Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP - 8/16/16 - Half way through August!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 8/16/16 - Half way through August!

Half way through August! I better get busy with the rest of the Christmas gifts I want to make! No quilts this yejar, though. I'll be making matching flannel PJ bottoms for family members and will get T-shirt tops from The Gap. I want to make two book pillows for great niece and great nephew. I think I work on those later this week.

My daughter and family will be visiting today through Thursday. Izzy and I will make something - but I don't know what. Some options are a pencil roll for school, a quilted hot mat, or some tissue pack cozies for her to give as gifts. I wonder what she will choose?

Now I must get my cup of coffee and get going on the things that still have to be done before their visit.

Can't wait to see what everyone is doing this week!
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 8/16/16 - Half way through August!

Hi Sylvia, hope you have a fine time with Izzy and family.

I'm still working on the embroidery....slowly but surely. I did finish cutting out another small throw quilt for a thank you gift for someone. That means I have 3 quilts I really want to finish....quilt and bind the Grinch, continue on nieces quilt and the newest project. I do have some ideas for small Christmas projects but don't know if I'll get those done or not.

I think I will go the the LGS today and spend some b-day money on fabric....they are closing next week. Guess I should see what colors I am lacking before I go.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I am working on a Waterfall Bargello from Leah Days new workshop

http://leahday.com/products/waterfall-bargello-workshop

I am so excited that she is covering quilting techniques for bargello, including bobbin work. This is my first time doing a bargello with solids. The strata is made and I am ready to cut it up.

waterfall 002.JPG
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I have spent the week and a half tidying up my fabric cupboards - so time consuming but so satisfying. I am going on holiday for a week on Saturday so can't afford the time to sew - might just make some Christmas cards!!
        I intend taking some knitting, crocheting and x- stitch for the evenings.

I hope you are all enjoying your free time whatever you are doing!!

Comment

Well that went quick. From strata to pieced bargello top in just a few hours.

waterfall 009.JPG

I think I will do it again. Maybe with tone on tone fabric or batiks.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Denise, you amaze me!!
            Sylvia, I can't wait to see what you get up to with Izzy!!
            pcbatiks- I'm looking forward to seeing the quilting on the grinch top!

I have a Christmas table runner that I made in the spring, it is supposed to have appliqué holly vines on each end but it is not looking promising, so maybe I'll just toss those pieces and finish the section that looks nice!! Tempting....

Yesterday was Grandma's funeral, I sent a note to all of my cousins that my Dad read at the luncheon, my siblings and one of my cousins have reached out to thank me already. It was the only way I could be there, and it helps to know hey care. (Sorry, not quilting related, I ramble, but I trust this crowd in the SAL)

Today is my birthday, and for the first time in 10 years I'm not in teaching in-service meetings today. I'm not really sure what we'll do, but I'm starting my morning with a bubble bath!

Comment

Happy Birthday, Lou. Not a lot of pleasant things you are dealing with, but hope that this day brought some pleasant memories for you.
              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Oh a bubble bath is an excellent way to enjoy your birthday. Happy Birthday and sorry for your loss

Christmas sigh going to have to start thinking about that I had this idea that I could actually finish some of the quilts I have been working on for the last two years and gift them for Christmas but not sure I can get that many done. I had not been up in my quilt room for a couple of days but got in there today and finished up another stash quilt in black and white with a pop of red. Now to figure out how to fix the the UFO jellystone park. I cut one block too small and cannot find my cutting directions for the pattern (not a free one).
                Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Happy Birthday Lou! I hope you had a wonderful day.
                  :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Awesome Denise! You got me adding this to my ever changing and growing list!
                    Happy birthday Lou! Hope it was a great day.
                    Sylvia I can't wait to see what you Izzy create.
                    I am heading to the mountains to enjoy some fellowship, fresh air and fun!
                    Happy Stitching everyone.

Comment

Happy birthday, Lou! I am sorry for your loss, but glad you keep fond memories of your grandma.
                      I have been MIA for many weeks now, as I have moved during my busiest working period and the hottest summer days! My cutting mat warped outrageously in the process, just imagine.
                      So the only sewing that has happened here has just been a couple of armchair covers. The old ones were so dusty and faded, they didn't fit at all in the new home.

I don't know if I'll be able to catch up with all your wonderful projects I have missed in the past weeks!:

Comment

My company left yesterday, and I miss them already. Time to start planning my next trip to go to NYC to visit them!

I am also very disappointed that due to a glitch in my computer, I lost the photos I took of Izzy. It was a frustrating computer glitch - insert pirate words - enough said!

Izzy was thrilled with the idea of tissue pack and chapstick cozies. We only had about 2 hours of sewing time, and it took me FOREVER to turn my chapstick cozies inside out. In fact, I still had three that had to be turned. So, I explained that we probably couldn't get that done because of the difficulty. Izzy thought she could do better, because her fingers and hands are smaller. So, I asked her to take one of mine and see if she could turn it. She turned all three in less time than it took me to turn one!!!!!

Problem solved! Chapstick cozy it is. I had such a lovely picture to share - Hopefully her parents can take one and send it to me.

I want to brag a little about how lovely this child is. Wednesday night, she helped me make the lasagna, mixing the ricotta and parmesan mixture, and layering the noodles and cheese. The next day she stated she was THRILLED to be able to help me with turning the chapstick cozies. Her statements on being so happy to help were very heartwarming.
                        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                          I want to brag a little about how lovely this child is. Wednesday night, she helped me make the lasagna, mixing the ricotta and parmesan mixture, and layering the noodles and cheese. The next day she stated she was THRILLED to be able to help me with turning the chapstick cozies. Her statements on being so happy to help were very heartwarming.
                          What a sweetheart!! I'm glad to hear the visit went so nicely. I was thinking about your chapstick cozies recently, would you be willing to remind me where you got the pattern or tutorial? I think I might try to make a few for teacher gifts this year, get started on Christmas gift for teachers and colleagues from the start of school and I might have something to show for it by December.

I have my hexies out this evening, I'm going to work on those while I wait on the washing machine to run its course, I still haven't finished straightening up or cleaning out my sewing /office space and I know there is work yet to be done. However, I think after a rather intense summer of sewing every free second I had, the break has been a good thing. I've started to have ideas of what I want to do that will be simple and low stress creep into my mind yesterday and today, so I'm sure I'll pick it all back up again soon...

Comment

I finished my tone on tone version of Leah Days Waterfall bargello. I like it better than the solid fabrics.
                            waterfall 011.JPG

I decided since Magnachroma was only 30 inches square I could quilt it without getting too hot and sweaty. I found two pieces of scrap batting I can seam together. Now I am staring at the design trying to decide what to quilt.

Comment

Oh boy, I came up with a really cool quilting design for Magnachroma. It is marked and ready to start quilting. I adjusted the contrast in the picture you can see the markings better.

magnachroma 001.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X