Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 8/23/16 - I'm a quilter, and ....

... my house is in pieces!

Does it seem to you that the 2nd half of the year goes by faster than the first half? Deadlines make me anxious, more so as I get older. Yikes! I am getting frazzled over Christmas gift deadlines! I'll take a few slow, deep breaths, and remind myself to focus on the enjoyment of the process, and what doesn't get done can be done later. There, that's better!

MaryUK - I know how time consuming it can be to get our fabrics and tools organized! But, as you say, it is very satisfying. I hope you are enjoying your holiday.
    Lou - You have my sympathies on the death of your grandmother. I am sure you are grateful that you were able to visit her while in the US. Thank you for the compliment on Izzy. Here is a link to the chapstick cozy directions: http://www.littlebitfunky.com/2012_10_01_archive.html I'm looking forward to seeing your hexie project (I have one waiting to be started, too.) I hope you had an enjoyable birthday.
    Altairss - Did you solve the problem with the jellystone park quilt? And, I totally 'get' the Christmas gift difficulty.
    Gshannon - How was your trip to the mountains? This is a great time for a mountain retreat.
    Lourixe - LOVE the chair cover. My daughter has a chair like that. I wonder if it needs a new cover?
    Denise - Your waterfall quilts are both lovely. I wish I had joined that class when it was discounted. Your quilting design for Magnachroma is perfect!
    Cathy F - I hope you are making progress on the deadline project. Quilting without A/C is a problem!
    Pcbatiks - THANK YOU for the link to Shiny Happy World! I signed up for the weekly emails. I can see Izzy and me using it a lot.

Well, I didn't start the book pillows this past week, but I did pull out a lot of fabric to see what goes together to make the pillows. I am sad to say that I am not too thrilled with what was pulled. All nice material, but not much that "goes together". I need complimentary fabric for the pillow pockets. I still have my fat quarters to look through, and I will probably find what I need there.

I did, however, buy some fabric. Yes, the women who is "shopping her stash" bought some more fabric. I succumbed to the Craftsy Black Friday sale. I couldn't pass up 8.5 yards of material for $36.00! I missed a few items because I waited too long to submit my order, but I'm okay with that. (And, yes, I did buy more than one fabric!) During our family dinner, I was able to get measurements for the flanne PJ bottoms. So that is another task done!

Wishing everyone a great week, with at least a bit of quilting for our pleasure and enjoyment.
    Last edited by Sylvia H; August 23, 2016, 08:53 AM.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 8/23/16 - I'm a quilter, and ....

Did I solve the problem on the jellystone quilt well no but I have an idea that I plan to try. I just don't want to cut down the rest of the blocks lol. the heat has been bad here so not getting much done but going to try and get something done today. Actually I did finish up another flimsy using the left over black and white squares and some yardage. it was boring so added a pop of red that formed little bow ties in the corners reminds me of a formal affair. Need to get some photos of it. I now have a small stack to quilt something I never had before lol. Also pulled out another UFO and came up with solution to running out of a fabric that got discontinued hopefully the substitute fabric won't be too notable but oh well done is better then perfect I guess.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

I think today I am a quilter, a gardener and a curtain maker.
      I finally got started on some curtains for my sister, the fabric was purchased about 6 months ago. I am more than half done in one afternoon. I do not know why I put this off so long. I need to know how big around her rod is then I can finish them up in an hour or two. I will be glad to have that project done and get back to quilting.
      I have also watered and rearranged some landscaping stones. Looking nicer in our backyard.

Comment

Getting to know my new machine. Janome 8900 (11.5 inch throat). I have 5 small quilts to quilt and hoping I can get them finished up in a couple of weeks, but first to get thru this learning curve.

An order I placed this past Spring for flowers arrived and will need to get those bulbs in the ground.. I have the space,, just need to prep it.

