Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP, 10/13/15, What treats are coming from your sewing machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP, 10/13/15, What treats are coming from your sewing machine?

I hope we all are able to spend time this week on our favorite pastime. I should make a plan for what I can reasonably get done for the holidays....ummm......sure, yeah,,,,"reasonably" hahahaha!

This weekend, my daughter, her husband and her step-daughter came to visit. This was Isadora's first visit to my home and to spend time with JJ. Izzy has 4 cats, but doesn't spend much time with dogs. She really enjoyed her time with JJ, and she and I made a pillowcase together.

PA100002.jpg PA100004.jpg

Izzy and I are making a quilt together. It is going to have cats and snails on the front, and a flannel back. She is going to decorate some of the blocks with drawings and embroidery. While she was here, she selected the materials she wanted for the cat portion of the quilt. This will be interesting, as she has chosen some unusual (to me) fabric combinations. She is a very intelligent girl. I explained several things about the sewing machine, and she remembered everything after only being told once. Later in the day, she wanted to know how was I able to move the material around (FMQ) if the feed dogs were pulling the material in one direction. I was surprised that with no discussion at all, she was able to figure out this would be a problem.

I am finally taking my machine into the store to be cleaned, and I will have to pull out the Bernina I won last year and use it for the first time!
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: WIP, 10/13/15, What treats are coming from your sewing machine?

Your Izzy is a cutie and I would love to pet your dog, too.

I hope to finish FMQ on a funny squirrel Thanksgiving panel today then maybe do a couple more Farmgirl blocks. Definitely having a sewing kind of day.

Comment

It sounds like she has an instinct for the physics of the machine--that's such a good thing to have!

I'm going to layer up a quilt later this week, though I haven't a clue how I'm going to quilt it--still thinking about that. I will also work on some string blocks. But, today, the DMV for license renewals.
      Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Izzy sounds like a smart girl, hopefully she will love sewing too!

It's all about babies for me right now. My sister and I are busy making burpees, changing pads, self binding baby blankets and quilts. We have several babies coming in the next few months so we have a lot to do. Probably just a little sewing tonight but I get to sew all day tomorrow with a short break for a dentist appointment.
        Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hand quilting continues on my Poppy Panache. Just love the colors. Only a BIG problem.......threaded my needle last night and put it down in the quilt, I thought. Got up to potty and when I came back it was missing!!!!! Put it aside to wait until this AM and still cannot find it. The long thread in the needle I thought would be easy to locate, but no luck. DH helped and we still cannot find it. I'm blaming Buddy the Cat for stealing it. He loves to watch me sew and if I am not careful he will try to pull the thread out.

Wish us luck in finding it. Now I have to go and find another needle. Seems I tend to lose quite a few. When my thimble disappears I know to look in the basement for it because Andy the Cat always takes it there and leaves it at the bottom of the steps. It is a great game of his.
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

Made another dozen string triangles today--some have fussy-cut fabrics.

DSCN1097.jpg

DSCN1101.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1099.jpg

DSCN1098.jpg
            Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Lots of practical things going on this week, plus some fall/winter prep that isn't finished. I'm totally stalled on the lap quilts. Hopefully at some point I'll get SOMETHING done.

Comment

Got two of the baby quilts quilted and a third started. I am not loving what I am doing on the third and I am stuck and thinking of tearing out the quilting. Then I need to trim and bind them all.
                Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

IMG_20151011_233949905_HDR (800x731).jpg

All hand sewn....having a grand time with it!
                  Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Got the crib size Falling Charms rows put together. Wednesday's plan is to sew the rows together and then add the borders. Also would like to cut out a couple quilts for two toddlers turning three this weekend, yes I know last minute. If I don't get them done I will get them a toy for their party gift and give them the quilts later.
                    sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Getting lots of fun things done! I can 'goof off' and sew more when I have fewer clients coming in - that's why I forgive winter for making me into Robo-Pam. Working on more hexie flowers (aren't they fun, Shermur? Love yours!) for the Flower Garden quilt, I almost have all the flowers done, and the sashing hexies about halfway basted - 540 of them. I'm one block behind on the Baltimore Spring BOM but I'm not going to fret over that too much, I'm pretty sure the quilt police won't get me for not finishing one per month. Hiatus on Common Bride, it'll wait for me.

I decided to make the hangings from Seasonal Silhouettes (Edyta Sitar, of course, I feel like I'm in a cult) to hang on the door that goes from the office into my house. October is up and I'm working on November today. A few years ago I made a few of those Bucilla felt-and-sequin wreaths - fall, Halloween, Spring, X-mas, and thought they were great, now I think they're kind of gaudy and way too sparkly and not really appropriate for a cemetery office. Gonna give them as gifts, probably, or hang them on the other side of the door.

Hope everyone's having a good week! I sure am, except for the root canal, but at least that's over!
                      Last edited by pharris123; October 14th, 2015, 11:14 AM. Reason: obsession
                      Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

Shirt #2 for hubby done. One more and that should hold him for awhile.
                        003.jpg
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I had to stop sewing this evening because of pain in my left hip. Boy, will my doctor have a lot to deal with when I go in for my annual exam! Yesterday, I cut the fabric for a Christmas tree skirt. Today, I started sewing the pieces together. (Oh, yeah, there was that block of time where I had to learn how to use the new machine!!!!!!) I bought a kit from Connecting Threads for a tree skirt, and also a kit for Christmas pillows- all to be gifts to my son and DIL. (I checked with DIL to make sure she liked them.)

The hip is not doing any better while I am sitting in front of my Chromebook. Maybe a good night's sleep?
                          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Sylvia, We use a lot of Aspercreme at our house. Another thing that works well is a homeopathic "med" that comes in either an oil or a gel. It's Arnica. I get it at the local natural grocer store. Just rub it in over the affected area. I also use Sombra Cream, which I get at my local medical supply. It's also available on line. Sometimes my R. knee flares up if I spend too much time sewing or FMQ. If things really get tight, I get a full body massage. I routinely get a massage every 4 wks.

Comment

those shirts look so professional. I get stalled on the collars and sleeves. I stopped sewing garments a long time ago.

Just got a couple more table runners done for gifts this Christmas..for DD#2.
                              tablerunner 4th July.jpgtablerunner easter.jpg
                              One for Easter and one for the 4th of July. That makes 7 runners done so far and DD wanted a dozen, plus a couple of lap quilts. I'm working at it.. sew a little each day.
                              Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                              :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X