wip 8/4/15 August is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wip 8/4/15 August is here!

Summer is racing by with heat, lots of rain but lots of memories too. Some awesome, some not so great. Such is life.

this week I am determined to get Birthday Surprise done. At some point I'll cut my binding strips and get those ready to attach and then it's smooth sailing from there. If it doesn't start talking to me about what it wants to be completed I'll just let it be.

I'd like to finish some squares of the coin with pizzazz. My first half jelly roll quilt.

That's my plan for this week, what's yours?
    sigpicQuilter since 2013.

Re: wip 8/4/15 August is here!

Haven't done much lately too hot. I have chosen fabrics for my matching margo bag and NCW. see http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...ncw-margo.html . Cut some of that out this morning. Need to stop at Joann's on way home for a hot pink zipper. Hoping tomorrow to get a lot done on this project.
    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Comment

Great Granny 2 (800x761).jpg

Whipped this out this morning!
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Hmmm, not sure what my plan is this week. I had planned to start cutting on the sunset strips over the weekend, but ended up with some poison ivy from finishing that pasture last week, Too itchy to concentrate well, so I've been doing machine research to distract me.
        Just when the itchies started to subside I hit a ground hornet's nest with the push mower last night. I escaped with only one sting (thank you to whomever's been praying for me...it was a huge nest!!) but now that is itching and bothering me.

I'm heading off today for the big monthly grocery trip and pick up school supplies and probably wont have the energy to start anything tonight. But, once that's behind me then I will have the rest of the week night to play.
        I know as I was looking through ideas for things last night I was "itching" to get started on fall and Christmas items.
        Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

Sonic, did you try the toothpaste trick on the sting?

Sherri, that block looks amazing!
          sigpicQuilter since 2013.

Comment

Racing is right Amy! Once August is over (our most brutal in temps) I am looking forward to the slow decrease in temps! Promised to help paint today, but no cut in work! Finish up the disappointing Sticks and Stones and simply don't know what will be on the agenda to be honest. Think maybe the heat has me in a "stall" mode here regarding new projects. Nice fabrics there April, Sherri, pretty block! Leah, ewwww, just reading that made me itchy and OW at the same time! Only thing worse than hornets.........and underground bumblebee nest! Have a great day Ladies, off to get coffee, then baseball cap ready for painting.
            Last edited by Carrie J; August 4th, 2015, 06:29 AM.
            What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Amy R View Post
              Sonic, did you try the toothpaste trick on the sting?

Sherri, that block looks amazing!
              No. I actually forgot about that trick. Thanks for reminding me.
              I did monitor my breathing though. Having a kiddo who has to carry an Epi-Pen 24/7 makes me think differently about things like this now. In the past mud, clay, or toothpaste would have been my first thought.... beyond being thankful to have not been totally swarmed.
              Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

I haven't been in my sewing room in soooooo long I hope I still know how to turn on my machine. I need to get busy on a pink and black quilt. It is a birthday gift for one of my nieces friends. I'm going to have to go with one of my speedy (to me) patterns. Let's see....Falling Charms or maybe the one where I slice a layer cake in half. Need to go dig in my stash and see what I've got.
                sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Hugs to Sonic. Hope your week improves rapidly.

I have multiple doctors appointments this week, but plan to start assembling the blocks together on my Echoes quilt. I must have done something incorrectly because I am having to pin match and stretch every place where the isosceles triangle block meets the snowball block. Big sigh. That is why this is my skill building challenge quilt. At least I know how to fix it (stretching does count as a fix, right?)
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Stretching is merely convincing the fabric to behave as it should.

I'm going to start assembling my Sunny Lanes today.

I like to use Caladryl (generic equivalent) on poison ivy, stings and bites. Really helps with the itching. I get the clear kind so it doesn't show--anyone else remember being painted up with the old calamine lotion? My parents thought if medicine didn't burn or leave visual evidence, it didn't work--rubbing alcohol, calamine, and mercurochrome were their go-to remedies.
                    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                      Hugs to Sonic. Hope your week improves rapidly.

I have multiple doctors appointments this week, but plan to start assembling the blocks together on my Echoes quilt. I must have done something incorrectly because I am having to pin match and stretch every place where the isosceles triangle block meets the snowball block. Big sigh. That is why this is my skill building challenge quilt. At least I know how to fix it (stretching does count as a fix, right?)
                      I think this stretching is also known as fudging! LOL

Comment

I pulled out another UFO number 6 for this year that I hope to finish for my Sister birthday. Its going to present some challenges my piecing and the way I square up has changed a lot in the last 8 months and I am going to have to try and make the new blocks I need to make, the same as the ones I already have done. Or tear apart a lot of blocks and redo them not sure if I can do that well as they all seem to fry a lot when I try. All of the fabrics I used on this M big star quilts are discontinued and gone Joann fabrics so I cant redo them Or I won't have enough to do the quilt. Its good to improve but makes things more interesting in going back to old projects
                        Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Just back from a Doc appt. where I got an injection in my hip for hip/back related problems. Going to ice it for awhile, hopefully get upstairs and work some on the I Spy quilt. I really need to get this finished ASAP as the baby is due pretty soon.

Have a nice Tuesday!
                          Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

Morning ladies~

I am a little under the weather today. Struggling through anyways. Sherri, I like that block! Pretty sure it is on my long list of "would like to do" Sonic girl you worry me to like no other! I know this sounds gross but if you wet any kind of tobacco and use a band aid to hold it to the sting it will draw it out and not swell or itch. I keep a can of cheap dip in my fridge and first aid kit at all times. I swear by it since it has worked all my life better than toothpaste or anything else that I have tried.

I got thread for my Dresden last night so I will be working on those tonight. I have made my list of have to get done for Christmas & will slowly work my way through those before anything new gets started.

Dresden
                            star & strips (quilted)
                            hunter star
                            chevron (quilted)
                            pink chevron
                            animal print chevron
                            triangle quilt
                            mystery quilt

anything after those will be a bonus.

Comment

Afternoon all! Still training and doing homework over here. Only three more days of it! Woohoo! Then I need to finish setting up my classroom. I've been working on a unit for web design with coding--it's been really fun so far. As for quilting, I'm fitting in little bits where I can.
                              Carah, I like your list! You have inspired me to make one!
                              Sonic
                              --Ouch! I hope everything gets to feeling better soon.
                              Sherri--I like that block too. I can't wait to finish Quiltsmas so I can try all these new ideas I'm getting from the forum.
                              Stretching is most certainly acceptable I think!

Here's my Quiltsmas list:
                              Music bordered squares (quilt)
                              frozen binding star
                              I spy
                              mom's sampler
                              dad's sampler
                              table runners & bag
                              zippered pouches, ornaments, 1-hour baskets or something else (stocking stuffers)
                              "I must be royalty, I have quilts-in-waiting."

Comment

Working...
                              X