Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP - 6/7/16 - Summertime, Summertime, Sum....sum....summertime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - 6/7/16 - Summertime, Summertime, Sum....sum....summertime!

Summertime has arrived here in Schwenksville, PA, even if the calendar says it is still Spring. My screen door was damaged during the winter, and until I can get it replaced, my first floor has poor air circulation. This has required me to depend upon my air conditioner more than I would normally have to do. I have had it running most days for over a week. I'm glad most of the nights still get cooler.

I didn't finish SITD on 'The Cat and Snail Continuum' yesterday, so I am working on that today, and then will go right into the outline quilting around the cats. I had a problem with my walking foot - was able to fix it, and now I just have to keep on top of the lint from both the flannel backing and the Connecting Threads thread that I am using. I will be using YLI thread for the outline quilting on the top, but will continue with Connecting Threads 50 wt on the bottom. This is my first time to use YLI thread. It is 30 wt, and I purchased it because it is a thicker thread, and should show up more on the quilt - I'll let you know how that goes.

Please share your activities - quilting and otherwise - for the week.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP - 6/7/16 - Summertime, Summertime, Sum....sum....summertime!

Sylvia, it sounds like you miss all the banter from winter that was on the forum. Me too. I come here twice a day to see whats new and it is rare to find many folks posting. We don't have screens so we just open the doors and windows. Cats come and go. An occasional humming bird finds its way thru. Of course, it makes housekeeping a bit more of a chore from dirt and dust but I know its summer and that is the one season I don't want to miss.
    I weed for some of the day and read a little and I am trying to finish up a UFO that I began in January for myself. THen I started the Shriners Quilt Raffle project and put it on hold. Well, yesterday I snowballed the 300 plus strips on all four corners and got them ironed. I don't remember how big this quilt is going to be but hope its big with all those snowballs. lol Then , I ordered a zippered bag kit from Connecting Threads and thought I would try my hand at that. Might make Christmas gifts if they are as easy as everyone on the forum attests to. I cut one out and laid it out on the table. Looks like a no brainer...but alas, I could make a mess out of it as my skills don't lean to perfectionism.
    NC split up our voting into two sessions last April and so today we have the opportunity to vote for Supreme Court justices. I guess I'll go to the polls with DH and then maybe we'll run some errands and maybe he'll take me for lunch.
    My tomato plants are doubling in size with the warm weather and the rain. I planted them in the flower gardens this year so I wouldn't have to walk a 1/2 mile to the garden space. Its sort of fun to see them on a daily basis.
    Yesterday I swept out the little cabin by the pond. THe GK's will be coming the 4th of July and I thought I might get it spiffed up for them. We built it solely for their use. It is 16x16 with a loft and a 12x16 covered front porch. Big enough for them to camp out in if their parents will let them stay there alone, they will have fun. They are getting big enough to do that now. 10 of them from 4 to 13 will be coming this year. I think the pond scares the adults!
    Have a great day Sylvia. We'll be sewing this summer...but slowly I suppose with so many other things to distract us.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

Good morning, All. Summer is here, too. It got up to 96 yest.! I'm thankful for the evaporative cooler, regular fans, & the ceiling (attic) fan. We leave our windows open & pull in the cool night air. No broken screens here, & no pets. Some neighborhood cat is hanging around our barn style shed & somehow finds a way to get under there, even though I've placed several bricks along the lower edge. Of course, we have wild rabbits galore running around our yards & the alley out back. It's entertaining to watch them chase each other. We have a lot of birds that come to our water dish. We quit feeding the birds years ago due to the mess & expense of feed. The grackles were the worst offenders, b/c they flip the seed out & empty a feeder in a single day. Keeping the squirrels out is a problem, too. In the fall & winter the birds & squirrels eat the crabapples from our 2 trees.

Yest. eve. a storm system moved through. We got lightning, thunder, & rain here, but areas SE of Denver got quarter size to golf ball size hail. Estes Park got 3-4" of hail. Sometimes it will hail so much they have to get out the snow plows.

I'm making slow quilting progress -- still working on the latest baby quilt which is made from Hourglass blocks. I have 1 border on; 3 to go. I'd like to get this quilt completed this week if possible. Some days I have only 1 hr. to sew; some days not at all. Other things take precedence.

Grammaterry, snowballing 300 corners sounds like a lot of work! That's one of my least favorite things to do.

I enjoyed today's quilting story of the little grand dau. imitating our Jenny. She has inspired so many of us with her tutorials. I hope she has a wonderful birthday this week.

Comment

Pretty hot here too. Not too much quilting of late I have a new puppy and he is pretty busy and needs lots of exercise and training. add in that My sewing room has no AC so can only sew in the morning right now. Lately I am a bit ADD when it comes to quilting right now and I am hoping from project to project. I had three King size quilts under way and started a fourth a massive bed spread with the morning star pattern ( quilters cache) Jenny version is called under the stars. Its for my bed I realized I had almost no backup quilts that fit my bed after my new puppy peed on it. He jumps high enough to get up there by himself.

Anyway I picked bigger blocks but its still a 100 blocks What was I thinking I now of 25 of them done. But then 10 days ago I decided to make a large rag quilt finished and gifted but forgot to photograph it sigh then did the outside of Christmas stocking then went back to the Morning star. Got a wild idea yesterday and now started another quilt at least its not a king lol.

