WIP - 7/20/16 - Summer Breezes and Winter's Cold Winds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 7/20/16 - Summer Breezes and Winter's Cold Winds

I like summer mornings like this when I can enjoy a lovely breeze instead of needing the A/C to be comfortable. But some of our quilting friends are battling the winter winds and putting another quilt on the bed to keep warm. Isn't it amazing how we are joined together from so many different places?

I have made all the blocks for the scrappy quilt I started last week. I am now putting them on my design wall, and will be moving them around awhile until I find an arrangement I like. Pictures later, I hope.

Since it is a cool morning, I am going to warm up my kitchen a bit by doing some freezer cooking. On the menu for today is home made cream of chicken soup and a chicken, rice and broccoli casserole. Some will be frozen for later, and some will be enjoyed today.

I am looking forward reading about, and seeing pictures of, what everyone is working on this week.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 7/20/16 - Summer Breezes and Winter's Cold Winds

I'm sitting on my patio enjoying fresh air and coffee this morning. It is the only time of day to sit outside because once the sun comes around it is just too hot!! It's always hot here in summer, and it doesn't bother me much, but I do try to take advantage of my mornings.

I have some odds and ends that I'll be sewing this week, clothing wise, while I have my serger here and ready to get clothing done. I have a landscape wall hanging that I need to make a friend, but I'm less than enthusiastic about it.... So we'll see how that pans out. I have some of my clothing items that I really would rather be doing!!

I have a crock pot full of refried beans that I made last night, they will make perfect tortilla fillings with a bit of cheese and a lot of fresh salsa for a healthy lunch today, and possibly into this week.... I love cooking from home rather than going out, but it's hard here to balance that urge to prep way too much that we just can't possibly use before we go back overseas.... Tricky balance!

Comment

Another hot day in Orange County is predicted. I'm sitting at the kitchen table under the ceiling fan feeling a nice cool breeze. If I close my eyes I can almost imagine it's fall weather.

Just started a new wall hanging for my family room. I'm anxious to get back up to the sewing room to continue the cutting. I'm using reproduction fabrics which I absolutely love.

Yesterday, I finished the first round of sanding on a cupboard we brought back from the Netherlands. Today, I'll begin a second round with a finer grit. I'm so anxious to finish it and see it sitting in our living room. The plan is to hold Joe's grandmother's beautiful china. The rest of the day will be spent running errands and doing a bit of cleaning. I do have to say with just Joe and me here the house stays a lot cleaner. Yay!
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I'm at the quilt borders stage with my Ghastlie quilt. It's all hand sewing "big stitches".
        DSCN8257.jpg

It took me awhile to figure out a "pattern" for the corners.. the rest is pretty simple . Maybe I'll get this one done in time to cover me for the colder weather.
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

Very cool, kinda looks like Sashiko work.

Comment

Yeah, my Simon Says pdf quilt pattern arrived and I have enough solids in my stash to make it. What a great way to use up all the solids left over from my Postcards From Sweden quilt. I made a test block to make sure I liked it before I cut up all my FQ.

I think its fun. And it has no points or matching seams. Petal to the metal baby.

skittles 001.JPG
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Judy View Post
              I'm at the quilt borders stage with my Ghastlie quilt. It's all hand sewing "big stitches".
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]133335[/ATTACH]

It took me awhile to figure out a "pattern" for the corners.. the rest is pretty simple . Maybe I'll get this one done in time to cover me for the colder weather.
              That looks awesome!! I wish I had the patience to sit and do handwork like this, I'm always moving too fast!

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
              Yeah, my Simon Says pdf quilt pattern arrived and I have enough solids in my stash to make it. What a great way to use up all the solids left over from my Postcards From Sweden quilt. I made a test block to make sure I liked it before I cut up all my FQ.

I think its fun. And it has no points or matching seams. Petal to the metal baby.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]133371[/ATTACH]
              Cute! THAT is my kind of pattern!! No points and triangles to match is awesome!!!

Comment

Rebecca- I'm intrigued by both of your projects, the wall hanging and the refinishing cabinet. How cool!

Sylvia, I can't believe how quickly you are zipping through the scrappy quilt, I can't wait to see it!!

I've actually got a few hours of peace and quiet (theoretically) ahead of me this afternoon, I might get a few pairs of underpants sewn up for my daughter!

