Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flash sewing 3/6/2015

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Rockinlou your blocks are SO gorgeous. The quilt they are going in is going to be beautiful. I had to look you up when you mentioned Woman's Day, something they don't have in the USA. You are from Kazakhstan, wow!! Now I will have to look that up too cause I don't even know where that is. I don't travel much.
    Thanks!! I'm actually American, my husband and I teach at Almaty International School in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Our home in the States is in Atlanta, Georgia, though I grew up in New Jersey.
    Almaty is in the southeastern corner of Kazakhstan, Russia is far to the north and China is just over the mountains to the southeast. The ancient history of the Kazakh tribes are nomadic people, the city of Almaty is on the historic Silk Road. Almaty will become more well known soon, as it is a candidate city for the 2022 Winter Olympics. I will admit that I had to look it up on a map when we were first offered the positions here, that is not uncommon! Kazakhstan was a part of the Soviet Union until it's collapse in 1991. So, though a long cultural history, it is a very young nation politically.

Comment

Added a boarder, quilted and bound this for a gift. Then my husband is trying to talk me out of giving it away....

image.jpg

Comment

Rockinlou, that is one preeeety block.

Comment

I love seeing all the work everyone has been doing!

I have all my blocks for the baby quilt done and now I'll be putting them together for the quilt top. DH is on a cleaning rampage here and I hope I don't get sucked into the vortex LOL
          Attached Files
          Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Marebear View Post
            I love seeing all the work everyone has been doing!

I have all my blocks for the baby quilt done and now I'll be putting them together for the quilt top. DH is on a cleaning rampage here and I hope I don't get sucked into the vortex LOL
            So adorable!!! Baby quilts are so much fun, there are so many pretty fabrics!

Not much done here, well not at all, I should practise hand quilting but my hand and arm hurt a little maybe because tonight I slept over them so... relax time. But I love to see what everyone else is doing
            My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

I spent most of the afternoon adding borders to the two quilt tops I was working with yesterday. The Carolina Chains is finished, at 82" x 82" I think it is large enough! I dread quilting it. I already have a nice tan cotton fabric for the backing, and I am thinking of using flannel instead of regular batting so it would be thinner and lighter, and use it as summer quilt.

The other quilt top is an extremely scrappy Spiderweb. I added a first 2 1/2" strip as inner border, and I am now considering a second very scrappy pieced border to get full size.

Then I started quilting the Big Blue Star quilt. I've been meandering the white negative areas. This quilt has no batting as the backing is thick fleece. I was having trouble at first, with thread raveling and breaking. I assumed it was the fleece's fault and insisted FMQing. I was half way done with a lot of pirate vocabulary when suddently the needle broke. I was surprised, as it was a new one. I changed to another new needle and Wow! It made all the difference! It went like butter after that. I must have had a defective needle.

It's past midnight and too late for pics now, sorry.

Comment

Well, I did get some things accomplished in the sewing room today. I worked on the cushion covers, got the squares cut for 3 Easter zig zag tablerunners and decided on the pattern I will use for the baby quilt ( I'm going to do the Falling Charms).

Sleep well everyone.
                Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

I was just working some more on hand quilting a corner of the old appliqued iris quilt that I am repairing. To get a better grasp on how much was left to do I spread it all out on the floor and rolled it up from one end. Well howdy doodle, I found my "lost" needle--it was stuck in the fabric on the opposite corner that I was working on! With thread attached, still connected to seam. All I can think is, I got so confused as to where I was that I took up repairing the other corner (they are identical). Flipping the quilt around and taking breaks all day, I got lost. Ha, I was lost and not the needle :P But I won't step on it! YAY

It's very inspirational to read about all the work y'all are doing.

Comment

All I found time to do this weekend was make binding and load the quilt onto the frame. Hope I can get a free day this week to get it quilted. Loved seeing everyone's projects.
                    sigpicAnita G.

Comment

Nothing flash about me this weekend. Baby girl is sleeping so badly at night that I have to keep getting up to her. The result is that by early evening when I would sit and relax to sew, I am so weary that I fall asleep wherever I am sitting.

Comment

Well, I did get to work on the slipcover pattern for awhile and I also did some quilting on my grandsons quilt. Hoping to get that finished so I can bind it and get it in the mail soon.
                        Everyone has done so much this weekend. I love looking at all the pics. Well, onto another week...hope to see you next weekend!
                        Cil
                        A quilt is a blanket of love
                        http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                        http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Thank you ladies for another weekend of motivation. Actually got some sewing done!!!
                          sigpicQuilter since 2013.

Comment

Working...
                          X