Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just for those who have the extra time and love.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for those who have the extra time and love.....

http://24blocks.com/2014/02/7-nation...pt-quilts.html

7 National Charities That Accept Quilts

Making quilts isn’t just a way to let your creativity shine – it can also be a great way to help people in need. We’ve gathered a few national charities that will gladly take quilts as donations, helping people feel warm and comfortable through tough times.

where to donate quilts

These are a select few organizations, but there lots of local and national charities that need donations like these. Hospitals and shelters everywhere would likely love new quilts – simply call these local organizations to see if they'll accept these kinds of donations. Or, check out the ones below -- some of which even have patterns on their website.
    1.Project Linus

This well-known organization has been donating blankets to children in need since 1998, and in that time has given out millions of comforting blankets. Lots of local chapters are scattered throughout the country, so you can search the website’s map and find a drop-off site close to you.

Click here to visit the website.

2.Quilts of Valor

This organization is dedicated to donating quilts to veterans, offering them comfort on their return home. This charity has given away nearly 100,000 quilts to soldiers and veterans, and offers specific instructions on its website on what to do/not to do when crafting a quilt for these brave men and women.

3.Quilts for Kids

Dedicated to giving comforting quilts to children’s hospitals, Quilts for Kids has chapters across the United States. You can donate your own handmade quilts – made nice and sturdy to handle hospital washings – or even volunteer at a local chapter. Quilts for Kids recently partnered with Downy, which helped get 20,000 quilts donated to hospitalized children.

4.Victoria’s Quilts

This organization takes donations of handmade quilts and then gives them to cancer patients and cancer treatment centers. The website offers specific sizes for baby, child, and adult quilts, and simply asks that you sew a provided label onto the quilts before sending them off to patients. Originally started in 1998 in honor of Deborah Rogers’s sister-in-law, Victoria, this charity has made countless donations to people of all ages.

5.Northwest Quilters’s Comforting Quilts

This organization accepts all kinds of donations, from infant quilts to give to fire stations to lap quilts for nursing homes. There are some brief guidelines about quilt size and construction, and thousands were donated last year alone.

6.Sweet Pea Project

Dedicated to donating blankets to hospitals and birthing centers, this center makes blankets for babies who are stillborn. Parents who experience this devastating loss can still spend time with their swaddled baby, later getting the blanket as a keepsake and memory of their child. So far, this organization has donated 6,000 blankets of comfort to all 50 states as well as a few other countries, too.

7.Wrap Them in Love

This charity donates quilts to children both locally and internationally, and it is always getting requests for handmade blankets. You can either send blocks or whole blankets, and this organization will distribute them to children experiencing tough times.

There are so many more organizations both big and small that would eagerly accept handmade, new quilts to donate to babies, children, the elderly, and other people in need. Whether you pick one of these charities or something more local, your comforting and beautiful quilt will mean a lot to whoever receives it.
    Last edited by K. McEuen; February 5, 2014, 10:17 AM. Reason: adding links
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Re: Just for those who have the extra time and love.....

I'm clueless! I can't see the links to the websites. What am I doing wrong?
    Diane Gulick
    Proud Grandma of 7 grandchildren and wife to the most wonderful husband ever.

Comment

Originally posted by grandma of 6 View Post
      I'm clueless! I can't see the links to the websites. What am I doing wrong?
      If you click on the first link (24 Blocks) it will bring you to the master list.
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

My bad, grandma of 6....I should have deleted the web addresses since they weren't highlighted. But Blondie is correct....thanks!
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

And for those of you that might want to join other forums members in making charity quilts, we have some groups here ...

Bereavement Quilt Group
          http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gro...ilt-group.html

NICU/PICU Quilt Group
          http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gro...onor-gabe.html

Circle of Comfort Group
          http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gro...rt-quilts.html
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Karen, Thanks for the heads up about the groups right here who do that very thing, making quilts for those in need.

My group, the Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital, PICU donated 173 quilts from Nov, 2012 thru Nov 2013.

Blondies group, sent 53 quilts out last year, several of them being hand quilted by Blondie herself.

New York Sue, just started her bereavement quilt group recently, so I don't have any numbers for that one.

Any of us would be thrilled to have you make quilts for us to send out or deliver to our "special to us" groups.

Thank you ahead of time if you decide to join one of our groups.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

There is another group on the forum (as well as FB) that does pillowcases and other small projects each quarter for kids in the hospital, led by our very own Ruby (HandsOffitsMine)

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gro...rive-2013.html

Any contribution to any of these groups is greatly appreciated. I belong to all of the forum charity groups. Have several projects in process for each of them. I just need to get some finished!
              Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Thanks so much for the links Sherri! And how wonderful that so many here have groups that donate quilts as well!

No matter which group any of us chooses to use, whether it be from here on the forum or elsewhere, the end result is the same - lots of happy people with comfort quilts made from love! And that is a wonderful thing to be a part of. I personally go through my church to make and donate quilts to folks in need, and it is so rewarding.
                Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this! I am bookmarking it for reference. I have my hands full at this time because I'm still finishing my mom's quilt and also working on a quilt for a very sick little girl that's local to me. However, I definitely want to contribute to some charities as well and have ideas for some of these as well....Thanks!
                  :icon_wave: Teresa

Comment

Thank you for sharing this information.
                    bjsmith57

Comment

The Linus Project operates here in England too and have a stand at the NEC in August where you can hand in the quilts you've made for them.

Comment

How lovely. I hope some of our UK friends jump on the band wagon.
                        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                        sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this! Very thoughtful

Comment

Working...
                          X