Making tote bags for a local children's shelter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making tote bags for a local children's shelter

For the last few years I have been making tote bags for a local children's shelter, The Night's Shield This shelter takes in children removed from homes for abuse, neglect, arrest of the parents, etc. When the children are taken from home, their possessions, clothing, etc., are put into large trash bags to transport to the shelter. When the children are discharged, Night's Shield sends them off with three changes of clothing, school supplies, etc. The staff did not like sending things in trash bags, it just sends the message that the kids and their stuff doesn't matter.

So I and several other women have taken on the task of sewing tote bags for the kids' clothing. We have made hundreds and hundreds of these bags in the few years since the shelter opened. I myself have made over 140 tote bags this year. The bags are about the size of a standard pillowcase. We use whatever fabric is donated. If we have yardage, we make the bags a yard long (about 34" x 22" finished) and add handles.

Is there a place on this forum to ask if people want to make tote bags for Night's Shield? Or even donate yardage for us to make the bags? Tote bags could be sent directly to Night's Shield, so there would be no question that the bags are going for the kids. (The street address is on the bottom of the website home page linked above.) If this post is inappropriate or not in keeping with forum guidelines, I apologize and ask the management to remove it.

Re: Making tote bags for a local children's shelter

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1588886Click image for larger version

Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1588888

Click image for larger version

Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1588887

Comment

I posted three photos (and that took me 15 minutes), and they're upside down or sideways. Sorry! I am so bad at computer stuff.

The three photos show some of the bags I've made from donated fabric.

Comment

Anyway, I thought the readers of this forum might have extra yardage lying around. These bags are quick to make up and I thought someone might want to help out. Thanks in advance!

Comment

My suggestion would be to make a group for your project and post it in Sew Together Far Apart Category. There are actually several charity groups within the forum. The PICU Quilts in Honor of Gabe is mine, COC Quilts, and Cyber Elves Give Back. I am sure the generous women of the forum are sure to jump in to help out your cause.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Many thanks for all you do!
            Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
              My suggestion would be to make a group for your project and post it in Sew Together Far Apart Category. There are actually several charity groups within the forum. The PICU Quilts in Honor of Gabe is mine, COC Quilts, and Cyber Elves Give Back. I am sure the generous women of the forum are sure to jump in to help out your cause.
              I would love to make a group for this. I searched the How to Use this Forum part and could not find information. Can anyone give me an idea on how to start a group?

And I got one private message from a kind quilter who is going to send me some fabric to use, thank you!

I have made 15 tote bags this week, it's nice to see the "designated fabric" pile get smaller and the "tote bag" pile get bigger!

Comment

I have had a couple of private messages asking for addresses to send yardage or finished bags. Thanks, ladies (and gentlemen)!

Here is another attempt to post a photo:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/.../imagejpg2.jpg

Here's another, same photo but maybe it will show:

These tote bags are for the kids to haul their stuff from the shelter to their next stop, usually foster care. The size doesn't need to be exact, we aim for about the size of a pillowcase, roughly 20" x 30". If I have yardage, I use about a yard in length, and then sew up the selvedge so the width is width-of-fabric folded. We add handles, either from self-fabric or we use purchased belting, making the handles about 12-15" long, cut length.
                Last edited by Betsy D; October 30th, 2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

As someone already suggested, putting your request in the Groups section would garner more visibility and attention. Is there a place where the instructions for the totes are found? I did not see it on the site you referenced but I only gave a cursory look.
                  See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

What a lovely idea. So much nicer as you said than a trash bag!

Comment

What a nice cause Betsy. If you go to the top of the page and click groups, there is a button create group. I think you will get a lot of people that want to help that don't want to make a whole quilt.
                      sigpic

Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Betsy D View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]90854[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]90856[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90855[/ATTACH]
                        Betsy, this is just a wonderful way to help your community. As for your pics, well, I just click twice to enlarge and viola...right side up. Can't tell you why cause I'm not savvy in this department either.

Thanks for sharing.
                        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                        Aesop

Comment

Several people suggested I make a Group, and told me how to do that, and I did! Thank you, one and all! It is so appreciated!

Comment

I was asked to provide more information about the kids served at Night's Shield. The kids served are ages birth-18 years. They have up to fourteen kids at a time. Boys and girls. So really all fabric will work. The workers try to pick a bag the child would like. Some kids are there for a few days, some a few weeks, and a few (mostly harder to place teens) are there for months.

Night's Shield takes in children from anywhere in Illinois who need to be removed from a home because of something going on with the parents (criminal activity, drug use, child abuse, mental illness) that make it so the child cannot be cared for at home. Sometimes foster homes are not immediately available, and sibling groups often are separated in foster care because many homes just take one gender or age group. Night's Shield takes sibling groups intact. When the kids do leave NS, that's when these tote bags are used.

We have been making these tote bags for over five years, and we will continue to make these bags on into the future, so there is no deadline at all.

If you want to send fabric for tote bags, PM me for my address. For sewn tote bags, you can send them directly to Night's Shield:

Brenda Toms, Administrative Secretary
                            The Night's Shield Children's Shelter
                            301 East Garland
                            West Frankfort, IL 62896

Comment

Here is their website:

The Night's Shield

Comment

Working...
                              X