Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP 9/29/2016 Progressing through the year, October already? Fall is a time for fresh starts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIP 9/29/2016 Progressing through the year, October already? Fall is a time for fresh starts.

Cleaning is an "order out of chaos" thing for me--I don't mind it really. I do remember how tired I would get when the kids were small, though. The "order" part of "order out of chaos" never lasted very long.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: WIP 9/29/2016 Progressing through the year, October already? Fall is a time for fresh starts.

Thanks everyone on the advice about the snipping scissors for the rag quilt. I almost bought one when J's had the 60% coupon, but decided I would only use it once. Now I can see the wisdom of having one.

Midge, I think your block will square up. It really is too pretty for a cage mat, but maybe a table topper?
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

Loving everyone's work, hope to get some sewing done soon. Thought it might happen today since we had rain and wouldn't be going anywhere. Best laid plans go awry. Today was spent pulling up wall to wall carpet and getting those strips with all those tacks in them up. There' always tomorrow, I'm being optimistic!
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Yay, the electricity is back on. Thank you to the workers with big bucket trucks. Driver took out a pole this afternoon and it just came back on. Needless to say, I haven't accomplished a single, solitary thing in all those hours. Tough. On to tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
            No, you don't have to wash dishes.
            No, I don't need dishes.

Right now I have 3 complete sets, service for 12, to find a home for.

AND I haven't approached the buffet. I know there are at least 4 complete sets there . . .

Who dared call me a hoarder?
            Sylvia's sister? She lost her home, and probably most of the contents from the sound of it. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Fran View Post
              Thanks everyone on the advice about the snipping scissors for the rag quilt. I almost bought one when J's had the 60% coupon, but decided I would only use it once. Now I can see the wisdom of having one.

Midge, I think your block will square up. It really is too pretty for a cage mat, but maybe a table topper?
              Not just for rag quilts, but if I'm doing something that has curves to be clipped I grab those Fiskers snips and clip away. A wonderful investment!! The best thing about them is they are spring-loaded and snap back to open, ready for you to slide and clip!! Worth every single penny.
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Trying something new! English paper piecing! Trying to use up some small squares Sandy Navas sent me a long while back!

Paper piece 1 (800x541).jpg

IMG_20150930_202636141 (800x658).jpg
                Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Granny Fran, thanks for the kind words, but I guess I forgot to mention the block turned out smaller than it is supposed to be as well. I am still going to make another test block and see if I can fix my problems. I don't want to wreck a Christmasy FQ bundle making blocks that are just a bit goofy. I know a lot of it won't show once the quilting and washing occur, but I've got that ole OCD thing going on, and I'll know about it.

Comment

I have a lot of errands for today, but I took the time for reading this post first while having breakfast.

Rockin Lou, I loved your kid's fall dress and I am waiting forward for seeing your pumpkin wall hanging finished.
                    Angelia, congrats on working further in your basting besides having to grade all those papers.
                    Granny Fran, I loved working with flannel and I hope you will, too. I second the advice about those Fiskars rag snippers. I got mine from M* last year.
                    Pcbatiks, never mind the couple splitting, just go on with your quilt. You'll always find somebody worth owning it (maybe yourself?)
                    Donna, congrats for the new coming babies. Small projects are fast progressing and very rewarding, you'll get them on time.
                    Claire H, prioritizing is not only about "what is that needs to be finished first" but "what I am needing to do right now", specially is quilting is a hobby/therapy and not a full time job.
                    Oldsewer, how did your charm quilt go, despise the power outage? You need a treadle or a handcrank to sew when the world seems to be against you!
                    Sylvia H, I'm so sorry for your sister's loss! I hope you can manage help her getting what she deserves from the insurance. When I had my car accident 3 years ago, I had to take a lawyer to be properly attended to. I finally got twice the amount they had first offered me.
                    Sandy, how are you dealing with the dishware so far? I have a 6 set that I use every day (we are 2) and a 35 (one missing) from an deceased great-aunt, that had been sitting in boxes for years in my grandma's garage. When I picked it up I got a sharp remark about being privileged, from a grumpy jealous cousin (she is a bitter old maid, wouldn't cook nor entertain to save her life). Do you now there is a French saying, that moving three times equals a house fire, for getting rid off things?
                    Kimsophia, will you be posting pics of your new long dress? Garment sewing is scary, so far I've only attempted kid clothes for my young nieces. Waiting forward for your comments about your landscape wall hanging, I've never done any.
                    Midge, your block looks awesome to me. There surely will be some thing you can use it for, like a cushion.
                    Meghan, yay for your quilting class and finishing the Wedding Ring table topper.
                    Cathy F, carpet reno could qualify as patchwork, it is some kind of fabric related, isn't it?
                    Shermur, I'm loving your hexies so far. What size are they?

My brain cells haven't recovered yet from those past days exhaustion. I need mindless sewing and no math after I'm done with my other duties. I'm thinking of string foundation piecing. I'm going to need to purchase some solid fabrics for a couple of WIP projects, but the shop that has them at a reasonable price is the one which is the farthest away from here.

Comment

Originally posted by shermur View Post
                      Trying something new! English paper piecing! Trying to use up some small squares Sandy Navas sent me a long while back!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118865[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118866[/ATTACH]
                      So pretty!
                      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

@ Lourixe....the paper pieces are 1" .....fatquartershop had a huge sale on them recently!
                        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Lourixe,

Landscape quilting is easy. It was the first thing I did with a rotary cutter. I watched Alicia Merrett's three video series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUQ38B0AJMAquilt_zoom.jpgquilt.jpg

And I made this orange/purple/red whatcamacallit

Comment

I know... I know... I said I would focus on quilts this month, but I love the patterns I made for myself this summer that I bought from this group of pattern designers awhile back, and they have a new collection released. It is on sale until tomorrow too, which is perfect because we got paid today ;-)

Pattern Anthology - The original sewing pattern design collaboration

...so I had to buy them ;-)

I'm going to go applique some leaves on pumpkin blocks now.... it's a good thing I don't have enough fabric to make myself that Denver Dress right now!!

Comment

image.jpg

The infamous pumpkins. Only the center one is complete, I'm not sure if I'll ever have enough embroidery floss for the vines so I am thinking of putting it aside, as if I have to search for floss locally, it is unlikely that I will finish it before Halloween or Thanksgiving.

So, I don't know, but I do know that for now I will be going to bed!

Comment

Lou, I think it looks good now. Why not add the rest of the vines later on when you get the floss? Don't deprive yourself of using this cute project this year!!
                                No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                                Aesop

Comment

Working...
                                X