Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP 9/29/2016 Progressing through the year, October already? Fall is a time for fresh starts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP 9/29/2016 Progressing through the year, October already? Fall is a time for fresh starts.

I'm not usually the one who starts this thread but I know that we need a fresh start this week!

It is officially time for fall, the best time of year to do "spring cleaning" and that time of year when newly sharpened pencils and the smell of a fresh box of 64 Crayolas and a pad of construction paper bring the promise of adventure and creativity. So what are you getting creative about this week? What sparks your imagination and gets the wheels turning?

I've been in a whirlwind of late summer activity, as I am a teacher this is pretty normal at the start of our school year, as I get to know new colleagues, new administration, new courses, and most importantly new students. So my creative and crafty side have been on the back burner for too long. I went back to a group started in January about all the projects we wish we would make this year. It's kind of sad how many active posts there were in January and how radio silenced the group is now. Where did the gusto go? I think it sizzled up in summer and went on vacation... time to reign it back in and get things done.

This week I will finish piecing my pumpkin applique wall hanging. I may or may not get it basted and quilted, but there will be a top. I want to enjoy it in the fall, and with October the 1st being Monday, the clock is ticking.

Yes, the pumpkins have been on my to-do list since January, to be honest for several years, but maybe I'm the only nut holding myself to promises I made to myself 10 months ago.

If all the ambition of the new year fizzled out, why not give yourself a fresh start in the fall? Sharpen the pencils, crack open the crayons, smell the promise of fun and creativity, and hop to it!

Re: WIP 9/29/2016 Progressing through the year, October already? Fall is a time for fresh starts.

Thanks for beginning this thread, Lou.

For me, Autumn is a time of beginning. I, too, teach, so it makes sense to me. I've got several things going, some finishes in sight, and lots of plans.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: WIP 9/29/2016 Progressing through the year, October already? Fall is a time for fresh starts.

On my way to quilting again after all the painting DH and I have been doing. Am going to make a flannel rag quilt for SIL xmas gift this year. Wish me luck, this will be a first for me.
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

I've sewn rows of batik blocks together and now working on applique block to add into the quilt. Deciding how to machine quilt on the applique block is intimidating me a little but I'll figure it out.

Hope everyone has a successful quilting week. May your bobbin not run out until the project is finished.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Well, I guess I should stop working on the applique for the batik quilt. They broke up.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Comment

I honestly don't remember if I made that list or not.

I am trying to finish up a few projects in the works.

-DGS#2's baby quilt (he will be here in November) I just finished sewing the back together and started the starching process.
            -cousins's baby quilt (he will be in November, too) top is finished
            -DD's birthday quilt from a couple of years ago - just needs borders, large queen size, it will be sent out to be longarmed.
            -tumbler flag that has been waiting quilting from long ago (a forum swap) shouldn't take long
            -another quilt top for a little girl in the family that never got quilted (this may have to wait some more)

Then lots on my Christmas list, and time is slipping by very quickly....
            Donna

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
              Well, I guess I should stop working on the applique for the batik quilt. They broke up.
              Well, that was quick!!
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I am in need of getting some projects completed here, too. I had great plans for getting lots accomplished at my retreat but wound up getting sick and coming home early on Sat. I went to the doctor today and got some meds so I should be back among the living in a day or so.
                I do need to prioritize what really should get done first,second, etc. Should it go by what needs the least work or what I want to finish?? Maybe it should be what it taking up the most space, LOL.
                I am guilty of wanting to do the fun new thing first.
                OK, made up my mind, the 3 or 4 Farmgirl blocks that are cut out will be fist on the list. I might get in an hour of FMQ first. aaarrrggg, It is so hard to decide.

Comment

Lou, don't look now, but on my calendar Oct 1 is Thursday.
                  I sewed! Finally put the paint stuff away, well most of it, and got back to a throw size quilt I need to get finished. It's just a simple charm square quilt, simple as can be. I know I'll be up against the timing on this, so used cute fabric, Fancy line, and keeping it simple. There's hope for finishing yet. Lou, thanks for starting the thread today.

Comment

I now smell like a fireplace chimney. I spent the day with my sister, as workers began demolishing her home (lost in a fire in March). They were able to access items that my sister couldn’t get to on the second floor. My job was to open each bag/box and itemize what was inside for insurance purposes. This should have been done months ago, but her homeowner’s insurance company has been terrible in providing the monies needed to go about having the home torn down and rebuilt. (Their last offer was $80,000 less than the lowest bid she has received!) My sister is a wonderful, non-confrontational soul. Fortunately, she has finally realized that she has to fight for her rights, this insurance company is not going to do the right thing unless they are forced to do so. Anyhow, I am home, having an early cocktail, and will soon take a relaxing, and I hope, smoke smell removing shower!

Lou, thanks for starting the thread today. I am also someone who looks to September as a new beginning. Probably because of all those years in school, and then being an elementary teacher myself. I also joined the “want to make” group, and I have achieved a few of my goals, so I better get over to that site and post what I did. It has been a rough year for me, though, so I didn’t get anywhere near what I though I would accomplish.

Angelia – best of success with your plans and finishes. Granny Fran – I hope you enjoy making the rag quilt. If you can, purchase the scissors for rag cutting. They are sold on M* and on Craftsy. I think Fiskar makes them. I have them – haven’t used them, but I loaned them to my sister, and she said they were great. Pcbatiks – uh oh! Something for the back burner! Maybe waiting until a couple has been married for a few years is a good idea (and I have a personal reason for saying that!).

Donna – you have a great many projects on your to do list. Much success to you! Claire H – I hope you are feeling better. Prioritization is a great way to decide what to do next. The best thing I learned from my years as a Mary Kay cosmetic consultant was how to prioritize.

I am almost finished the quilting of my Halloween wall hanging. Since this is not a priority for me, I really have to push myself to finish it. But better finished than becoming another UFO.
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I graded a stack of papers and glue basted a quilt today. Progress!
                      Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Angelia View Post
                        I graded a stack of papers and glue basted a quilt today. Progress!
                        Great going!

All I managed was to pack some donations and sweep some dust, move a staging table, do some house searches, design a spreadsheet, wash a KS quilt, change the sheets on the bed, and fix a wonderful dinner.

I hope I never forget how to make my Italian Sausage and Kale soup - love, love, love that stuff. A perfect way to end the day which has been a bit on the chilly and damp side.

Oh, and I kept watching for the moving vans but the nuts didn't show. Bummer!!
                        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                          Great going!

Just remember Sandy, we specialize in moving quilting/sewing rooms only.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                            Great going!

All I managed was to pack some donations and sweep some dust, move a staging table, do some house searches, design a spreadsheet, wash a KS quilt, change the sheets on the bed, and fix a wonderful dinner.

I hope I never forget how to make my Italian Sausage and Kale soup - love, love, love that stuff. A perfect way to end the day which has been a bit on the chilly and damp side.

If it wasn't for the darn sippy cups we would have been tbere!
                            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
                              Just remember Sandy, we specialize in moving quilting/sewing rooms only.
                              Especially fabrics and vintage machines.
                              201's will be given first class considerations.
                              Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

Working...
                              X