Comment

every time I take a break from quilting due to family, camping, vacation or whatever I seem to have a hard time getting started and then want to start something new. So this week I made myself go in just for an hour and it seems to be working I have my star bright top made out of left over charms almost put together. Its a cute baby quilt pattern I saw that is fairly simple. Since I wanted to use just the charms I had left I did the star wonky instead of using HST and just put it where I felt like it instead of strictly following the pattern. Actually I did not have the picture in front of me and I wanted it bigger anyway lol

The patterns free on craftsy.
                  http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...-pattern/67578

I also pulled out my part finished floating squares quilt blocks so I could keep reducing those stacks of charms. Its being made with Batiks and black background not sure how big I will go just will go for it so to speak till they are gone. I found a three inch stack of these charms at a thrift store for two bucks its amazing how many are in there especially when they joined up with my other left overs.
                  I also have my rail weave quilt all together but figured out its so close to a twin that I should just add a row then I can gift it to one of my nieces when its done as its awfully big for a throw. My room is kinda crazy right now with four or five quilts in progress I am trying to make myself finish some of these tops so I can clean up a bit. The mess is driving me a bit nutty and I don't feel I am really getting anything done. I now my scrap bin overflowith and I really need to put some string blocks together to get that down. I think I am driving myself a bit nuts lol
                  Last edited by Altairss; July 23, 2016, 09:23 AM.
                  Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Originally posted by Altairss View Post
                    every time I take a break from quilting due to family, camping, vacation or whatever I seem to have a hard time getting started and then want to start something new. So this week I made myself go in just for an hour and it seems to be working I have my star bright top made out of left over charms almost put together. Its a cute baby quilt pattern I saw that is fairly simple. Since I wanted to use just the charms I had left I did the star wonky instead of using HST and just put it where I felt like it instead of strictly following the pattern. Actually I did not have the picture in front of me and I wanted it bigger anyway lol

The patterns free on craftsy.
                    http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...-pattern/67578

I also pulled out my part finished floating squares quilt blocks so I could keep reducing those stacks of charms. Its being made with Batiks and black background not sure how big I will go just will go for it so to speak till they are gone. I found a three inch stack of these charms at a thrift store for two bucks its amazing how many are in there especially when they joined up with my other left overs.
                    I also have my rail weave quilt all together but figured out its so close to a twin that I should just add a row then I can gift it to one of my nieces when its done as its awfully big for a throw. My room is kinda crazy right now with four or five quilts in progress I am trying to make myself finish some of these tops so I can clean up a bit. The mess is driving me a bit nutty and I don't feel I am really getting anything done. I now my scrap bin overflowith and I really need to put some string blocks together to get that down. I think I am driving myself a bit nuts lol
                    I did that with my clothing pile this week! Yesterday I cut out the pieces for two shirts, two jackets and anytime there were enough scraps left for a pair of undies, I cut that too. Then last night I sat down for about 3 hours and made 2 shirts, and 4 pairs of unders.

Next up is to finish the jackets and begin this quilt wall hanging I'm procrastinating about. I should probably do that first, but I'm being pretty lazy about it

Comment

The cathedral star is coming along. I tried a slight variation I hope goes well, instead of a solid triangular piece to fit in the diagonal piecing to square up the block... I made oversized star blocks and cut them into the triangles. I am now sewing the rows and all is going well. Keeping a good thought and my seam ripper handy...lol

CS top2.jpg

CS top1.jpg

Comment

That is beautiful gshannon!

Comment

Originally posted by gshannon1008 View Post
                          The cathedral star is coming along. I tried a slight variation I hope goes well, instead of a solid triangular piece to fit in the diagonal piecing to square up the block... I made oversized star blocks and cut them into the triangles. I am now sewing the rows and all is going well. Keeping a good thought and my seam ripper handy...lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]133478[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]133479[/ATTACH]
                          Beautiful!!

I finally started on the wall hanging I've been dragging my feet over, now I'm wondering if I can get far enough on it to bring it so I can tack don the binding on the train ride...

I'm taking my kids to NJ and CT this week to see my family. My grandmother is in hospice care and my Dad didn't feel he could come to us, so onward we go with our spontaneous summer.... Wish me luck, I'm a bit nervous about the kids on the train ... And I'm going to be constantly thinking about all the things I want to sew!!

Comment

Originally posted by RockinLou View Post
                            Beautiful!!

I finally started on the wall hanging I've been dragging my feet over, now I'm wondering if I can get far enough on it to bring it so I can tack don the binding on the train ride...

I'm taking my kids to NJ and CT this week to see my family. My grandmother is in hospice care and my Dad didn't feel he could come to us, so onward we go with our spontaneous summer.... Wish me luck, I'm a bit nervous about the kids on the train ... And I'm going to be constantly thinking about all the things I want to sew!!
                            The kids should enjoy the train! Great way to travel with kids because they can get up and move around! They will probably find buddies along the way!

I'm working on a blooming 9 patch, and need to quilt a wedding gift quilt. Plus make some costume pieces for a play I'm working on. But my heart wants to keep making 9 patches for the blooming 9 patch because they are just fun to make!

Comment

Well, I have the wall hanging top done, I'll quilt it on Friday at my sister's house so I can mail it off before we go back to Kazakhstan on the 9th!

image.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X