And this week end is the local quilt show (fri & sat)... hope to go on Saturday.
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

I am dabbling with freezer paper applique. I try to learn new techniques to keep my brain active. Thank goodness for the internet.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Sylvia, I love your posts! Thank you for being here. Yes, this year, especially the second half, has gone by way too fast! I was just telling DH that it's almost time to think about Christmas decorating!!
            Had surgery on my nose yesterday (basal cell) and have to take the bandage off and clean it later today.......nervous. I haven't seen how big the hole is.
            Hoping to work in my sewing room today. I started making the Tool Bag by Linda McGehee but feeling like the directions are not real clear. I've already cut the fabric out and put one zipper on the pocket, but now have to put the 36 inch zipper on the bag and having difficulty figuring out the directions! Grr. Reading comments about it (should have done that before I started it) and seems many have had problems.
            I have a fall wool applique candle mat to start stitching on. I have all the pieces cut out and fused on the background already. It's for a swap I'm doing with QATW. I'm still pretty new to wool applique, and this is my effort to challenge myself. I actually like doing it!
            I have a disappearing bento box quilt top that I still have to put a second border on, but don't have enough of the fabric so have to get to JoAnn's to get more of it. Wasn't going to put borders on it at all, but really would like to use this quilt on my bed (king) and it's not going to be big enough without the borders.
            Christmas projects...yikes I haven't decided yet what I want to make. I have some beautiful fabrics that I could make something with, but can't decide what.

Hope you all have a good rest of your week and a wonderful, productive, safe weekend!
            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Hi Sylvia, am having a lovely holiday, thanks AND got to visit my favourite fabric shop - bought ALOT - mainly solids and some Christmas fabric on offer! Put some lovely blue and green fabric in my basket but would you believe not enough for the pattern I had in mind!! Never mind will get to revisit the shop before we go home on Saturday!!!

Comment

Sylvia, yes I'm making good progress on the deadline quilt. All 18 blocks are done and tomorrow I'll be cutting the setting triangles and assembling the top. Been working early morning and evening when it's been cooler and it's paying off. I'll breathe a big sigh of relief when it's in the hands of the quilter!
                If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

My first ever freezer paper machine applique block. Baby steps! I like it. It is slower than raw edge fusible but so very soft and flexible. There is good edge definition, although not as good as needle turn applique. I may have found a reasonable compromise I can be happy with. On to block 2, 14 pieces.
                  WintersSong 002.JPG
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Sylvia,
                    You are so thoughtful! Ladies I did not realize how much I enjoy this thread until I was gone for a week without my computer. lol I the mountains is Georgia were breathtaking. Callaway Gardens is a wonderful resort/retreat. So peaceful! But to be honest I was glad to come home to my happy place and check in with some of my favorite quilters.

Denise the freezer paper applique is looking very nice.

Everyone have a great weekend doing just what you love.
                    Gwen
                    Last edited by gshannon1008; August 27, 2016, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Making progress with freezer paper applique. Here is block #2. I am using a tiny machine blanket stitch to attach the pieces. It hardly shows and there is still good edge definition.
                      WintersSong 002.JPG

I also like that I can change my mind about what fabric to use without wasting fabric. I reused the freezer paper to change my mind three times on what fabric to use in this bird. I just peeled the freezer paper off, ironed it to the new fabric choice, and kept going. The rejected fabric can be used someplace else.

True confession, the beak is raw edge applique. I am not confident enough to do a piece like that yet.
                      Last edited by DeniseSm; August 27, 2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Wow, I have missed you all so much. I've been so busy with work,weaving,gardening and the family that I haven't been on my computer except for their emails. I have been keeping to my goal of using up my stash as much as possible in 2016 fairly well. Those DD are making it very tough though. I completed a picnic quilt for a family and am finishing the binding of a quilt that I had bought fabric during the Shop Hop event. I'm going in vacation soon so I yet again have to set aside my needles and threads, rats. Winter is coming and that's when I can sew the most.
                        That freezer paper appliqué is really inspiring me to get something else started. Luckily I keep my UFO's down to zero at the moment, but that will change soon enough. Thanks for posting.
                        I tried to post a pic of the picnic quilt, but it won't allow me, maybe since I'm on my IPad, but it was all done in Batiks, mainly blues and I free styled all sorts of quilting on it to make it personal: their names, town, expressions and words. They seemed to like it so that's what's important. I thought my free styling needs some work, but I have time to improve.

Comment

Working...
                        X