the tiny pieces like the beaks on the birds and that was a disaster. I won't be trying that again.
        WintersSong 003.JPGWintersSong 004.JPG
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Ooooohh cool, Denise! I feel like I missed something. When did you start this project? I love it.....love the birds. This is going to be so pretty. A bird quilt of some kind is on my "to-do" list.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
            Ooooohh cool, Denise! I feel like I missed something. When did you start this project? I love it.....love the birds. This is going to be so pretty. A bird quilt of some kind is on my "to-do" list.
            I started this last week. It is my first attempt at freezer paper applique. I like the turned edges much better than raw edge applique. I am doing the Winter's Song pattern. It has 15 birds in it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bee-Creative...35.m2548.l4275
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Sylvia I hope you feel better soon.Have you had a bone density scan before ?If not they don't hurt you just lay on the table.
              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I'm working on FMQing the storm-at-sea wedding quilt. I'm about 10/23 of the way towards being done. Rather than doing an all-over quilt design, I've been doing small designs in the centers of the squares and in the corners. (I need a sewing machine with a bigger neck if I want to do larger areas!) My cousin's wedding's two weeks away, but I think I can finish and get the binding done in time!

Comment

Maybe I'm a sewciopath. I like to sew. I don't know what it might be like to sew with other people, but I'd probably want to visit instead of sew and I'd get distracted.
                  So sorry you are not up to your normal physical self. Diets suck. I have been so hungry lately...usually this happens when the seasons change but I'm not ready for fall because that means winter is really close. We've been getting ready for winter , ordering K-1 fuel and cutting and stacking wood. TIme to pull up the tomato plants . Too much to do...so today I sat and sewed.
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

I was getting confused about what fabric went where, so I skipped over block 4 and did block 5. This block features a bluebird. We have five seasonal bluebirds in our yard, two parents and apparently three of their children and or mates. They have two bluebird houses.

WintersSong 004.JPGWintersSong 008.JPG

Comment

I made two half square triangles this evening! Believe it or not......I think that's maybe only the 2nd time I've attempted those little varmints.

You should have seen me trimming them........you would have thought I was performing brain surgery! I know it shouldn't be that complicated. My ruler was confusing me........that's it.......it's the rulers fault!

Comment

What am I doing this week? Today, I finished the blocks for the Cutting Corners quilt top. I've been weeding flower beds as time & energy permit. I also have been cleaning house getting ready for company. I'm in the process of having dental work done. A tooth extraction is scheduled for Tues. Not looking forward to that. Earlier this week I was in the dental chair for 1 hr. 40 min. having 3 different teeth worked on, multiple surfaces for fillings. Sewing projects have been slow this summer. I have a queen size quilt top (Herringbone) & backing ready; I'm waiting till my LAer has time for me the end of Sept.

Is that "sewciopath" a definition you made up? I'd much rather sew at home where all my supplies are rather than in a group. I hate hauling all my stuff to a class. My sewing room is organized just the way I like it. I can listen to the music of my choice on the CD player. Most of the time, I can resist the temptation to buy more fabric. I really already have such a large stash.

Comment

Sylvia I'm sorry to hear that you've not been feeling well. It's no fun to be feeling off. Good for you for working on the nutrition, it really will make the most impact for you. I've lost 45lbs on Weight Watchers since the beginning of January and hubby is down over 50. We are both feeling better!

I'm not a sewciopath, well, not always anyway! I've decided not to go back to school this year, instead I'm looking for work. Our son is moving to Toronto in October to train with Team Canada for wheelchair basketball and I really feel like I need to help with the funding of the adventure, but I'm also feeling reinvigorated toward my original career of social work and community development after learning about libraries. 🙃

I've been sewing. I have a baby quilt top done, just need to baste and quilt now so I can get it to its intended recipient. The baby is 5 months old already. I also took a quilt class last week for this pattern, Be Square by Karla Alexander of Saginaw Street Quilt Company. http://www.saginawstreetquilts.com/s...hp?cat=2&ID=54 I had to do some fiddling because my fabrics didn't match the size requirements but I got all my blocks done without too much problem. Just have to sew the top together now. This quilt is for my brother in law. I'm anxious to finish it up, it's going to be a pretty one.

Happy to be back to having some time to sew and quilt!

Terri
                          Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                          A sewciopath is a person with an antisocial sewing disorder. They think mainly of their next project and seldom feel guilty about buying fabric - they can never seem to get enough!

I certainly do spend time thinking of my next projects - but I can manage my desire for more material - most of the time!

I haven't done anything with those next projects - or with the WIPs or UFOs - during the past week. I haven't been feeling well - very, very tired all the time. I have been to the doctor, tests have been run, medication has been adjusted, and we will retest in two months to see if all is now well. I have to get xrays and a bone density done. That is in the process of being scheduled. I know my weight is a contributing factor. I have tried many times to lose weight, without much success. I have been slowly changing my diet, and have already lost a few pounds, and kept them off, which is encouraging.

So, with all this being said, I am going to get a nice cold glass of lemon water and go up to the sewing room, turn on the A/C, and see what can be done about those reading pillows I want to make!

And, I almost forgot - I finally have a picture of Izzy with the tissue and chapstick cozies that she made.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=65442

What will you be doing this week?

Comment

Working...
                          X