Yard work is consuming much of my time that is not with my family or puppy. hours and hours of weed eating and mowing thanks to a really wet spring followed by a lot of heat. I have no top soil rocky ground that grows rocks and weeds blackberries and due to the large rocks that work up every winter I pick up rocks for hours every spring and I have been trying to Not spray chemicals due to the dogs but I can't seem to keep up. Would like to get something finished so I can get that feeling of having accomplished something. Time to find some little projects.
        morningstar.jpg
        Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Hello everyone, 2nd day of sunshine here in SE Texas. Yeah! So tired of the constant rain. A/C has been running for a while now. Not too much sewing planned for this week, since I'm tired by the time I get home from work, and leave on a short vacation on Saturday for a few days to visit a friend. I did however decide to measure a quilt that I am working on so I could maybe do the borders before leaving Saturday. Well, wouldn't you know it. 77 inches for some rows and 79.5 for others. I have got to learn how to sew consistent 1/4 inch seams. That must be the problem because I squared up all of the blocks before stitching together in rows. I guess I will have to pull out the grim ripper. I think after this, I need to take some scraps, and practice those seams.
          Hope you all have a wonderful day today.

Comment

Oh my, we are all in the same boat. We can't focus, we have no goal, no time frame. We like to sew, but we have so much else that needs doing...I cut out a bag and I' m working on the quilt and DH says "is that another quilt" and I snap back "why" and then he says, "I don't think the boys will like those bags" And I tell him that in camo they will look different. I browse the internet looking for a deal on bulk zippers and D rings and then realize that unless I finish the first bag, I won't really know if I want 60 zippers and 500 d rings. Oh...the ADHD is really working on me. And, I went out today to check on all the reatail locations for the Shriners Childrens hospital Quilt raffle and I just couldn't focus. Maybe next week I'll have more to do. I need to paint the little cabin by the pond before the 4th of July and I need to wash windows but I have to vacuum and wash and tomorrow is the last day I have off, and then back to the restaurant. I feel so awash in stuff to do.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

Long day but I got four more Sweet Tooth blocks done. That is 14 of 24 blocks done. I like how they are playing together.
              sweet tooth 003.JPG
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Denise, I really like those blocks and your colors. It's looking great

Comment

I'm just puttering away with all the Orphan Blocks sent my way. (I donate quilts to the local abuse center at Christmas) So far I've set up 10 kits to make into quilts. Last week I sent off 8 to my good friend to get quilted (she's a long arm quilter with a need for "practice") Love embroidery blocks.. even those single orphans can give me a thrill.. sending shivers and explosive creative juices flowing in my head.

Yes, I'm addicted to others orphans.. I got 4 boxes of goodies sorted and into One very stuffed box of kits.

And I have made progress on the hand quilting.. got approximately half done on the Ghastlies. Putting the backing together for the Curved log cabin quilt. In the Que is the Vintage top.. needs sandwiched and quilted.

I think I'd get more done inside if we didn't have such beautiful weather.. But the little man & I have to get out and enjoy the sunshine everyday. yard duty.jpg
                  Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                  :icon_wave:

Comment

Progressing along with "The Cat and Snail Continuum" - here is the latest on my quilting: http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gen...tml#post882100
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Looks like we all have a lot of different directions to take us through our days. If one thing gets finished, there is always another to start on. I love my job in the fact that every year I know I have summertime off to get the bigger stuff done. On the last day of school I print off a blank June/July/August calendar and start filling in what I want to get accomplished. I am finishing up my bedroom today - a carpet cleaning and run the quilt and covers through the wash. I cleaned out clutter, clothes, and made new curtains. The last 2 weeks of June I will be working on my daughters old room. Clean out, repaint, and move my computer desk and office stuff in there. July is repainting the boys' room, working on my photos, organizing papers, and scrubbing the front porch. August is finish up what is leftover or took more time than I anticipated getting done. Of course, tucked in summer plans is always spending a day or two a week at my dads helping with his huge garden and quilting.
                      It's interesting to read what everyone is up to.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I'm hoping my gray fabric comes tomorrow.......so I can start sewing on my niece's quilt. The printed pieces are making a pretty display on my design wall right now.

I won a door prize at our guild meeting a few night ago. One item I got was a seam ripper with the rubbery tip for removing thread pieces. I discovered another use for it. If you have a stack of precuts or squares that you need to look through or count......you can use the rubber end of the seam ripper to move the corners of the fabric.......instead of fumbling with each piece by hand.
                        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Got a circle of care quilt finished last night for a colleague who's baby was born asleep. Ironing tonight after work and then tomorrow I'll get back to my 365 challenge. I'm about 25 blocks behind at the moment but I've got until December to catch up. I need to get some teacher gifts made too. Our kids here finish on the 24th of June for 7 weeks. Our weather has been really warm (for Scotland) for the last 2 weeks but they are threatening us with rain for tomorrow. A good excuse for me to stay inside on my day off and ignore the weeds in the garden though. Sometimes you have to look a little bit harder for the silver lining in the clouds........

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                            Long day but I got four more Sweet Tooth blocks done. That is 14 of 24 blocks done. I like how they are playing together.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]131645[/ATTACH]
                            This is coming together very nicely. It is simply beautiful.

Comment

image.jpg Put binding on two panels for my granddaughters. They love Sofia the 1st on the Disney channel.
                              sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Working...
                              X