wip 8/4/15 August is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wip 8/4/15 August is here!

Going to start quilting my Sunny Lanes today--it's a big one, so lots of wrangling to be done!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Well, I got quite a bit done on the quilt I was procrastinating on, about 3/4 of the way done quilting it now. I'm working 2 jobs today, so that might be the only progress I make until tomorrow or wednesday, but I feel pretty good about it. I feel like things have been so busy, I can barely catch my breath. It's a good busy though. I also got the first two blocks from the 30s farmer's wife book done. I've never done such tiny blocks. It seems like they use more fabric than the big blocks since I don't know what I'm doing yet. Paper piecing is definitely a challenge for me... Here's my scorecard:

1. Baby quilt - 3/4 quilted - A-
      2. Farmer's wife blocks - A
      3. Table runner & placemats - F (no progress)

Ah well, happy anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by dizzyinthecity View Post
        So, I still have a lot to catch up on, but I couldn't wait to comment on the rest...

WHIPSTICKING: sticking a WIP where the sun don't shine...
        That's a great definition for those quilts that frustrate us!
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

You all know that you keep me going...right?

At a time when I'm up to my back side in canning, preserving, picking, weeding, putting up hay (4 tons just yesterday) fencing, the back to school blitz, and blissful mowing (grrr) ...ya'll keep me sane.
          Seeing the projects and accomplishments before hitting the sack each evening helps me dream of beautiful fabrics made into snuggly quilts, and keeps me positive at a time when sewing time is pretty much non existent.
          Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

Ladies you have all been doing fabulous work! I am so jealous!
            Amy hugs girl, I think you have several things going on in relation to your bothers quilt! Just breath. ((HUGS)))
            Fran isn't that the way it goes! Just another reason to go shopping.
            Denise, I am in love with that quilt.
            Pam amazing is all I can say!
            Sherri, I love the granny blocks!

I have had a long weekend that may take all week to recover from but I seem to have beaten whatever it was that I was sick with. Now if the weather would just cool off a bit I might survive! The binding will be complete tonight and I will move on to getting the Dresden put together, I will only get the top done and worry about quilting with everything else is done unless I can manage to get a day with MIL long arm.

Comment

So, there has been a bit of squirreling going on in my sewing room. After finishing the microwave bowl pot holders, I wasn't sure what to do next. I certainly have enough UFOs, and of course the WIP - Friendship Quilt. But....squirrel.....I have to make a 'rug' to go under the dog crate. So I decided to get that done so I can get the crate moved out of the living room.

For the 'rug', I decided to make 'mile a minute' squares, as it is a technique I wanted to try, and I was definitely going to use scraps for this project. I also wanted to do quilt as you go, but I haven't found any instructions that don't include either more work than I want to put into this project - or a great deal of hand sewing, which I also don't want to do. Since this rug is going to be 42" X 60", it isn't too large to quilt on my machine.

I now have all the blocks made, and will be joining them next. I didn't worry about fabric coordination, as most of this will be under the crate and unseen. I'll put the nicest blocks all around the outside. It will be a nice protection for the hardwood floor from the metal crate, and I saved myself the money of buying a throw rug. (Hey, does that mean I can spend that money of fabric?)

In the process of making these blocks, (squirrel) I considered using my 'ugly' disappearing nine patch top as part of the rug. I put it back up on the design wall. I couldn't bring myself to make it part of the rug. But, I think I have found a way to tone down the wild blocks by changing the border......so that time up on the design wall was productive.

But the best news is TOMORROW.....even if the sun doesn't come out tomorrow, it will be a bright and shiny day because my sister and I are going quilt shop hopping. We are going to the Lancaster/PA Amish area to look for a new sewing machine for her, and we will stop at as many quilt shops as we can. This will be fun. Thinking about my stash, I have some really lovely dark batiks, but need some lighter colors. So that will be my mission for tomorrow, to find some light batiks.
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Great Ideas Sylvia! And since you removed from stash I think that allows for adding more! That's what I work with lol. I been thinking of making a crate cover for my wire crates but never thought of the rug under it. Something else to add to my list along with making new covers for archery targets. You never know when your sewing skills will be put to use lol
                Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Amy love your brothers quilt! First thing I thought about was my son would want to play checkers on it. Might need to make a small one and some soft discs so that we can do that while camping.
                  Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Argh! I went to miter the first corner and I screwed it up so bad I had to frog out out the two first border pieces attached. Seriously, I know how to do this. I am blaming it on the Clairitin I took for my allergies.

Note to self, do not attempt mitered matching border prints while on Clairitin.

Sigh.
                    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy R View Post
                      My brother's quilt is done! Measures about 40x40. Enough to take with him anywhere as he starts his new life.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115572[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115573[/ATTACH]
                      I can see the comfort here in that quilt. So amazing. And no one will ever know the trying time you had with it. I love the colors you have chosen and the chevron border really makes it pop. Now stand back and take a bow on a job well done.
                      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                      Aesop

Comment

Evening all!

Denise--I'm still really liking that quilt!
                        Amy[/COLOR]--Your brother's quilt looks great! I'm sure he's going to love it! The size will make it really nice for him to take with him wherever he goes. Nothing like a bit of family always with you.
                        Sylvia H--I understand the squirrel issue. I've been working on my niece's binding star but other projects keep calling to me, and I keep thinking, ooh I should make this.

I've been doing a bit of sewing, but my parents were in town this weekend, so I've spent most of today cleaning the house back up and getting regular chores done. I spent most of yesterday constructing a quilting frame from pvc pipe from the local hardware store. It actually works really well and I'm most of the way done quilting the baby quilt for my best friend. I'm trying really hard to focus and get stuff done as I go back to school next Tuesday and I'm going to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Festival this weekend. I'm so excited! It'll be my first time attending one of these. I'm going with my mom and her good friend so it should be a fantastic time. I'm planning to head down early on Thursday so I have time to pick up license plates and row by row kits at the local quilt shops.

Here are pics of my progress on the binding star and the new frame.

Binding Star.jpg Quilt Frame.jpg
                        "I must be royalty, I have quilts-in-waiting."

Comment

Got the Sunny Lanes quilted--will bind tomorrow. My shoulders and upper back are too cranky tonight from the wrestling match!
                          Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Josephine those all look beautiful.
                            sigpicQuilter since 2013.

Comment

Working...
                            X